Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's back together now , just needs the wheels put on.
when I took this pick I had just sat down to take a break after beating that hub assembly off with my splitting maul.
who says an 8 pound maul isn't an automotive tool.

If I end up doing it again I used anti-seize so it won't take quite as much beating.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Did you also use a loud voice, foul language and throwing things? It usually works for me.

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this was my first Bearing hub assembly , I have had mostly 2wd ford trucks and vans , this is a non issue on 2wd ford trunks and vans because you repack the bearing when you do the brakes .

Gee if only there were a way to insert grease into this assembly

have you ever wondered , why it is we have Bearing Buddies on our trailers but the cars and trucks we put so many more miles on don't get a constant feed of grease.

grease works I am a believer in the grease my 18 year old E350 van with about 250K miles was still on original front end joints , the joints all had threaded plugs when it was 2 years old I spent about 10 dollars on zert fittings and replaced all the plugs with good 90 degree zerts positioned so that they were easy to get to and got greased

I kept being told how common ball joints were on those vans , some couldn't believe I hadn't needed ball joints in 250K

I let that van go in 2019

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you also use a loud voice, foul language and throwing things? It usually works for me.
no not really there were some good videos on the procedure so mostly just followed it , it helps a lot to see what it is going to look like. this used to come from the experience of doing the first one then you were much better at the second. now with good videos it helps a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts