Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
I live in a very rural area. Two people on my road contracted it. The mother not wanting to listen about being careful gave it to her daughter. Her daughter said she's never been so sick in her life and was knocking on the door of hospitalization. It's been nearly two months and she still is not fully recovered.
So based on the results in your immediate area, as the mayor or town potentate, would you order the shut down and padlocking of the feed mill, the local sale barns and co op, the coffee shops, the off the square retailers, beauty salons and churches, the funeral homes, leaving the Walmart and Superfuel to remain in business?
How would you respond to the the locals, your neighbors and townfolks who come to you pleading for their jobs and access to the loved ones?

·
Voice of Reason
51,381 Posts
So? You are more likely to die from hundreds rent things than a terrorist attack. It is highly unlikely that I will die from Ebola, but, if it were circulating in the American population, I would stay home for as long as it takes. Why? because if I were to get it, there is a high probability that I will die from it. The same reason I won't be visiting any terrorist camps. This souped up cold just isn't that dangerous on an individual basis.
We don't stay home, wear masks and observe social distancing necessarily to protect ourselves, but to protect others in the event that we have unknowingly contracted the disease. You don't care if you infect others who are more vulnerable?

·
Voice of Reason
51,381 Posts
Really? Even according the the CDC numbers, if you're under 70 and somewhat healthy, your odds of dying from this are less than your odds of dying from random weird acts of God. I'm pretty sure I'm much more likely to die in a fiery crash on the freeway here on any given day. I should probably stop driving completely.
Really? Do you have that article?

But that doesn't do me a lot of good. I turned 70 two months ago.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I live in a very rural area. Two people on my road contracted it. The mother not wanting to listen about being careful gave it to her daughter. Her daughter said she's never been so sick in her life and was knocking on the door of hospitalization. It's been nearly two months and she still is not fully recovered.
I'm sorry to hear that, I really am. It sucks to be sick.

This still doesn't rise to the level of something that requires the entire population to be locked down or for businesses to be shut down. Even the two people you mention didn't require hospitalization, and happily didn't die.

This is not an apocalyptic event. It's conditioning at this point. We're being conditioned to be afraid, and to obey. Period.

Also, I love the compassion for people who come down with the virus. Apparently you only get it if you're not being careful. You know, because that's how viruses work, they go after those aren't careful or virtuous. Perhaps the daughter wasn't being careful enough, either.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Really? Do you have that article?

But that doesn't do me a lot of good. I turned 70 two months ago.
Happy belated birthday. You could do what's best for you in your situation, perhaps by self-isolating or whatever makes you feel safer.

And let the rest of us do what's best for us.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
My parents had it while our of state, thought they had a bad cold. They are in their 70's. But they are very healthy in comparison for their age group.

Reactions: MJsLady

·
Voice of Reason
51,381 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, I really am. It sucks to be sick.

This still doesn't rise to the level of something that requires the entire population to be locked down or for businesses to be shut down. Even the two people you mention didn't require hospitalization, and happily didn't die.

This is not an apocalyptic event. It's conditioning at this point. We're being conditioned to be afraid, and to obey. Period.

Also, I love the compassion for people who come down with the virus. Apparently you only get it if you're not being careful. You know, because that's how viruses work, they go after those aren't careful or virtuous. Perhaps the daughter wasn't being careful enough, either.
Look at it this way, 3,000 Americans died on 9/11 and conservatives had no problem taking extraordinary measures. But 215,000 Americans died from COVID-19 and you can't be inconvenienced. Go figure...

·
Saltine American
6,258 Posts
According to HHS, a study of people that tested positive and mask use:
Never wear a mask 3.9%
Rarely Wear a mask 3.9%
Sometimes wear 7.2%
Often Wear 14.4%
Always Wear 70.6%
That's 85% of positive tests wore masks.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Look at it this way, 3,000 Americans died on 9/11 and conservatives had no problem taking extraordinary measures. But 215,000 Americans died from COVID-19 and you can't be inconvenienced. Go figure...
Most Americans were on board with extraordinary measures at that time, not just conservatives. Biden - you know, the guy the Democrats picked to run for President - voted to give Bush approval to commence military action against Iraq. Stop trying to rewrite history and at least make an attempt at being intellectually honest.

