When do I Plant?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by anna, Mar 16, 2005.

1. anna

anna Member

Hello everyone. I live in eastern Colo and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the best time to plant my vegetable garden? Last year I planted really late, first week of June, everything came up but I didn't have a very big harvest. Any suggestions? Thanks for the advice.

Anna

2. dla

dla Well-Known Member

http://gurneys.com/article.asp?ai=107
    you can type in your zip code and it will give you your hardiness zone.
    But we are at a higher elevation here and plant a little later than usually suggested.
    Find a neighbor who sets out early and she'll tell you.

3. Gypsy

Gypsy Well-Known Member

My (limited) understanding is that for vegetables the hardiness zone is less important than the frost dates. This is true as for most vegetables you are not worried about wintering the plant over. I would suggest calling the county office of your state university's cooperative extension to get these dates – the number of days (on average) between the first and last frosts will determine if you can plant certain vegetables.

4. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    Anna
    I am 6K feet here in Colorado. I have started everything early. By the time I set tomatoes and peppers out they will be over 8 weeks old. I would not set Tomatoes out till early June unless you could set up some sort of a row cover.

We also had a disappointing season last year, I am hoping the early start will boost things a bit.