Wheezing then death??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by ozark_jewels, Jun 10, 2006.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi guys,
    I have a question. I had a NZ doe who had given me 4 sets of healthy bunnies in the past several months. She has never had a health problem the entire time I owned her. I am getting out of the rabbit business and sent the NZ doe off to her new home yesterday. I colony-raise my rabbits and when I went to catch her, she was lounging in the shade with the rest of the colony. In good flesh with healthy eyes and hair. I put her in a box with plenty of air holes for the trip. When I put her in the box, I noticed a slight wheezing noise. So I pulled her out....No wheezing. Put her back in, slight wheezing. Pulled her out, silent breathing. So I decided it was just that she didn't like the box. Sent her with Mom who was meeting the buyer in a town a 1/2 hour away with instructions to tell her about the slight wheezing and tell them what I thought. Today I got an e-mail from the buyer saying that the wheezing had worsened today and the doe had died this afternoon.
    My question is: Could it be the heat and stress of moving?? It is very hot this week, 90's during the day. My rabbits in their colony haven't even seemed to notice the heat, but they aren't being moved like this doe was.
    If not the heat and stress...then what?? Thanks for any ideas you may have.
    And yes, I have offered a refund on the doe.

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Heat and stress together can cause real problems. I remember years ago taking my son's pet rabbit to the cottage for the summer. Hot, hot day, no air conditioning in the car. Poor Buffy was wheezing and puffing by the time we got there. And she was in a wicker basket which was better ventilated than a cardboard box with air holes.

Fortunately we got there in time... and she bounced back pretty fast in the coolness of the cottage in the woods. But she had me scared.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the input. The car did have air-conditioning.......but it still would've been hot. I figure it was the combo of heat and stress. All my other rabbits are fine.

4. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

If your colony rabbits are on the ground with burrows, they stay a lot cooler than the one that was moved. The burrows stay around 60F I think, depending on how deeply they're dug.