Homesteading Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Speaking for myself, I get the flu shot. Sometimes the protection is right on, other years not so much. But it provides better protection than not getting it.
Why have you and others waited years and years to start wearing a mask when you believe a mask will help prevent you getting the flue or other similar illness ?

·
Voice of Reason
51,381 Posts
Why have you and others waited years and years to start wearing a mask when you believe a mask will help prevent you getting the flue or other similar illness ?
Why? Because I've always followed medical advice. When I was a kid I had no choice, since my father was a doctor. But I found that it was pretty good advice.

·
Premium Member
24,030 Posts
I don't believe masks help. Might as well lick your hands and go around touching everything the way most people handle their masks. But until covid started spreading bad, no one believed in social distancing and kept crowding strangers in stores. The only way to keep people away was a dish of bad beans, which worked for only so long.

Or people who are sick could just stay home! Maybe cold and flu remedy medicine should be illegal so sick people feel too sick to be out spreading whatever crap they are carrying.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Germs, cooties and airborne virals didn't just occur in 2020, they just got weaponized.
If you believe a mask helps then good for you.
If you would have waved a UV light 20 years ago while staying at your hotel/hospital/inlaws, or your own house, you might have been wearing one then.
This has become like a bad spin off (ie Aftermash, Brady Brides, Joanie Loves Chachi) that just doesn't wear well.

·
Registered
20,870 Posts
Germs, cooties and airborne virals didn't just occur in 2020, they just got weaponized.
If you believe a mask helps then good for you.
If you would have waved a UV light 20 years ago while staying at your hotel/hospital/inlaws, or your own house, you might have been wearing one then.
This has become like a bad spin off (ie Aftermash, Brady Brides, Joanie Loves Chachi) that just doesn't wear well.
Spot on. I find it odd that those who bash the idea of herd immunity went all in for herd manipulation. "Listen to the science, they say". What science? The science on this is all over the place depending on which scientists you listen to and which day it is. Dr. Fauci said Remdesivir is a valuable weapon against this virus. Now a large new study says it doesn't help at all. Fauci pushed our government to spend over a billion dollars buying the stuff. It was easy for government to totally manipulate those who think government should and can solve every problem and banish their fears. Really sad.

Reactions: andersonbill2

·
Voice of Reason
51,381 Posts
What science? The science on this is all over the place depending on which scientists you listen to and which day it is.
There is science that says face masks don't help?

Nonsense. There is no controversy over the effectiveness of face masks. All surgeons wear them.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
During the "15 days to stop the spread" people went on multi-state quests to buy toilet paper. During the time period that any of that would have done any good, we had leaders encouraging visits to China Town, encouraging people to travel, encouraging people to attend large events, etc. All because an opposing leader, whom they didn't like, suggested that the virus could be a serious threat. The decision to keep liquor stores open, sell lottery tickets, and allow mega corporations to pack their stores while closing gyms and hair salons was very telling. The decision to purposefully kill off nursing home residents to boost death numbers was also very telling. The mask mandates came far too late to do anything but save face for those leaders, in the eyes of people unable to see reality. If a real, scientific study was performed on disease transmission with masks as worn by the general public, the results would likely show that it increases disease transmission. That study might have happened, and could be a reason for the mask mandates, to increase the infection rate as the natural infection curve wanes.

Reactions: poppy

·
Voice of Reason
51,381 Posts
If a real, scientific study was performed on disease transmission with masks as worn by the general public, the results would likely show that it increases disease transmission.
That's simply ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts

