When can we play with them?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by nuby, May 8, 2004.

1. nuby

nuby Active Member

How old do the kits need to be before careful people can "play" with them?

2. mommabear

mommabear Member

Guess who??? Me again. Hey if I ever answer to many of your questions and you get sick of me let me know :haha: I can handle it.

I handle the kits from birth, briefly, daily to check on them, thart way they are not so wild when they are 3 or 4 or 5 weeks.

I have neighbor kids who I will allow to (after they wash their hands) hold and pet them even before they have their eyes open. But I have them sit down on a carpeted floor (you know how these little guys are so jerky like a jumping bean) I supervise the whole time. Have them sit indian style (thats what we use to call it) and put a towel over their laps and have them cup their hands on the younger ones. Great time to spend with your kids teaching and sharing with them. Just supervise and explain things.
    You sound awesome and like a caring person. I think it's neat you ask about things, shows you care and want to do whats best for these baby rabbits. :)
    Please not I am no expert, I have raised a lot of rabbits in the past but don't know everything and learn stuff as I go. Others may offer better advice.
    Take Care

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Five minutes after their born! :D

4. nuby

nuby Active Member

So, is 2 weeks too late? I mean, will they bite? :eek:

Mommabear, I can use all the help I can get, being a newby ;) I appreciate all you input! Thanks :eek:

5. mommabear

mommabear Member

nawww, not to late, but they are squrmy jumpy little things.
    I would suggest if you are having the kids hold them,
    Explain before you take the kits out that they are little tiny babies and scared and jumpy that way the kids will be expecting it and not surprized when one of these baby rabbits jumps and jerks like a jumping bean.
    have the kids sit on the floor, legs folded and a bath towel drapped over their laps. This way if the little critter jumps out of their hands it will be in the towel.
    But hopefully that won't happen (I am a stickler for precaution)
    I would only do one baby rabbit with one kid at a time, remember you only have 2 eyes and 2 hands. And children get so excited when able to hold a little baby criter.
    Remind the kids to talk low and softly.
    Have them hold it to their chest or cupped in their hand to prevent it from falling. Make sure to remind them also not to hold it to tight.
    I wouldn't let kids walk around with them, they need to be sitting.
    Is this your first litter?
    If so, be careful, some momma rabbits will actually attack you (your hand) if you're in their nest box. I have a couple of scars on my hand to prove it.
    Just be careful and compassionate and think of what you would do if someone knocked down your door and tried to take one of your kids :eek:
    She doesn't understand you are bringing them back.
    This is a great opportunity to teach the children about baby critters, animal behavior and gentleness. ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Oh and at 2 weeks naw they won't bite.
    BTW does anyone on this forum know why the little kits do the jumping bean thing from day #1? Is is an in nature defense to preditors? Or is it their little nervous system? I'd love to know why if anyone knows. Thank you

6. nuby

nuby Active Member

Ok, we just did what you said. I brought in three kits, all different sizes. I gave the doe some green treats. Awww, they are so cute! I'm sure my kids could play with them a lot longer than I let them :p They liked to watch them hop about on the carpet.

Do you think that it's a bad idea NOT to handle them frequently, so they will not be wild (especially the does which we plan to breed)?

Our rabbits (2 young does, a young buck, and this doe and her 11 kits) see and hear us every day, but we have not pet them much (I worry that the kids will accidently let them hop out when they open the cage to pet).

I wonder if the kits are old enough for me to determine the sex?

7. mommabear

mommabear Member

You know what??? :eek:
    As many as I have had and raised and as many times as I have been shown
    I still cannot get the sexing thing right.
    Been shown :eek:
    I always have to ask someone who know to do it for me or wait till the males glands show.

8. nuby

nuby Active Member

And at what age is that? Can they reproduce at that age when the glands show?