wheel chair ramp

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by billyj, May 22, 2005.

1. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

Will be building a wheel chair ramp for a friend in a few days. I'm sure there must be regulations and will education myself on the rules. What would be great is help in finding ideas on how to. Good basic instruction would help all with a bill of materials in included. Unable to find info if using pressure treated wood is okay.

Thanks for your help.

2. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

The basic regs are;
    1. 1:12 maximum slope, that is a 1 inch drop per 12 inches in length.
    2. 30" maximum rise between landings.
    3. Landings should be a minimum of 60"x60".
    4. Ramp should be 36" minimum between curbs or guardrails.
    5. Ramp should have a curb or guardrail, curb should be 2" minimum.
    6. Ramps having a rise of 6" or greater or a run greater than 72" should have handrails along both sides.
    7. Handrails should be between 34" to 38" above ramp surface.

yes pressure treated wood is fine as long as the ramp surface is stable, firm and slip resistant.

Hope that helps. The info comes from "Building Construction Illustrated" 3rd edition, Copyright 2001. As far as I know it is still valid information.

3. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

My mother's ramp is made from pressure treated wood. If you plan on using this; consider the strips of "grip" tape. They sell this stuff at Home Depot and is kinda expensive for what it is, but as a care giver pusing the chair up and down the ramp in wet weather; I'd rather have the grip stuff. It comes in different colors and is like sand paper...wish I knew the real name. If you just ask for stuff for stairs to make them less slippery the hardware place should know what you're talking about.

4. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, as always you're a great help
    Billy J