Wheezing

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Xandras_Zoo, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Ok, so one of my bunnies is wheezing through her nose.

Sometimes it is quite loud, and it is hard to tell what it is, but I'm sure it isn't coughing or sneezing.

There is no discharge.

None of the other rabbits have it and it's being going on for a couple weeks.

She isn't wheezing 24/7, just sometimes. I think moreso when she is stationary.

Her breathing in the chest cavity sounds clear. There isn't any catch or anything.

She has no unusual lumps in her neck. Her teeth aren't growing into her nose. I checked the roof of her mouth and there doesn't seem to be any obstruction.

Her nose is a little bit disfigured and has been for most of her life. I don't think this is the cause.

She is eating, drinking and is active.

I just dunno what it is :shrug: :help:

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Could it be the heat and humidity? I heard you've been getting unusually hot weather out there lately.

3. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

Last year I bought some angora rabbits. I traveled to pick them up and about a week after I got home they began to sneeze. Same thing happened. Sneezing and carrying on. So bad at one point that I had to bring 2 of them in because between the heat and the sneezing they had bloody noses. I still have one of them in the house, he is a fixture. But the other I put back outside when the weather got better. But she began to sneeze again. The breeder and I were convinced they had snuffles. I treated them with everything I and the vet could think of. During winter the problem got better and I thought I had it licked. But spring came and it started all over again. I finally figured out they have allergies to the cottonwood trees that overhang my rabbitry. I made the mistake of feeding them the saplings last spring and they developed an allergy to the trees. Now in the spring when the leaves come out they sneeze all over again. But not feeding them helps. Without the trees in their systems their allergy is much better. The vet said that if I had not fed them the leaves they may not have developed the allergy like they did. I hate it when they know what I did wrong after the fact. Yours may not be cotton wood but something else that they were introduced to under 18 months old. Go figure? Good luck. But I do know if you can find out what it is and take it out of their diet they will do much better. :shrug:

4. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

I have heard of rabbits being allergic to hay also.

5. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Well, the weather hasn't been unusually hot but it is hot. Like, you-can't-walk-on-the-pavement-in-your-bare-feet-because-it-burns kind of hot. I don't really think that's it though because this bunny sleeps in my room at night, so it's cooler, and that's when I'm noticing the wheezing.

Now allergies... I actually thought about allergies but just sort of dismissed it because I hadn't done new (or so I thought) and because you don't hear about bunnies getting allergies very often. But, now that I think about it, I did give her some of the new bale a few weeks ago, and around then was when the wheezing began. It is just mixed grass local hay (I usually get Timothy), so it is very possible there's some sort of plant that doesn't sit well with her. It does make sense because I don't notice when she's outside.

I will try changing her hay back to Timothy. Thanks for the input, all! You may have just saved me a $150 vet bill!

6. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not sure how many on here believe in using homeopathic medicines for rabbits, but I did find this website in my domestic rabbits magazine.

www.rabbitmedicinechest.com

It has information about treating for tons of different things, allergies and snuffles included. Some of the stuff is kind of expensive, but depends on what you want for the rabbits I guess. They have lots of information on other critters as well, dogs, cats, and birds.

Hope you enjoy it and hope it helps.

7. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

Not sure if this info will help you but maybe it will for someone??

I got an email from a gal who couldn't figure out why her bunnies were sneezing... come to find out, it was a mix of heat, humidity and ammonia odors... she had to start cleaning out her litter pans a bit more often than she had been during the spring/winter due to the heat and humidity.

I have started to totally sweep out my barn DAILY and clean litter pans DAILY... ugh! Have been putting down lime on the cement floors, too to help urine dry better, too.. also makes sweeping a breeze for the most part instead of "scooping" with a shovel <G>. I still have flies :bash: But the smell is gone at least until the following morning... when I get to clean some more.. :Bawling:

Terri

8. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Plain white vinegar works great to cut urine odours. It also dissolves the mineral scale that tends to crust in the litter pans.