Homesteading Forum banner

101 - 120 of 217 Posts

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,696 Posts
Details, like receiving 4211 votes, LOL.
That's irrelevant.
People voting a straight Republican ticket could account for those without them even knowing who was running.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,617 Posts
That's irrelevant.
People voting a straight Republican ticket could account for those without them even knowing who was running.
That is the point. Voting for someone without even having a clue who they are. Not very informed at exactly what the person voted for was trying to prove. Not at all irrelevant.

·
78,696 Posts
That is the point. Voting for someone without even having a clue who they are. Not very informed at exactly what the person voted for was trying to prove. Not at all irrelevant.
That's not "support' nor "choosing".

It has nothing to do with the candidate's motives, which seems mainly to be making himself the center of attention.

Voting a straight ticket is about knowing who they aren't. ;)

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,617 Posts
They voted for someone with no clue who that person was because they had a certain letter beside their name. That is the ultimate uninformed voter. For all, they know they are really support the other party. They supported them by voting for them.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
That's not "support' nor "choosing".

It has nothing to do with the candidate's motives, which seems mainly to be making himself the center of attention.

Voting a straight ticket is about knowing who they aren't. ;)
Absolutely, there was no intention of actually becoming sheriff in the first place. Debate, or trying to make some kind of point is an extremely lame reason to run for the position. It really serves no purpose in the long run.

·
78,696 Posts
Voting for someone without even having a clue who they are.
They have a clue what he's not.
That means they are well informed about the other party. :)

She does want to be Sherriff. She is just realistic about her chances.
So you say.

The documented evidence contradicts your claims once again

Patterns..........

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
She?
Pretty sure that is a guy with a little glamor touch.
Fairly common issue. Not knowing for sure if they are female or male or trying to pretend something. Thankfully its not to hard to just use generic terms if its not possible to just avoid the situation. Between the the race issues and these gender issues its getting pretty normal to just keep the contact to the bare minimum and go on down the road. That way its less likely any offense can be taken. Let them do their thing but leave me out of it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I'm gonna stick with "it". Why don't we just start calling everybody "it" because these days nobody can be sure and that should be equally inoffensive to everyone. Even the trans people who change their minds later

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Say for instance someone is showing their cattle at a county fair. Is it appropriate to make sure everyone who walks by is acutely aware of a cow owner's sexual orientation? Should there be rainbow or gay pride flags over their cattle's pens?

There are just some places where proclaiming your sexual orientation does not fit in any way you slice it
Can you tell us where the rainbow/pride flag hurt you? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't even understand the concept of pride in an inherent and immutable characteristic. "Proud to be ...", when filled in with something like race just seems to be another form of "othering". Perhaps it can be innocuous but it can certainly go way too far, as we witnessed the middle of last century.

I would prefer to reserve pride for accomplishments or character traits, which are the result of choices, rather than anything anyone has no control over.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't even understand the concept of pride in an inherent and immutable characteristic. "Proud to be ...", when filled in with something like race just seems to be another form of "othering". Perhaps it can be innocuous but it can certainly go way too far, as we witnessed the middle of last century.

I would prefer to reserve pride for accomplishments or character traits, which are the result of choices, rather than anything anyone has no control over.
I think your cautionary note on when pride morphs into superiority or hyper-nationalism is well-placed and worthy of reflection. There is a difference between being proud of who you are and feeling you are better than "the others", and the line can get blurry.

As a general principle, being prideful is maybe not particularly desirable. HOWEVER, I would distinguish that general principle from how it applies to marginalized groups. In instances, like the LGBT population, where people have been shamed, discriminated against, or had violence visited upon them because of this immutable characteristic, damage has been done. So, if as a society, we have to make a point of pumping up that pride with an occasional parade, rainbow flag or speciality cable TV channel, it just seems like we are helping to undo some of that damage.

I think eventually we get to a point where the presence of LGBT members of our community is both unremarkable and unremarked on. Ironically, when we get to the point where people stop complaining about the Gay Pride parade, we probably won't need the parade anymore....

·
78,696 Posts
So, if as a society, we have to make a point of pumping up that pride with an occasional parade, rainbow flag or speciality cable TV channel, it just seems like we are helping to undo some of that damage.
I will gladly apologize to any individual I personally have damaged.
I owe no apologies for what some others may have done.

Don't ask don't tell is still the best policy.

Reactions: nehimama
101 - 120 of 217 Posts