The numbers are still fluid for Covid deaths. We won't know the truth for years likely, if ever. The whole thing has been politicized to the point that facts are no longer facts unless they're politically expedient - kind of like your statement about 9/11.

·
Marked safe from the TP famine of 2020.
18,343 Posts
We don't stay home, wear masks and observe social distancing necessarily to protect ourselves, but to protect others in the event that we have unknowingly contracted the disease. You don't care if you infect others who are more vulnerable?
The more vulnerable should be the ones staying at home to avoid the virus. Why don't we do this for Flu? Flu is more dangerous to the same folks that react badly to COVID. We don't shut down an entire economy to protect a very small segment of the population. We sequester that segment. You wear masks because government told you to. They tell you to wear masks to see if you are malleable.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,688 Posts
Shutdowns were an attempt to slow down and minimize the spread. It did not work because people did not understand the severity of the need to follow the protocols. The ultimate goal of the need to slow down the spread is multifold.

Allow our medical professionals time to figure out how to deal with this new virus.
Slow down infections so the hospitals and staff could deal with the virus without putting them in harm's way and to stay on top of the medical needs. The more tired and overwhelmed they are the more people would die including those we need to take care of the ill.

Shutdowns now will need to be targeted at places where infections are ramping up to achieve the same thing for the medical staff.

Covid 19 is more infectious and deadly than the flu. Not taking measures in the entire population would escalate the hospitalizations and that alone would cripple our health care system and therefore cripple the country far worse than short targeted shutdowns.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I guess as long as your social security check comes, you can label people being fired from their jobs because of a fiat from a gov or mayor as being "inconvenienced". I imagine those that can't work would use a different terminology.

·
18,343 Posts
Shutdowns were an attempt to slow down and minimize the spread. It did not work because people did not understand the severity of the need to follow the protocols. The ultimate goal of the need to slow down the spread is multifold.
Didn't some folks say that without shutdowns we would be looking a millions of deaths by the end of summer? So, being that we only have a little over 200k, shouldn't you be claiming that the lockdowns worked?

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
I guess as long as your social security check comes, you can label people being fired from their jobs because of a fiat from a gov or mayor as being "inconvenienced". I imagine those that can't work would use a different terminology.
Or those who work from home.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,688 Posts
Didn't some folks say that without shutdowns we would be looking a millions of deaths by the end of summer? So, being that we only have a little over 200k, shouldn't you be claiming that the lockdowns worked?
You are correct, they did work to some extent.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Thanks to the shutdown the hospital closet to us has shutdown half it's beds and furloughed or fired a large portion of it's staff. Now most surgeries and treatments have to go to the next hospital which is over 200 miles away. Even than it's a get in line and hope for the best.

Reactions: mreynolds

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,688 Posts
But Sweden has similar numbers to us, adjusted for population and they didn't lock down, so, did they work at all?
Just more evidence that some here took it seriously and some did not and therefore while our numbers are better than they could be they are not as good as they would have been if the people of this country really understood and accepted the reality of how serious this virus is. Covid 19 is not the flu.

·
18,343 Posts
Just more evidence that some here took it seriously and some did not and therefore while our numbers are better than they could be they are not as good as they would have been if the people of this country really understood and accepted the reality of how serious this virus is. Covid 19 is not the flu.
Or, evidence that the "experts" either through ignorance, or agenda, gave us useless advice. And COVID is not the flu, it is a different family of virus. It is a bad cold.

·
Voice of Reason
51,381 Posts
Why don't we do this for Flu? Flu is more dangerous to the same folks that react badly to COVID.
Speaking for myself, I get the flu shot. Sometimes the protection is right on, other years not so much. But it provides better protection than not getting it.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts