When do I milk?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ChickenMom, Jun 10, 2006.

1. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

We had 1 baby yesterday and 1 baby today. When I got the goats our oldest nanny already had a 3 week old baby. Now I need to know how long to wait after birth before I start milking again. When is the colostrum gone?

2. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

I start milking when the babies are 1 week old, you could do it after about 3 days, but I had rather wait a few extra days.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

actually its not a bad idea to milk off some of the colostrum and freez it for a just in case plan, you never know when you could have a doe truely reject a kid, or up and die and then you have a new born to bottle feed and if you have colostrum stored you wont have to worry about it getting the needed antibodys and such.

but after a few days to a week all the colostrum should be run its corse and you can milk for real

4. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I will milk some out and freeze it.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I start milking mine out right away so that their udders don't get all congested, or the milk production slacken for lack of using it all. Usually the first few days, the kids can't possibly drink it all. I make sure they nurse first, then milk the doe out twice a day, even though I am not using it for our consumption for the first week.
    mary

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I use the milk for our consumption after three or four days and it is just fine by then. Other than that, I agree with mary, tx. When the does milk comes in, her udder gets congested and the babies can't possibly drink it all at that age.

I've found that if you start milking immediately after they give birth, while you have birth fluids on you from helping and cleaning up, the doe is much more likely to accept you as her milker (her instincts tell her that by your smell you are one of her babies) without a big fight on the milking stand. The one doe I didn't do that with this year was a pain in the derriere for several weeks before she stopped fighting me on the milking stand.

Kathleen

7. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I found that my Nubian cross' milk didn't start tasting good until after 2 weeks - had me worried that she didn't have good milk! but it's fine now. I started milking her fairly early because she only has the one kid, and he seems to empty one side more than the other (typical, I guess). We used it but it didn't really taste very nice to start. :p

8. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

My Saanen-Oberhasli cross was ready to pop her udder when she finally kidded on June 7. This is her first and mine too. A more experienced friend came over the next day and we milked about a pint out of her, which I froze in an ice cube tray (and now ought to re-package). Since then, I've milked 8-12oz out of her daily, just to get her used to the process. She doesn't exactly kick, but she dances about and put her foot in the jar yesterday. (happy pigs.) I'm told that if I just be patient and persistant, she'll learn to just stand there, mostly.

I'm learning too. I'm making small refinements to the milking stand and figureing out my grip. Being only on her first freshening, she has very small teats. There is no fear of the milking stand. She had her first intro to it when I built it two months ago. She jumped up and gave me a grin and said, "Why, this is an interesting piece of furnature. I like it. It gives me some height over the sheep." It has no head stock. Instead, there's an eye bolt and a small aluminum carribiner that I hook to her collar.

I tasted some the other day. It's not quite the raw cow's milk I'm used to, but it wasn't that far off. If it's just going to get better, I'm all set. She had a single small doe kid, who can't possibly drink the entire production, and seems to favor the right side. I guess I should start just milking out the left side entirely.

Dan

9. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

They will get bigger soon - my Nubian X's did. Still two fingers and a thumb, a month after freshening, but much easier than at the beginning. She figured out months ago that there was food on the milkstand - she and the Alpine yearling generally had to be dragged off of it! Although she's having some issues lately. We got two barn kittens on Friday night that are living in the milking parlour - and kittens have been known to attack goats and tear their throats out, you know. :p I have to put a collar on and drag her in there. Once she's there, she jumps up quite happily. So far, (crossing fingers) she hasn't put her foot in the bucket - she does pull back when she's had enough, which makes it a little hard to milk, but she's pretty good otherwise, for a first freshener.

10. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

I have a question, I have two first freshening LaMancha does and I cannot get any milk to come out. What am I doing wrong? I take my index finger and thumb and squeeze around the top to trap milk in the teat and then squeeze the rest and pull down a little. And......nothing happens. Is there a website with pictures that shows how to do this?