Nonsense. There is no controversy over the effectiveness of face masks. All surgeons wear them.
Surgeons don't fish a mask out of the console with a bunch of change, throw it on to walk in a store, pull it down on their chin to talk to a cashier, then throw it back in the same console, with some fresh change that has been in somebodies pocket. They aslo don't wear one past hundreds of people, then lay them on a restaurant table while they eat, and then put them back on.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
That's simply ridiculous.
"As worn by the general public". Not ridiculous at all. Maybe from under your rock, but not ridiculous to people that are cognizant.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
The debate on masks will end up holding the same stature as Ford vs Chevy, Glock vs 1911 and Great Taste vs Less Filling.
Meanwhile, I know of numerous folks who are now flat on their back broke.
Business owners who are living on savings, or less.
Business owners who are selling off inventory, fixtures and assets to make it thru the month. They are having to eat muscle because there is no fat; some know they will never be able to afford to invest and restart their stores.
A "stimulus" isn't going to save them but they continue to watch the politicians fight and walk away from bills that were supposed to be "for the unemployed" yet because there is no money for illegals, or pet projects or an activist cause.
But if you are getting a check from your trust fund, your retirement, etc, you can stay home and have a late breakfast and watch the news and play with your dog.
The other people worry they won't have a home, money for food and may have to eat the dog.
Selective outrage wins again.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Surgeons don't fish a mask out of the console with a bunch of change, throw it on to walk in a store, pull it down on their chin to talk to a cashier, then throw it back in the same console, with some fresh change that has been in somebodies pocket. They aslo don't wear one past hundreds of people, then lay them on a restaurant table while they eat, and then put them back on.
I've seen masks on people that looked like they had a case of "bacon neck".
What a t shirt looks like on Tuesday after having been soaked thru with sweat on Monday.
I don't think they have seen a washing machine since they were pulled from the plasti wrap.

·
Registered
20,870 Posts
Maybe you should start supporting social programs like welfare and food stamps.

It's all one big circle for you on the left. Listen to government and when government fails, rely on more government. Don't you see the problem there?

·
Registered
20,870 Posts

Are you saying no one who wears a face mask gets the virus? At best, face masks only prolong the inevitable. Nearly all countries require face masks or did at some point. Look at the charts for those countries and see what happens. The lockdowns did work but were unsustainable. Cases are rising in places where most people wear masks. Look at Sweden. They were bashed for not locking down or requiring masks. The had a big spike in April but then a steady decline. Now they are averaging only 2 deaths per day. We, and most other countries mandated lockdown and masks and are still having outbreaks and clusters.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Maybe you should start supporting social programs like welfare and food stamps.
I think you missed the part where the government caused this with their nonsensical rules.

It's unsafe to visit a mom and pop restaurant, gym, or beauty parlor (most of which rarely have more than a handful of people in them at a time), but perfectly safe for everyone to crowd into Walmart, Home Depot or grocery store, many times with a non-socially-distanced line out the door. Here, you can eat at a restaurant, but only outside, usually in roped-off areas of the parking lot. With tables just as close together as they would have been indoors. You couldn't send your kids to school, but you can send them to "learning centers" where they sit side by side with other children on computers talking to teachers who, I presume, are the ones being kept "safe" - not the volunteers at the learning centers or the children.

We're in crazy land, and the stupidity would be amusing if it weren't actually destroying lives.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Why would I support welfare and food stamps?
I was wondering that myself, seemed like a very random comment or simply another diversion.

Reactions: nehimama

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I think you missed the part where the government caused this with their nonsensical rules.

It's unsafe to visit a mom and pop restaurant, gym, or beauty parlor (most of which rarely have more than a handful of people in them at a time), but perfectly safe for everyone to crowd into Walmart, Home Depot or grocery store, many times with a non-socially-distanced line out the door. Here, you can eat at a restaurant, but only outside, usually in roped-off areas of the parking lot. With tables just as close together as they would have been indoors. You couldn't send your kids to school, but you can send them to "learning centers" where they sit side by side with other children on computers talking to teachers who, I presume, are the ones being kept "safe" - not the volunteers at the learning centers or the children.

We're in crazy land, and the stupidity would be amusing if it weren't actually destroying lives.
Looters/rioters are allowed to skip the rules also.

Reactions: mreynolds and Mish
61 - 80 of 89 Posts