When did you know?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DrippingSprings, Nov 6, 2005.

1. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

When did you first realize that a simple life was what you were headed for and wanted?

I knew at a very early age probably aropund 5 or so that all it would take for me was a small spot of land and a nice cozy cabin to make me happy. I was trying to build small ''cabins'' by the time I was old enough to go outside. it was like destiny. It just felt so right to me. I never wished for a huge house etc. the simple stuff is what I wanted. A nice cabin with a fireplace and furnished with simple things like in times way before I was born. I was always transfixed by mountainmen and movies like Jeremiah Johnson etc. When I was 36 we were on vacation and as a joke me and my wife went into one of those psychic/voodoo type places in New Orleans. It was the first time in years I was all clean shaven and businesslike and the first words out of that womans mouth was "you have an old soul. I see you as once long ago a trapper or mountainman type" I dont buy into that kinda mumbo jumbo but there was absolutely zero about my appearance that would allude to my interest in those very things. Five of our friends went in and they were everything from civil war soldiers to simple farmers. It seemd odd she picked that out for me.

I have lived in everything from a one bedroom apartment to the monstrosity I have now. All very nice. All would make most people proud to have. I have a huge nice house with all of the amenities and I am still wanting to build that lil cabin out back.

I have decided its time to live the way I feel was my destiny. Starting tomorrow I am going down to the back corner of my property and I am starting to fell some big old nice poplars. I am going to build my cabin becuase every day I think about it. Everyday I long for it. When I am done I am getting rid of this house. The sooner the better. Its paid for and it appeals to me as much as a blister on my heel. Its nice but it just isnt home.

Its almost as if it is in me down to my very soul. That it was meant to be that I have that cabin I have wanted since a small child. I have felt as though something has been missing most of my adult life and it has become to be known to me that it is my cabin.

So when did you find ''your calling'' and know it was absolutely the thing for you?

2. lilrose

lilrose Member

Like you, as a child, I was always making cabins and forts and cozy places. I was raised by country people and that was the life I knew and loved.
    But, circumstance and bad judgement saw me married to a social climbing, oh so un-country person. I saw my mistake too late and then there was a child on the way.

So, it was a lot of years before I could realistically think about getting back to the country. I am in my 50's now and married to the right man at last. My dream of my own homestead is about to come true.

I want the woodstove and rocking porch and awesome garden and compost piles. I yearn for the quiet of a country lane and the comfort of a cellar full of home canned foods. ( ok the home canned foods I already do...but it is stored in the garage until the homestead is a done deal). :p

So, I guess to answer your original question....I think the country life was born in me, but it sure took me a long time to finally get there.

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I was about 20 or 21... in college, a pre-professional biology major and figured out that my motivation was wrong. I was looking at it from the money side. Not that money is bad, just didn't want it to be my main motivating force in life. I began to dream about land then...

4. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I knew when I started hearing how gross the food producers were, and started investigating, and realized it was up to me to make sure I and my family did not die from what they were trying to make me eat. [​IMG]
    Thats really the only reason.

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

My grandmother. Bare foot on her broad Swedish ankles on her quarter section SD farm. That is the centre of the universe for me. I want to have my grandkids picking potato bugs for me and making meals from my garden. Just in a place with more rain than SD!

6. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I don't recall the exact age but I was still in the single digits. My parents figured that I would grow out of it and encouraged me to get an education so I could make lots of money, live in a big house, drive a fancy car...Their hearts were in the right place, only wanting what they thought was the best for me. I tried to live their dream for many years but never felt at home. Yeah, I once lived in a big house with more cars than drivers and had all the bills to prove it.

Life is much simpler these days. My house is small but it's a home; the car is old but it gets me where I need to go, and, most importantly, the kids are happy and so am I. It took my family a long time but they finally understand that a simple existence makes me happy. Come to think of it, I've never heard them complain about the fringe benefits either...fresh eggs, fruit, and vegis...

7. DrippingSprings

You make a good point. I know it seems alot of my thoughts are those of when my grandkids will be born and come to see me. I guess I juust loved my life so well I want to be able to share the same type of experiences with my grandkids. Being around livestock,wandering the hills,fishing in the creek etc etc. I am not a grandparent right now but my kids are 19,16,15,14 and a stepson from my last marriage I raised from 10 mos old thats fixing to be 21 so I know it isnt far away. It really bothers some to become a grandparent but I look forward to it.

8. DrippingSprings

Yep me too. I remember when we moved to Texas and atsrted buying store bought meats etc I was so disappointed in the taste. I grew up on fresh meats and veggies. We moved into a large city so owning a cow was outta the question but we always had a small garden.

9. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Like DrippingSprings and Lilrose, I've always been this way. My dreams haven't changed too much since I was 4 years old--they've just become a little more detailed and closer to realization. I've always loved animals, loved simple things from older times, loved the country, and hated the city and all its crowds and pretension and concrete and skewed values. My favorite books as a kid were the Little House series, Marguerite Henry's horse books, My Side of the Mountain, etc. by Jean Craighead George, Hatchet and other books by Gary Paulsen, Call of the Wild and White Fang, Charlotte's Web, and really any books about Native Americans, pioneers, farmers.... I also loved to make forts, play in the woods and the creek, play outside with the dogs, and most of all, ride horses!

