When a spouse dies, how does Social Security do things ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading and Retirement' started by ladytoysdream, Sep 11, 2017.

1. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

Recently, the cousin's mom passed away. She was 90. Her Dad is still
    alive and well and not sure his age, but around 90.
    So during a conversation today, cousin made mention that her Dad's checking
    account has been frozen. So who does this .....social security ?
    I can understand part of the account, but why all the money frozen ?

So in our household, we have two checking accounts. His SS and pension,
    goes into the primary one, and my SS goes into the second account. I did this
    a few years, because of some advice from our bank. So now I am thinking if
    something happens to my husband, then my account should be safe and I would
    have some money to continue on with till the SS gets things straightened around.

2. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

the father or excecutor would have cancelled pensions and ss right away. I wouldn't think ss had anything to do with it. most likely the bank froze it for something. sometimes they do it when they find out people have passed. course I don't know how it works down there. others who know will chime in soon.

we had a joint account and I had my own. none were interrupted. course I didn't mention they had passed to the bank until I went in with the wills and whatnot. I did have trouble with one bank when my friend passed even though everything was joint and I was the sole beneficiary it was still months before they would release my money ~Georgia

3. po boy

po boy Saltine American

I just went through something like this a few months ago after my wife died. The account wasn't frozen, but SS check did not show up on the date received and they stopped emailing notifications of deposits and some withdrawals. A few emails fixed that.
    If it is frozen, the only thing I can of is that the wife may have been overpaid and SS is withdrawing the overdrawn payments. Your cousing and her dad need to visit the bank

hunter63 likes this.
  4. Clem

Clem Realist

You're supposed to get $255, as the surviving spouse. You may need to contact SSA yourself to get that.

5. po boy

po boy Saltine American

Yes, you have to contact SSA to get it. I called in and had to make an appointment for a phone call about 3 weeks later. Believe it or not that call took about 30 minutes and the questions were ridiculous.

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

My mom got her SS on the first of the month. She passed on Feb 27th and since she died during the month the SS office demanded Feb payment back in full. I thought that was pretty crappy since I had already paid the care person for the entire month of Feb with that SS payment.

Forcast likes this.
  7. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Same with my mom. I had all her bills on auto pay in the beginning of the month. So i had to repay SS the full month as well. She pasted on the 29th. Had to return her retirement mom from dad as well for that month dad had past 10 years before mom. You only get one death benefit. Mom collected the 200 some $ on dad i could not collect it on mom.

8. po boy

po boy Saltine American

My wife's SS check was the second Wednesday of each month. She died on the 27th. and they did not ask for anything back.

9. Kmac15

Kmac15 This is my life

I would talk with the bank. My mom was just widowed and when she called the bank to ask if they were planning of freezing the account they told her no, if her name is on the account with his there is no need.

Alice In TX/MO likes this.
  10. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

From what I understand now, it was a temporary freeze. The account is back to normal now.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

PrairieClover likes this.
  11. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

The "February" payment doesn't come until March.

12. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Actually SS pays in advance, so the March payment would have to be returned if they died before March 1st.

13. Bearfootfarm

You don't receive your first SS payment the month you qualify, so you are always running a month behind.

When my mother died on the 27th of June, the only payment that had to be returned was the one that came on the 3rd of July. Money that had already been received was not affected at all.

14. po boy

po boy Saltine American

My wife died on the May 27th and she did not receive a SS check in June. Her normal date was the 2nd. Wednesday of each month.

15. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Your example proves my point: she was alive in June so that payment (June 3rd) was kept, she was dead before July 1st so that payment (July 3rd) had to be returned.

16. Bearfootfarm

Your "point" has nothing to do with the post I was replying to, and changes nothing I said.:

17. Clem

Clem Realist

Furthermore, SS payments are NEVER paid in advance.

"All Social Security checks are paid one month in arrears."
    http://tucson.com/business/national...cle_647e9de6-4898-5922-a6d0-0d8fcdb6bfab.html

From SSA.gov
    Social Security benefits are paid the month after they are due.

If you tell us you want your benefits to start in May, you will receive your first benefit check in June. (If you want to receive your first benefit check in May, you need to be eligible for benefits in April AND tell us you want your benefits to start that month.)
    https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying1.html

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  18. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

When my father passed away, the coroner who was also the funeral home director helped us in notifying SSA , getting my mother the $255 death payment and verifying he had lived long enough during his final month that the month's payment did not have to be returned and there was no check the following month.

19. Declan

Declan Well-Known Member

If it was an individual account, the bank freezes it upon notification of death. The proper person then has to set up arrangements with the bank to get the money. The estate is a different "person" in banking world. If the estate isn't administered, then the legal heirs have to demonstrate they are the legal heirs and each will have to sign a form and it takes a few months after the death before the funds are released. In my mom's case, I just had all my brothers and sisters sign an authorization to turn it all over to me as I was the one informally probating and administering the estate i.e. I was one paying the bills as they came in. It wasn't that big a thing really. I had used the POA to strip all the money out when she went downhill (she knew what I was doing) and the SS checks coming in between then and her death I wrote out to bills.

The funeral home generally notifies SS of the death when they file the death certificate. If funds have been sent but not yet payable, they will back that transaction out of the account and the heirs have to file a form directly with the SSA including a copy of their birth certificates, to claim.

20. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

The $255 ages old death benefit can only be claimed by the widow or widower. No estate, ex spouse or child is eligible for it.

As far as the being alive period stipulation of SSA retirement pension, that is why many retirees try to cushion their cash reserves a month or two worth to give the surviving spouse time to get financial matters realigned and life insurance policies cashed in to transition to a one person income during the 6 weeks or so after the spouse has died.

When my father passed away at home the coroner / funeral home director time of death declared him and took the corpse to begin the prepaid cremation process.

The following day he delivered the cremains , went through all the paperwork with us and had my mother sign the surviving spouse paperwork to receive the token burial benefit as the arrangements were all prepaid and there was no outstanding balance due with the funeral home so the $255 was sent to her instead of the funeral home.

In addition to the official death certificate copy for her files, he also gave here 15 or 20 copies of it with red "Copy " stamps on them for her to give to the bank or creditors.

One thing I still remember is as he walked us through the initial steps to take following the death, he told my mother that he knew the $255 was a drop in the financial bucket in the present (1992) and barely covered a flower arrangement or two , but in the 1930s it covered a no frill funeral and often a month or so worth of income.

We all shared a smile when she said she was glad they had pre arranged everything and the $255 would cover the barbecue buffet from my father's favorite barbecue shack after we scattered his cremains and invited his friends to the house for post scattering reception.