Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A small SHTF for my hubby today - he had to drive to a town 100 miles away for an important meeting. He pulled up the address on his phone's GPS and drove...and drove....and drove. And eventually realized the GPS had sent him to the wrong place. He called me at home and I was able to pull up mapquest and googlemaps to see landmarks and cross streets to get him back on track. He's late for the meeting, but at least he's going to get there. He was driving his old truck, and the paper maps were in a different vehicle our daughter is driving today.

The point of my post is that as self-sufficient people we should all have paper maps in our cars. They might get outdated, but the general information doesn't change. And we should be able to use a map with a compass, to figure out where we are where we need to go. Lots of younger people have never even used a paper map, since they grew up with GPS.

We keep state maps of NC, SC, VA and TN in our cars. We have an all-US spiral bound atlas in our trunks in case we go farther than the next state. We also have several state maps and topo maps in our BOBs. We have a get-home route planned for our daughters at college, highlighted on a map that's been laminated. The plan is to go to meet them if there's a serious issue and they have to walk home.

·
Premium Member
25,284 Posts
It was a sad day for me when our county stopped offering county paper maps at the BMV. I loved those maps and got quite a bit (actually too much) use out of them. I get turned around and mighty confused easily, especially with all the continual road construction.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Having inaccurate GPS has some good in that people who are led by them using can't find you either. Where I live, GPS is simple wrong. So, if a delivery person or government official brushes me off when I try to give directions, I will usually get a call from them after they have cruised back and forth for twenty or thirty minutes without success. That is if they have the one cell service that actually works on my road. It's automatic justice for arrogance.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I've had 2 dif GPS. One time it sent me out in the country; there was a sign but no road. I stopped at the next house. She told me there was no GPS signal there. She gave me directions and said I wasn't the first person that happened to.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
In a SHTF situation I wouldn't use GPS for fear of it being tracked.

I asked a person once why they came this convoluted way... its the way GPS said they should take. LOL Another person came at the same time but yet the GPS showed them the normal way to go.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
So, if you are using a GPS, which one has the most up to date maps & free download?

I ask as I'll be travelin' to Atlanta soon to look at houses & areas for my future move.....Not to use here as I know as rural as I am, sometimes they don't work.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Nobody using GPS has gotten closer than 3/4 mile to us. They usually end up in a horse pasture, calling for directions.

Mapquest aggravates me with all the detailed directions on how to get out of my own neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
My best GPS story is when I was trying to find the back way into a small city about 90 minutes away. At one point, my GPS told me to "Navigate off road". Who knew that a GPS even knew how to say that? So there I was, facing a big old soybean field, and the GPS wanted me to drive through it. Um...no.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Several people have died here in the NW by following their GPS. I don't know why you would drive up a summer road you are not familiar with in winter or go around gates onto a logging road, but people will if the GPS tells them to. It seems that their faith in electronic devises exceeds their common sense.

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
I don't own a GPS , used them in boats many a time as I did loran before gps , my father in law brought 2 with one for me to drive with and one for him to watch in back seat when i drove to SC last year , he would have the directions up i would have the map up , as a map that follows along they are not bad as directions like any other directions unless they have a map with them the are about useless at some point.

what i really miss is my boat compass mounted to the windshield of my truck , I need to get another one of those

GPS can be handy but I am a map guy , there was a movie with tom cruise and a foot ball player and he had his catch phrase "show me the money" well i have one , well actually 2 but we will leave the other for now "show me the map"

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Several people have died here in the NW by following their GPS. I don't know why you would drive up a summer road you are not familiar with in winter or go around gates onto a logging road, but people will if the GPS tells them to. It seems that their faith in electronic devises exceeds their common sense.
sounds like darwin award candidates , the sad part is that because they have no idea where they are unless the little talking box tells them they follow it to their death without using a strong dose of common sense

some people if you gave them a watch with the correct time and they needed sunglasses at sunset because a big orange ball of light was glaring in their eyes would still believe they were driving east if the little box told them so

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
For some reason, maps.google and mapquest put any new roads that they didn't know the location of for my town at my driveway. We get lots of lost people looking, and for a while they had one of the new schools (that is 5 miles away) at the bottom of my drive. Where my sister lives, the original plan was for a road to be put in to the main road right across from her house 20 years ago. Before the houses were built that road was scrapped, but it still shows up on printed maps and all of the GPS programs we've looked at but it doesn't exist. The only program I've seen that is correct is WAZE, and that's because locals can edit the maps to correct them. Usually if a road is closed for a period someone local will mark it in Waze. We had a road closed for about a year while they were building a new school (it was a cut through but had no houses or businesses on it), and it was shown as closed the day after it closed on Waze, and when it reopened this summer it showed up the next day.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
My Garmin has been wrong. But, it has been very helpful also.

