When a spouse dies, how does Social Security do things ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading and Retirement' started by ladytoysdream, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Clem

Clem Realist

Once again, from the SSA website, itself:
    https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou7.html
    "A surviving spouse or child may receive a special lump-sum death payment of $255 if they meet certain requirements.

Generally, the lump-sum is paid to the surviving spouse who was living in the same household with the worker when they died. If they were living apart, the surviving spouse can still receive the lump-sum if, during the month the worker died, they:

If there's no eligible surviving spouse, the lump-sum can be paid to the worker's child (or children) if, during the month the worker died, the child:

If the eligible surviving spouse or child is not currently receiving benefits, they must apply for this payment within two years of the date of death.

For more information about this lump-sum payment, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-800-772-1213 ( TTY 1-800-325-0778)."

For a program as well documented as Social Security, there is a plethora of commonly accepted misinformation disseminated.

2. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

you guys only get 255 death payment? we get 2500 or so. that covered everything for me for both of my husbands. course I went as inexpensively as I could. cost my friend 10 000 for his wife and he's still paying it off.~Georgia

3. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

That's what I got when DH died almost 10 years ago. Fortunately (or not) he died in a VA hospital & was buried in a VA cemetery, so with what VA paid ($2,200), his funeral and the dinner for close friends & family after was entirely paid.

I think it was about 3 years later that my son-in-laws' father died. My daughter handled most of the arrangements after a funeral home tried to sell a 10,000 funeral to her mother-in-law...."they'd let her make *payments*!" They ended up paying a touch over $2,300 for the funeral, transfer to a cemetery 100 miles north to where the man had lived many years ago, and the tombstone. My daughter knows how to deal.

Mon

4. newfieannie

yeah FM. see I didn't know that until after I had Andrew cremated that they would pay for everything. also he had a plot already paid for back in 49 by one of his wives but didn't want to go there.

I've been all these years not knowing what I should do I didn't even know which cemetery until a couple months ago. I called and you can't just spread ashes now. they wanted 8 or so hundred for whatever they do.(tiny hole about 6 inch square) bunch of vultures! my son said many people do it and just don't tell anyone.

I could have spread him on my land. for some reason though i didn't feel good about any of it.anyway I found out last week I can take him over to rest at the sanctuary at the coast guard I think it is and they have a burial at sea every may for the vets. it must be the right thing because I feel really good about it. so yes I got all the papers ready last night and I'm going over with his cremains on Friday ~Georgia

alida likes this.
  5. frogmammy

Your son is right! LOL!

My husband didn't want cremation, so we went the other route. I am all for cremation for myself, so guess I'll rest in a hole on top of him at the VA cemetery.

I love that burial at sea! I'd bet my husband would have gone for that, if he'd known it was an option (ex-Navy)! I think it is so very nice of you to want to do what would be right for your DH. Kudos to you!

Mon

6. newfieannie

Andrew was ex navy too! I thought it was tomorrow but found out last night it was today.i just got back. my son drove me over because I had never been in stadacona but he worked there. it's like a small city onto itself. I would have gotten lost in no time.

yes i'm sure it was right FM. felt right when I left him. he was always proud to serve his country. he was in the british navy for years until he found out he could be transferred to Canadian navy.he was born in Manitoba but his mother took him back to Lincolnshire with her when he was 6. I can take 4 others with me on the ship for the service but it'll likely be just my son and I unless my bro. is visiting in may.~Georgia

7. frogmammy

What I did the morning Dave died, I went to the banks where we had both names on the accounts and took all the money out. Just in case!

Mon

8. 1OldBear

1OldBear Member

When my late wife got really ill, I was afraid she was not going to make it and regrettably I was right. Fortunately our church has its own in sanctuary columbarium so I bought a niche that will hold two. I don't know for sure that I will still want to be there thirty years from now but it's a good bet. I'm military retired so I suspect that the cost of my cremation/memorial will also be completely covered.