When can I breed again after abortion?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by LuckyGRanch, Jan 9, 2005.

1. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

I have a LaMancha doe who aborted her kids this week. The weather up here is still such that I should be able to get her bred again yet this year. I'm just wondering how soon she will start to cycle so I can watch. Also, I'm considering Lute to help bring her in but, I don't want to give it prematurely either. Any info will be greatly appreciated! :) Oh...and should would have been due March 3rd so she was basically 8-9 weeks early.

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Well normally cycling is I believe 17 to 21 days. If were my doe I wouldn't lute as I would want to give her a little recoupe time. Also why did she abort?? Mineral defiency??? I would want to know what caused it and take care of that problem before rebreeding her.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

IF it were me, iwould wait until next breeding season. that wasy the doe, can regain her strentgh , and you can figure out whay she aborted, and how to fix things, so she doesn't abort again. I would get this doe , really built up.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If no other does bred to the same buck are aborting I would also want her bred back and not dry until next fall. Is there anyway of putting her in with the buck? Does can have such silent heats this time of the year that would be also be afraid of missing it.

Are you milking her? Does who we milked did not as reliably come back in as those we did not. We routinely bred does to kid in December than where rebred end of January with no problems. Here I would expect her to recyle in 3 or 4 weeks, a friend in Colorado would see the doe recylcing (alpine) in less than 2 weeks, so if you can move the buck in that would be my advice, the stinkier the better :) Vicki

5. LuckyGRanch

Hi Vicki -

Nope...she's the only one. Kinda on the bottom of the "goat pile" so to speak and I think she probably got a good bump. She's not milking and I have no plans of keeping her dry until Fall! If she's not gonna produce, she's out of here (Hey Vicki...do I sound like you?! I'm learning slowly but surely! :haha: ) I have just Boer bucks and could use my brothers Nubian. I've also considered calling the lady I got her from and asking about rebreeding with her buck but...I also don't really want to bother her or bother will hauling the doe back and forth.

Thanks again!

Beth

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Can you take her over to your brothers and put her in with the buck? Sometimes a change of scenery or herdmates can bring a doe off the bottom of the totem pole. Perhaps she can go visit until spring?

Na..your not near calused enough to be sounding like me :haha:

If you have an extra pen you could also just pen her with one of your bucks till spring, I know my boys would love the company :) Vicki

7. Jasen

Jasen Member

I have nubians that generally have one birthing a year. My doe that had a kid and then 7 monthes later twins, died. I dont know the cause of death. Her first kid died as well and I dont know that cause of death either. I gave them antibiotics and extra grain, but they didnt make it. If she aborts again I would get rid of her. The rest of my goats are healthy and producing good milk so whatever the problem was it died out with that family line. good luck!

Jasen

8. LuckyGRanch

Yep...could take her to my brothers but, I don't think a change of scenery is going to help her self esteem! :waa:

Remember...in the first post, I said she was a LaMancha?! She has no ears! In a herd of Nubians and Boers, could you bring your self esteem out of the dust and dirt if you were a LaMancha?! :haha: She's also quite petite.

Seriously though, I think the person I purchased her from said she was near the top of the pile at her place. Go figure!

I think I will just put her in with a buck till Spring though. I've got plenty of different pens to choose from.

Thanks!!