If I’m not lost, but need directions from the house, I map quest first so I have a general idea of where I am going. I use the Garmin to fine tune. This is especially helpful on a dark and stormy night and I can’t read the signs. But, like you said, map quest can be wrong. Between the two, I hit the road and look for adventure.

Not every place is on the Garmin (and probably Magellan and others), so it is wise to write down the address.

Reactions: OK Yankee

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
There have been a few times the old Garmin was invaluable. Once when I was dropping someone off at a teeny regional airport before daylight, in a rural area with no streetlights, and I had never been in that area before. The Garmin took us right to the airport, and, even better, took me back to the motel because there were so many turns I wouldn't have been able to do it by memory. But there have been other times, it didn't give the right route, would have taken us way out of the way, but having a road atlas we checked the route and figured that out beforehand.

I find it very handy to glance at it to keep track of how many miles until the next turn or exit.

I don't like the aps on the smart phones as well as the Garmin device. The advantage of the Garmin, you can use it while driving, where with a road atlas you need a co-pilot or a place to pull over and read it. But having a map along for backup is invaluable.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Every time I get a caller on the phone I tell him I will meat him and lead him in here. Many of them have said thanks for meating me my GPS is useless when I put in your address. Even the sheriff has trouble finding my place.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Sounds like I am not missing a thing not having GPS.
All my piloting on the Great Lakes was done the old tryed and proven way with paper charts and compass etc.
When on the big water and out of sight of land and or in fog you best know what your doing.

I'll stick with paper thank you.....

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I love maps. But I'm thinking of getting a GPS for our cross country move coming up next spring. Not to rely on, I'd always have to see the maps as well (!), but because if I'm driving, DH can't look at a map and answer my questions!! We usually plan the driving so I'm navigating all the difficult areas.

I think they're great for cities and highways, but the backwoods of Oregon, no way!!

And nothing will ever replace my DeLorme Gazeteers!

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
The year was 1999. I was hunting moose up in the northern forest 20 miles north of my home. I was a newly wed, and was trying hard to put some meat on our table and impress my new bride. Now the forest of northern Saskatchewan is not a little block of woods. From the point where I park the truck at the forest boundary, to the tundra, it is an unbroken expanse maybe 1500 miles thick.

So because of this, I always carry a topo map, a compass or two, and my old handheld Magellan. I snuck up on a small bull, and ahem, missed him three times as he stood there looking at me. So I started tracking him. That was strike one.

Strike two was when it started to snow. Strike three was when I got lost.

So I pull out Magellan, and consult with him. No satellites, NONE. I could not get a dang reading in the deep spruce woods. No problem, there is a lake over there. I will just walk out onto the ice and I should be able to pick up a signal. Nope.

It is really snowing now. Out comes the map, as I noticed the lake I was standing on was "L" shaped. My compass is telling me the long end of the "L" is pointing west. My map only shows about 36 "L" shaped lakes in my vicinity.

I am sweating now. Following my compass, I head due southeast, towards the road and my truck. Pretty soon, I come across another hunters tracks, and follow them as they are heading right where I wanna go. And then I follow the tracks onto an "L" shaped lake.

Oh heck, I am walking in circles! Following my own tracks.The sweat is pouring now. It is minus 15C.

First rule, trust your compass, right? I was now strongly suspecting my compass was haywire, my dang gps still gave me no signal, and my map appeared to be upside down. As I stood there on the lake for the third time, (I had circled around again, this is a freaky feeling!) I had noticed that the mosses on the base of the trees and the other signs were saying the compass was EXACTLY backwards, and that the lake I was on was a lake on the map that was upside down.

And then miracle of miracles, the sun came out for a fleeting 5 seconds, whereby I regained where south was without a doubt.

I KNEW EXACTLY WHERE I WAS ALL ALONG!!!

So I head for the south end of the lake and towards a drainage system that would take me near to the truck. Trouble is, a large white-tail buck was crossing a beaver dam up ahead, so I gave him 165 grains of BAM! Now I have a 160 class, nearly 300 lb, Saskatchewan White-tail buck 7 miles from the truck, in some of the most desolate country imaginable. But that is another story for another day...

My point is that trip instilled a fear in me I have not had before or since. My compass was lying to me, my gps would not work. If not for my stubborn distrust of my compass, and the sun peeking out for a bit, who knows? Had I just been able to knock that bull moose down that set me off course when I tracked him, the story would have ended there...

Since that day, I trust gps technology... So long as I can get a signal. Compasses? Not so much.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I can honestly say I've never even looked at a GPS, wouldn't have a clue how to even use one, lol. I like maps and keep and atlas and some more detailed maps in my truck at all times. I also have a compass, a whistle and a signal mirror just in case, along with all my other surivval gear. Old-fashioned works for me. :)

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
The maps of this area have my road listed as A03. Not the street name. A gps will tell you to use a road that was never built. If people don't follow directions, they'll never get here. Fortunately the sheriff dept knows how to get here. A guy that used to live down the street was a frequent "visitee" of theirs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts