When homemade detergent doesn't cut it

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by albionjessica, Nov 17, 2006.

1. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I have tried all sorts of homemade detergent recipes, and none of them get my husbands nasty work clothes clean. He comes home with all sorts of smelly, greasy stains (coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid, oil, diesel, bondo, etc)... and the only detergent that seems to make them come out less smelly and spotty is Tide.

Anyone know of anything I can use to "boost" the power of my homemade detergent? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a jug of Tide to use only on his clothes?

Thanks!

2. Pouncer

Pouncer Well-Known Member

TSP (tri sodium phosphate) if you can find it anywhere. Maybe up to a tablespoon in a five gallon bucket, presoak, then wash

3. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

Try rubbing in some waterless hand cleaner and then Dawn dish liquid. Or even WD-40 and then Dawn. Adding baking soda to the wash always gets the nasty smells out for me.

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband has oily skin and his pillow case is always stained with oil. This drives me crazy and I always try to give him the same one.I couldnt get it out with Dawn dish soap. I found some FulSol from Fuller Brush and added to my wash and it takes the Oil stain completely out of the sheets. I love this stuff it will work wonders.You can get it on Ebay if you dont find a dealer near you.

6. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I gave up on homemade laundry soap. It doesn't clean stains.

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I keep Tide on hand for clothes my homemade soap won't get clean.

I love my homemade soap. It works great 85% of the time. The other 15%, a detergent is the way to go.

8. neolady

neolady Well-Known Member

TSP should work and you should be able to find it in the wallpaper department of your local store.

9. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

I hate to be a negative nelly here, but I have to weigh in on the Tide suggestions. I have used Tide for years and I LOVE it - but recently I have broken out in a rash on various parts of my body. I am miserable with it. I went to the Dr. for a checkup and mentioned it and she said "You don't use Tide, do you?" I said, yes, I've used it for years. She said that Tide is about the most effective detergent you can buy, and it is a dermatologists nightmare. People who have never had allergies, will suddenly react to Tide. She said it's the worst for that. I have no other proof of it, but I am changing my detergent.

Just something to keep in mind as you decide what to do.

Penny

10. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

If they are just work clothes, stick with the home grown detergent. A few stains aren't the end of the world. If it's the smell ur concerned with, add baking soda.

11. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah yes, where the tire of philosophy meets the road of reality. Get some detergent, Tide or otherwise. If you get a rash, double rinse. Life is too short to go around in stained, smelly clothes just because Grandma did.

12. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

I too gave up on homemade detergents. I've made all sorts of differnet recipes and have used them on/off over the years. I now just buy the All Free & Clear from Costco and call it a day. We just have too much laundry and it is just too dirty to use the homemade. We have really hard water though and I may try and another go at making homemade once we get our water in order.

13. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

Try presoaking in Biz. If that doesn't cut it make a mix of Biz and Simple Green in a spritz bottle and pretreat the stains that way.

14. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

This stuff is GREAT!!
    http://www.charliesoap.com/index.asp

It's biodegradable and really gets the dirt and odors out. It doesn't cover it up like Tide and other detergents. It gets stuff really clean. You can use it for just about anything too. And their all-purpose cleaner is fabulous too.

15. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

We get heavy-duty degreaser in the janitor section at Sam's Club and I use that in greasy loads. Took the body oil out of my husband's and son's collars and works really well on pillowcases, too. Doesn't harm the colors, fabric, or septic tank. Doesn't take a lot, either.

I can't use the homemade soaps as we have really hard water. I do add white vinegar to the rinses, and it's amazing how much the interior of the machine has cleaned up.

16. a1cowmilker

a1cowmilker Well-Known Member

Yep, I gave up homemade laundry soap as well. Talk about dingy!

I use triple strength All because is was on sale at an unbelievable $2.00 a bottle. (regular $4.99).

Now, what in the world am I going to do with 30 bars of fels naphta bar soap that I bought in to big of a hurry?

17. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

You can check out Jerry Baker's gardening books...he tells how to use it in gardening to keep pests at bay.

18. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

My homemade soap works great, but I am using my old fashioned lye soap. It works great on stains.

19. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

As part of history my daughter read a book about a family in charge of washing George Washington's uniforms....the women collected the bedpans in the morning and set the uniforms to soak for a day :shrug: Cheap source of amonia :rolleyes:

20. clamjane

clamjane Well-Known Member

I also gave up on the homemade detergent. I am going to try and use my five gallons on fire ant beds. Any other suggestions welcomed. I have been using liquid Trend from Dollar General. I soaked some oil drenced blue jeans in it and it got it all out. It is very inexpensive too.