When are we out of the woods?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Mrs. Ed, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Mrs. Ed

Mrs. Ed Active Member

I have learned so much on here since I began posting about my little rejected baby, I just had to ask one more question...when are we out of the woods with her?

She is 2 weeks old today. We are almost certain (99.9%) that she DID NOT get her mother's colostrum. We are doing all we can and learning as we go and she seems healthy and alert. She is eating well and I am slowly upping her intake to get her in line with what you suggested on an earlier thread while decreasing the number of feedings per day. She is separated from the herd and is going outside for short periods daily when it is warmer.

I know that she is prone to infection right now. When will her own immune system be enough that we can be considered "out of the woods"? I am afraid to name her yet.

2. Mrs. Ed

Mrs. Ed Active Member

Oh, I forgot to mention...we DID get her a colostrum supplement within her 1st 24 hours of life. Not optimal, I know, but hopefully better than nothing.

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Well not that this is the correct thing to do and maybe someone like Kaye or Vicki can answer you. But if this were my kid I would be giving her probios , BComplex and Vit C. Then I would also take her temp so I know what normal is for her and take the temp of one of the other triplets should be between 101 and 104. I would probably also give her CD/T and BoSe shot unless mom has had it 30days prior to kidding. I give all my new borns a 400 IUD of Vit E in squirted in the milk just to enance the BoSe. My best guess here is that she will make it just fine now but as you stated may be prone to colds the BComplex and Vit C helps with that.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You have done everything that really can be done. Nothing except colostrum imparts immunity, colostrum replacements are fine for the calories and for the laxative effect they give, this helps that first tarry meconium stool to get pooped out. The trips outside are of course really important, not only for vitamin D, but for the exercize. You just can't believe the difference in kids who are outside and those inside.

You will want to vaccinate her early, say 3 weeks, get a basic CD&T I use the barvac brand from jeffers (it is also carried at TSC and large feedstores/mills. 2cc under the skin. Repeat every 21 day until past 12 weeks.

The real problem with this goatling is going to come when she is intoduced into the herd. If your herd has had pinkeye or soremouth in the past, this kid has no immunity to it, so she will be the first to catch it, same with every other goat aliment. If you add to this that she is going to be friendless, without a mom to protector her from bigger kids and bully younger females, she will always be the low man on the totem pole, coupled with her immune function, and she will fail to thrive.

I would also start her on a sulfa at 3 weeks, continuing 5 day treatments every 3 weeks until she is well grown, if you get Albon from a vet, it tastes so good she will just suck it down. This will help with cocci, but mostly will help with bacterial infections. I would also pull another kid from the pen and let them grow up with her, before she is expected to live with the whole group. Or get her a friend if you don't have kids right now, I bottle feed all my kids so if I had one born out of season I would buy another rather than having one lone kid have to move in with my older brats!

Move to 3 bottles a day, keep them warm, 100 degrees so she doesn't get chilled. I feed as much as they want 3 times a day, but when I have raised out of season kids they did wonderful on 22 ounce soda bottles, 3 times a day. Once about 8 weeks, I moved to morning and night bottles so they would be hungry and want to browse more, eat hay and also grain, then at 12 weeks it was cold turkey no more bottles. We have successfully used grocery store milk (whole vitamin D) and is what I wean kids to here when they are sold before weaing, to people without access to goats milk ((or who do have access but it's 12$ per gallon :)

Baby vitamins from Wallmart, or tonic's like RedCell...the probios that Sondra said, will all help, just don't give the redcell more often than once a day, it can cause them to refuse the bottle or get diahrrea. Your goal is obviously to move from her birth to weaning with no diahrrea. Less is always more. If you can go outside with a jacket than she will be fine with her fur one! Vicki

5. Mrs. Ed

Mrs. Ed Active Member

I almost hate to say this for fear of jinxing myself but we have never had any problem with illness, pink eye or anything. So I hope that we won't have any problems on that front.

I figured she will be the outcast. I was a little concerned about that and that's why we have her separated from the rest. I was afraid the other nannys with kids would be mean to her and we wanted her to be a little bigger before we put her out with the herd. She has been out a little with them as long as me or my DH is out there, but not alone. We are just too chicken! I could use some advice on when to mix her back in, at what age, how to do it, etc.

I could get a her a friend and might do that soon. I hadn't thought of that. I am worried about her being by herself, I know they are herd animals and don't do well alone. A friend would take care of that.

She is getting 4 cc vits once a day mixed in with her milk. I'd swear we saw a difference in her after we started doing that. I had her on goat milk, but good grief, we have to eat too! SO today I switched her to cow's milk. There is a dairy next to me so I got some from them. I am expecting some diarrhea due to the switch, but am expecting that to only last until tomorrow sometime. I'm hoping that we won't have it at all, but am somewhat expecting it.

Anyway, any more advice will really be helpful especially about mixing her in with the herd. I have learned so much on here! Thank you!

6. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Well I would pull one of those other babies you have out there and have two bottle babies then with mine once they are abt 2mo out they go. Am sure others have different methods. like Vicki said 12 weeks /2mo they are most likely off thier bottles they each now have a friend and you can introduce them back to the herd.