When and How?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatgirl92, Apr 21, 2005.

1. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

Hey all! Just wondering, when is it ok to start the dibudding, castrating and when can i leash train the babies? How do i leash train? Right now they are 5 days old and i would like to get a head start if possible. Thanks in Advance. Goatgirl

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Leash training can start as soon as the babies are interested in solid food, and when they're bonding and responding to you. You basically put a collar on them (dog collars work just fine), clip a leash to it and give a gentle pull. When the goat comes along you give it a treat, when the goat tosses it's head and digs it's feet in you pull a little harder. Pretty soon they figure out to walk with you.

I wouldn't leave a collar on the little buggers full time right now. They're just too likely to get hung up on something while they're rumbling around in the strangest places.

I also don't let my goats pull ahead of me. I keep and end of the lead free so I can whack them a bit across the nose when they try to get in front.

Castrating I used to do at seven weeks (and will again once my doeling grows up :) ). I can't help you with the disbudding, my goats have horns.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Disbud them immediately. I like to do mine at three days old. Basically, as soon as they're bouncing around, and as soon as you can locate the horn buds, you should do it. The earlier you do it, the more likely it is that you won't have scurs. And for heaven's sake, don't just make a copper ring. Make a white ring. I want to see naked cartilage around the horn base, or you can practically guarantee scurs. FYI, you can split the burn into two sessions per horn. I go seven seconds, then blow gently to cool their little head for 30 seconds or so, do the other side, cool, return to side one, cool, take a second shot at side 2, cool, quickly cauterize anything bleeding, spray with Furall (Yellow, cooling antiseptic spray). I also knock the little burned "caps" off at the end of the burn. That way I'm SURE I got deep enough. Just don't go overboard, of course, or you can kill them.

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I disbud, at 3 to 5 days, and band, at one week. never had a problem.

5. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

Well, we are having someone come out tomorrow to dehorn and castrate. She said she does the horns with the iron one day and then comes back to do it again to make sure she has them good. Its not like doing it twice its just that she says she does it very very carefully and she wont do it in one day. now, Jen H, what age should they start to eat solid foods? They already at 6 days old are nibbling at the alfala leaves and lick the salt block which is in the grain so they nibble on that too. Is this considered "interested"? Thanks. Goatgirl

6. TWOGOATS

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

One of my goats got disbudded @ 3 weeks old with a copper ring and she doesn't have horns. IMHO, the copper will do if it is early enough. I do admit, tho', 3 weeks is really late.

7. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

OK i have a bit of a problem. The lady that came out today to look at the babies said that the horns are too small to do anything yet. She said the same thing about my billy that was going to be castrated. Because of her child with learning disablities she said it would be easier to bring the babies to her house in the begining of this next week and do the dehorning and castrating. When you feel the heads of the babies you can feel the knobs but you cant see it because it is still covered in fur. The lady said this is too small.... is it? they are a week today. Plus, i dont know about taking them to her house. If we do we cant bring the mom. Is it ok to have them separated from the mom for about 30 minutes and this age?? The reason we want this lady to do the disbudding and castrating is because she will do it for free and we feel she will do things as painless as possible. Hte only thing im not sure about is why she cant do it now and should we take the babies away from the mom to do it? Is it worth it? We have a vet that can do it but she is kinda rough around the edges and we dont want it to be too painful for the little ones when shes pressing on there heads to "make sure shes got it good" . Plus she wont do it for free. THe upsode to this would be that the vet could come to the house and do it, therefore not having to separate the babies from the mom. What do you all think i should do?? Thanks for any input. goatgirl

8. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

If you've seen this woman's work and have seen that she does a good job, I would just take them. It won't be too traumatic. It only takes less than a minute to do each kid.

We wait until the horns poke through the skin and hair and do them or when they are even 6 weeks old. It's really a matter of breed and opinion. I've never had scurs.

I took mine to a woman that was an hour away. Until I ran my errands, etc it was three hours until they got back home. I put them into the pen with their mamas and they ran and nursed and were very happy. I watched them off and on for a few hours and everything was fine. I checked them later and then off and on all the next day to be sure they weren't distressed. They were fine.

I was charged also. But only $2 per kid. It was worth it at the time as I was unable to do it myself. Make sure your kids have had a tetnus shot prior to disbudding and castrating.