when does swiss chard flower?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by primal1, May 24, 2006.

1. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been growing swiss chard for years now and even brought some inside for a winter but I have yet to see one even attempt to flower. Can anybody tell me what I need to do to harvest my own chard seeds?

thanks.

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Technially it's a biennial but I've kept it from blooming for several years by keeping it "picked". If you want seeds, let one clump grow undisturbed--don't harvest. BTW, goldfinches love swiss chard--I never had my camera ready when they came by to nibble the leaves and now I'm not growing any.

3. primal1

thanks for the info, I'll grow some in containers to bring in for the winter as they will not survive outdoors. Not sure if we have Goldenfinches up here.. maybe i'll find out next year:).
    Not growing any swiss chard anymore?

4. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

It finally died out after about 8 or 10 years; nobody in my family ate it and I haven't planted it again. I can't imagine taking plants inside but I don't have your winters; you should try mulching some outside just to see if it survives.

5. primal1

wow, i had no idea they lived so long! I'll mulch this year for sure just to see what happens.
    I have some lights indoors for plants like my habanaro, purple basil and rosemary that can't do our winters, it's something i couldn't do without now... fresh herbs all winter:).
    I searched the net and can't even find pictures of chard flowers, quite bizar!