I'm young yet, but I've been told I have an old soul ;) I'm much more together than most people who I know that are my age, because I have a concrete goal that I'm working towards (land/animals) and I want it yesterday. So I'm all done with school, have a good job, and I'm saving almost every penny I earn--unlike my friends who earn a lot, have no responsibilities, and still manage to spend $$$ and wonder where it all went at the end of the month.

I hope to be the strong barefoot farm grandmother in about 30 years who inspires the next generation of homesteaders.

10. buspete

buspete Well-Known Member

I knew it was what I wanted when I watched Grizzly Addams as a little kid. I grew up watching all of that mountain man stuff and would daydream about it in school.

So-called "real life" took over and I resigned myself to my fate in the city. My wife (very much a city girl) bumped into an old friend of mine who suggested to her that we sell our city-house since the market was up and use the profit to move to the woods.

We moved to NH last summer and I'll have closed on selling my old city house by the end of this month.

11. Abuelo in TX

Abuelo in TX Active Member

When I was 7 I decided that I wanted to live on a mountain top as a hermit. I have always enjoyed the country, although I was raised in the city. As an adult I have lived in and out of the country. Like many here I lost the dream and got caught up in the material world with family responsibilities and tried to live "The American Dream". What a farce!! Now I an older and wiser and have rekindled my efforts to get back to the country. I started building my country dream a year ago and cant wait to make the move back to sanity. Just wish I hadnt lost the dream to begin with.

12. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

My parents have always lived in city limits, but we always had enough land to grow a modest-sized veggie garden. We even had chickens at one of our places in Alaska. Living off one meager income, we still went on trips every summer to go fishing, clamming, berry picking, hiking, and tent camping. My parents always dreamed of living in a little cabin in the woods, but they didn't know how to get there from where they were. I swore I would never be like them, but as soon as I moved out I found myself planning my own little plot of land. Luckily, my husband doesn't think I am crazy. I think he's as excited as I am about getting out of the city, but he's more of a live-in-the-now kind of guy. I am the planner. I have patronized the local library to read up on every subject pertinent to our future homestead, drawn up multiple plans for various pieces of land and life situations, and I have just this summer started honing my green thumb in preparation for the day when I'll be able to garden on our own land. My most recent realization was that I would like to someday have a couple kinder goats. I like to give new ideas a year or two before I take them seriously, though, so who knows where that idea will end up.

13. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I think subconciously I've always know. I've know conciously since I started high school. Got cought up in materialism for awhile (still paying for that one) but am back on the right path to get there.

14. longrider

longrider Southern Gent

i grew up on a small farm. the boys in my Boy Scout patrol and i were best friends. we all had the 6 Foxfire books and had uncles that made moonshine and went trapping and such.

we built our first log cabin when i was about 12 or so, it was small. we built our first still soon after, though nothing ever came of it. we spent our time talking about girls, hunting, trapping, backpacking, girls, and moving out to Yellowstone to live in a cabin.

i dont think there has ever been a time when i didnt know that a simpler lifestyle was proper for me.

15. dare2b

dare2b crone

Since preschool. I remember playing outside for hours, pushing two Y-shaped sticks into the ground and placing a stick across them for my hearth....

I live in an all electric house in the country now close enough to the highway to hear traffic at almost all hours, still connected to the grid, got no livestock, trying like everything to get enough compost together to grow a garden in this sandy soil in this dry place, doing it all by myself and still dreaming the dream of my preschool self. It is at the core of my being and yet seems so overwhelming in reality. Yet I still press on...unable to stop. Loving the struggle, but frustrated as the years go by. Now there's the Internet. Where would my computer fit in my little cabin. Would love to have a place smack dab in the middle of a hundred acres....

Ahhh, what a nice question in the original post.... :cool:

16. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, no livestock or farms. Best I could get out of my parents was a cat and a dog. When they cleaned out my grandparents home they found a picture I had drawn as a 5 or 6 year old. It showed me, my barn, my horse , and my dog. 40 years later, that is still the picture <G>!

Kathie

17. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

... until I was preparing to return from Europe after a 5-year stint (business). I was 35 (or so). The repatriation process got me to thinking about life, what was persistent and sustainable, and what skills I wanted my children to have.

R

18. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I married my first husband when I was 21 and his philosophy of life was "more, more, more". More house, more money...the quintessential consumer. During the time we were together (10 years), I came to realize that the "more" mentality was very unsatisfying and left me feeling very empty inside. This, along with coming to the realization that I didn't want chidlren and he did, was the main reason that we divorced.

Thereafter, I experienced a drastic change in lifestyle going from the Urban "Upscale" (New Orleans) lifestyle to rural Missouri, (and having a reduction of income by about $60,000 a year), I slowly began to appreciate that the simple life was, indeed the way to go. I found more happiness and peace and joy than I ever thought possible.

Now, in my 50s I am pursuing a homesteading life and really excited about it.

Donsgal

19. DrippingSprings

wonderful stories thanks for sharing.

Some people envy a millionaire I envy someone like Dick Proenneke

You know I am embarrassed a little to admit I still knoiw all the words to the Grizzly Addams song and the music from Jeremiah Johnson as well lol

I also enjoyed My Side of The Mtn.

20. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I've always felt that I was born in the wrong time period. I always wanted to be part of the Walton's. I loved to work in the kitchen with my Mennonite Gramma and learned many of the things she taught, but I didn't really start focusing my life towards self sufficiency until the late 1990's, when I was in my early 30's. I think it was the Y2K hype (scare, threat, BS, whatever you wish to call it) etc that made me shift my attentions to my future.