Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
I don't normally bottle feed, I leave mine on the doe until they wean and I milk once a day for the entire time. However, I had a doe that kidded with twin does and would have nothing to do with them so I had to bottle feed. I kept one and gave the other to my aunt, I told her I would give her milk to feed it but she thought she knew more. Anyway, the doe I kept and fed from my dairy does milk thrived! She has passed her 1/2 brother in size. The one my aunt took lived only 3 weeks to a month and never really thrived. Both goats got the same colostrum and the same amount because I kept them both for 4 days. As long as the one was on goats milk she did fine but after being changed to replacer she withered and died, my aunt even took her to the vet but it didn't help.

If yo practice CAE prevention you would have pulled the kids and not let them nurse from the doe at all. BUt if they have already....we put the kids up at night and take the morning milk and then let the kids have the day milk. Works well as we don't always have time in the evenings to milk so the kids do it for us :p
I don't really like bottle babies mobing me. And our babies are very tame cause the moms are tame so we get lots of oppertunity to handle them plus extra petting when we put them away for the night and some nice grain in the mornings with some handling.
Enjoy them!
Pam

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.