wheel driven baler?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ponyexpress, Jun 17, 2005.

1. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

Is there such a thing as a wheel driven baler? I would like to have one that I could pull with the draft horses or the tractor. Any ideas where I could find one?
    Thanks.
    Anne

2. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Not sure BUT I have seen Amish mount a separate engine on a baler. The old AC small, round balers are give-aways around here but still require a pto drive of some kind.

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a company that converts pto driven balers to ground drive. They also sell the kit to convert your own baler if you already have one. I have the info in a back issue of Small Farmers Journal. I'll try to dig it out and find it for you. In the meantime if you like check with the Journal at 1-800-816-2893 and I'm sure they can get you the info on the company. They also have a website: www.smallfarmersjournal.com. This is a great magazine and super friendly folks when you talk to them.

4. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the info!
    I will check out the Small Farmers Journal. It looked interesting, but I'm already hooked on Countryside and Rural Heritage (dh says I just like
    to look at the mule pics).
    Anne

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I would think that a baler would take so much power packing the bales that it wouldn't be practical at all to use draft horses unless the machine itself is engine driven. Maybe you could borrow the Budweiser Clydesdales to pull it and to hone their pulling power.

They'll be at the Kansas State Fair this coming September if anyone is interested. Well one team of them, as they have several hitches.

6. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

many of the early balers had an option of either there own 4cyclinder wisconson motor or the pto drive,

but like said before there are "PTO" carts that the horse Pulls that has a small motor that is geared to the pto speed and then it pulls the implment,

but I dont think ground drive would work very well, I have had square balers and large round balers and both take some power to run and on the old small square balers they will shake a small tractor around, and if you slug it you can kill a 40 hp tractor fairy easly,

7. tyusclan

The ground drive works extremely well. If memory serves it takes 4 horses to pull it. The gear reduction is so low the by the time the horses take two full steps the baler is turning 540 rpm.

8. tyusclan

I just noticed that I posted the wrong phone number in the first post. It's 1-800-876-2893. Sorry about that. The ground drive baler is really amazing. You have to see it to believe it.

9. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

While travleing through the east (I think it was Ohio or Penn.) I saw some amish men with their horse hooked up to the rear end of a Allis Chalmers tractor and the baler was driven by the pto from the tractor rear end. Am guessing one would be able to buy a tractor rear end or a tractor with out a engine fairly reasonable.

Just a thought.

10. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I remember the balers with their own engines. Dad had one when I was young. There were also pull combines with own engine.

Before that believe there were stationary balers. Baler in one place driven by mule or whatever going round and round. Hay brought to the baler. Only seen couple complete ones and never seen one being used. Dont think they were particularly popular. Most people of that era didnt bale but stored loose hay.

11. tyusclan

The name of the company is Zehr's Repair Shop in Indiana. Sorry, I don't have the name of the town. The baler was introduced at Horse Progress Days in 1998. SFJ had another article on the baler in a later edition that may have more info. I'll keep looking.