Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a FF who had one buck 4 days ago. We have been milking her (not all the way, but mostly out) twice a day. The buckling is on her 24/7 right now. When will her milk come in? I've been watching her udder closely and haven't noticed a huge increase. Will it be obvious like in humans?

And.....how soon after freshening can we start drinking the milk?

Thanks!

Dee

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Milk supply is so variable from breed to nutrition...so just keep milking her while the buck nurses, if she doesn't have milk for you to milk out she is just going to be a poorer milker. Around 3 days you can drink the milk, to be certain simply take some of the milk in coffee cup and microwave it, if it simply boils and doesn't have little eraser hard balls in it from the heated colostrum, than it's fine to drink. Vicki

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Just curious Vicki, you say it is ok to drink if there is no colostrum, so what is not ok with drinking milk that has some colostrum in it? just a yucky taste, or is there some reason we shouldnt drink it? Guess I was not real technical about it. With my FF I just waited about 3 or 4 days, then tasted. The milk tasted fine to me, so I quit giving it to the dogs! lol!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Actually colostrum is very healthy for you. A lot of people use it internally and externally for infections and illnesses. Fried colostrum is a delicassy (sp) in some cultures. The thing is most people don't like the taste.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
My doe's milk had a raw meat smell for about a week, so I waited until that "smell" was gone. That must have been the colostrum.

MamaDee, one of my doe's milk did not come in for almost a week. Others were sprouting fountains before kidding, so it's all different. I was in a tizzy with her, but her bucklings did just fine, they got enough. When her milk did come in, it was gradual but she peaked at a gallon a day, with two bucklings on her and taped off at night for 12 hrs.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
As long as the milk has any colostrum in it you can't sell it...an most folks find it unappetizing so just answered it in that vein. Colostrum sells for $60 per gallon, we sell 1/2 pints frozen to body builders and others, so colostrum is valuable. Tell your vets in the area, the folks raising dogs, horses (miniature horses must be the worst moms going, we sell soo much colostrum to those raising them) deer etc...tell them you have raw goats colostrum for emergencies. Vicki

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
I really hate the taste of goats milk with any hint of colostrum in it so wait a week plus before drinking it, just me.

I have heavy milkers that give lots and lots of colostrum so freeze lots of it. My vet and neighbors know I have it ready for any emergencies....just good to have on hand. Dated, labeled, from CAE, CL negative does. I keep it from the first 12 hours for the best colostrum. Most nutritious.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
It makes decent pancakes.

Mama Dee, milk her all the way out now, twice a day. Anytime milk is left in her udder, her production will drop from what it is, or not increase to what it should be. If production is not encouraged early on in the lactation, they tend to produce a lowered amount of milk all the way through.

Even if you aren't going to use or sell the colostrum (I freeze it for goat baby emergencies), milk it all out and do whatever with it. If you know of anyone who's constipated, it has a laxative effect.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, two days ago I thought her milk tasted o.k. That would have been day four, so I was suprised. On day five we planned on separating the baby from her that night and doing the bottle thing. (As soon as the milk is drinkable we need to get every bit of it--for our five human kids and to sell the extra. Right now we are feeding nine goats with not alot of milk to show and are going broke doing it!) Anyway.......we tasted the milk from that day....yuck! So we didn't separate them. I figure as long as we can't drink the milk, the kid might as well. As soon as it tastes o.k., though, we will do bottles.

We really thought about the night only separation thing. It's a matter of money for us right now, though. We can simply sell the milk for more than it costs to feed the kid from a bottle. When we have more does bred/lactating and paying their way, hopefully we can do the night separation method.

So....I keep tasting milk and waiting. My three year old is a glutton for punishment. He keeps asking to taste Lightning's milk and then he makes a horrible face and says, "Yuck!!!" I think he just likes to do that! :rolleyes:

How much longer?!!!

Oh, and will her udder even out? The kid is only nursing one side. We are milking her out twice a day, making sure we get all from the unotuched side. But it is fuller, obviously, more of the time than the other side. Will this even out once he is off of her and we are milking only?

Dee

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will you feed the bottle babies cow milk then?>>>

No, I plan on mixing the milk I have from the past few days from the mom with Land O' Lakes kid milk replacer. Then switch over to that. I might mix the replacer half and half with cow's milk. I know this is the part where I get lambasted for using replacer. Feel free. :) Because, I am curious....why it isn't it as good for the kids when its base is milk? Isn't it? Why would cow's milk be better?

I don't want to open up a huge can of worms, but I am curious. If this kid had been a doe the plan might have been different.

Dee

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Oh, I aint going to blast you for using replacer. I won't use it because they don't thrive. For me, getting bottle babies to thrive is hard enough with cow's or goat's milk. You can try it and see how it goes, though.

Some people manage to succeed with it, I have no idea how.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Dee, how many kids are you having to feed, just the one kid from this doe? I ask because it took me a few years to realize that I needed to get rid of any dairy wethers or bucklings FAST or they would cost me more than I could make back on them. The milk just to raise them to weaning is more than they are worth unless they are super duper show stock with really great bloodlines and even people who raise super show stock don't keep many bucklings.

If you have human children in the household, than forget it, you're stuck with all the baby goats probably forever, LOL! I know.

The teat the kid is not nursing will fill up and get big. keep milking it out. The pressure in it will signal it to STOP making milk on that side. The kid is taking more milk from HIS side than your side and the small side will actually become the larger more productive teat later when the doe is just a milker and baby is weaned. So keep milking out the big one maybe 2-3 times a day. Stay with it now and you will see what I mean. If you kind of let it go, it will become less productive as the does body thinks that side is not needed....so milk it milk it milk it!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it took me a few years to realize that I needed to get rid of any dairy wethers or bucklings FAST or they would cost me more than I could make back on them. The milk just to raise them to weaning is more than they are worth unless they are super duper show stock with really great bloodlines >>>

What if the plan is for him to be dinner? I don't think we could sell him as he's an alpine nubian cross--not a purebred. DH wants to butcher him at say 4 months. What other options do you have with a cross buck? I know, don't ask any of my five kids!

What's the best option money wise?

Dee

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
I have 2 wethers now, one is 6 mo and one is 8 weeks. The 6 mo old is going to be dressed out in the next couple of weeks, he is nice and meaty! Personally, I have him on browse only, no grain. He steals milk from mom when he can (and when she lets him) but I figure for meat in the freezer I havent wasted a dime on him, even if it is a quart of milk every other day or so. All my bucklings are freezer bound. Maybe the girls too if I cant sell them (they wont be purebred) or dont keep them.
What I do to help my children is tell them right up front, "yeah he is cute, but we're eating him so you dont starve" :) They get over it, just a few "awwww mom" and a taste of bbq, and their fine! lol!

The only other option for any wether's here is to be browse fed ONLY and a buddy for the buck.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My DH and I just found this site in the spring and I've read about people loosing kids on replacer too. I used Land-o-lakes also. I didn't have any issues :shrug: . But only fed the recomended amount and as many times a day as instructed on the pakage even though the kids act like they need more. If you do give more they will scour. And mine went normal when I corrected the dose. I haven't fed cow milk so can't give a comparison. Sounds like it works for many people here, just haven't had any problems with replacer mysel
And, yes, as they say above, butcher fast or there will be more $ than he is worth. Been there the first year...
Pam

1 - 20 of 22 Posts