When can I start milking?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rosarybeads, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

A couple of my goats had kids, have another one (my best) who's bag is getting humongous! My question is: When can I start milking these goats after the kids are born? I am planning on leaving the kids with the mothers, and milking them once a day, so I would want to know using that method. Don't want bottle kids (and I have semi-ones anyway :no: ).

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

You can start milking as soon as she has her babies. But the first milk is going to be colostrom Just like women have. This is important for the baby goats to get. You could let the babies stay with mama goat for a couple of days and then start penning them at night. What most people do is pen the babies up at night and don't let them in with mama. In the morning go out and milk the goat for your household milk needs then turn the babies in with mama for the rest of the day. Then pen them up at night again and so on.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i agree with vicki , as usual ,

personally i have one alpine grade doe who is nursing her doe kid full time, i still milk her 2x a day, morning and night, i get about a half-3/4 a gallon from her daily , plus the kid is growing well, in fact this particular doe , her name is Fudge , she has very large nipples, and if i dont milk her out , the kid has trouble nursing from those engorged teats. and mom is none to happy about that either,
    the only difference is , i dont "demand" more milk from her,
    like with a doe who isnt nursing kids, i milk till nothing more comes out , with Fudge i milk her till shes nearly dry, ~the point where if i were milking her and she werent nursing i would "bump" her udder to get more milk ~
    then shes done thats about a half-3/4 a gallon a day, i am sure if she werent nursing i would get much more milk , but we have 2 milking does and as of right now i have a gallon and a half of milk in the fridge, plus 2 kinds of home made cheese, plus yogurt..... what more do i need?
    Beth

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Hi Beth, as someone who normally milks 10 or more does, everyone is dry right now and getting ready to kid. I am babysitting a small LaMancha herd, the doe is nursing two bucklings. I am milking morning and night (they just got here yesterday afternoon) as of this morning I have 3 quarts of milk in the fridge, I can't wait to milk tonight so I have enough milk to make some cheese! That was the first thing my husband said when I told him I was staying home yesterday to wait on some goats coming to babysit "Well are they at least in milk so I can have some cheese"?? :) Vicki

6. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, I will check her bag and see if it is hard, I know it is pretty full. She seems to be acting "off" today, and she is really swollen in the rear, so I am thinking she may be having them sometime soon, course, I could be reading into things.

Is it possible to keep the goats with the mother all day/night long and still milk the mom once or twice a day for milk? I would prefer not having to move the babies away. She is a real good, nice standing goat. She has a huge belly, I highly suspect she will have possible triplets, but maybe just a couple of big ones. Is it common to have twins/triplets?

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

I don't allow kids to nurse, but the little LaMancha doe visiting here, who is nursing bucklings 13 days old today, has her boys with her all the time, and still has milked 3 quarts since last night, so even nursing boys she likely milks about 6 or 7 pounds plus what the babies drink! In several weeks, you will start getting less and less milk though as the babies start getting bigger and drinking more and more milk, so to have any milk at all you may have to trap them away from mom. Perhaps by the time the kids are getting older you could sell a buckling or put him into the freezer so you will have extra milk even with doelings left on mom.

It's actually most common for goats to have twins. With good nutrition goats have triplets. Quads are mostly genetic, does who have quads are out of dams who had quads, to have healthy quads obviously nutrition does pay a factor. Singles are mostly in young does, in herds that feed poor quality feeds or just graze their goats, which is not a bad thing, or in very young moms. Now the older doe huge with kids that gives you a single kid is just plain mean :) vicki

8. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

I've gotten so much good information and support here. I really appreciate you people taking time to be here for we greenhorns.

I would like to be able to milk once a day in the evening. Is there a difference between morning and evening milk. The reason I wish I could do that is because I have arthritis that has me pretty crippled up in the mornings. By late afternoon I'm good to go however. I like to pasture my goats during the day and can house my mothers with the kids in 3 different buildings according to the age and/or health of mother and kid. My youngest little kids need to be by themselves so they don't get beaten up and lain upon.

Do you think I might be able to pull it off if I leave the kids with mom all evening and night and let mom go out all day while the kiddies nap?

9. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the only concern with penning kids away from momma during the day and then putting them with her at night to nurse is exactly that. They will expect to be able to nurse and keep the mother up during the night.
    Whereas, penning them away at night, they sleep and momma sleeps, and then during the day they can nurse from momma and go out and learn how to be a goat by following momma in the pasture.

10. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

yeah, that makes sense. I have 2 that have no kids that nurse, so I have to milk them twice anyway. I guess i'll just have to get the cortisone injections and keep on milking.

11. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

actually, i have trauma induced arthritis, and im just a little one ( 33) , but have broken nearly every finger , and many more than once , training horses can do that, and when younger was naturally clumsy
    ok to the point, i find that on cold mornings when my hands hurt, milking isnt as bad as i thought it would be, goats udders are nice and warm , and since youre not squeezing hard, its not too difficult
    the only doe i have ever had hand trouble with is Fudge, but thats cause her teats are literally more than i can get my hands around , and i have large hands, but this doe has even bigger teats....

Vicki, youre goat sitting munchies :D that must look funny, ...on this side of the fence long droopy ears, on this side.... tah dah .. nothing ... and you can have this too for only 9.95 buy our exclusive no more ears formula :D LOL

i am so un picky, i like all goats :D ears or not :D
    Beth

12. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Hi Beth, My middle daughter raised and showed LaMancha's for 8 years, so it's a little like old home week having them visiting. I know during livestock shows when the 100th person would walk buy commenting on what happened to your does ears, we would tell them, "the Nubians bit their ears off", "we start eating them while they are alive and start with their ears, here have a piece of jerky", "they make the cutest little coin purses", and this one by husband "They do have ears, human ears, they are a first cross between humans and goat...doesn't she look just like me??" You should see mom's grab their chidrens hands and get the heck away from us!! Vicki