Wheat

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ofsailsnbales, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Ofsailsnbales

Ofsailsnbales Member

Hey Folks,
    I'm wondering about wheat. Specifically, what is involved in starting a crop of wheat. Also, if I were to plant wheat one year, let's say an acre, how would I go about expanding that acre the next year? How can one collect the seeds? Prefferably with as little money as possible after the initial seeds are gathered. Ideally with no money, but I don't know a lot about wheat, so mabey that's not possible. Oh! I suppose I should tell you my location, I live on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, on the Eastern Coast of Canada. Hope someone can help me. Thank you, farewell!

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Hi, first off, welcome to the forums.

Since I live in the U.S. state that is usually number 1 or 2 in the production, and since I used to grow wheat on a farm I feel somewhat qualified to answer your question---save for how it would do in your location. Over on the old "Countryside and Small Stock Journal" magazine forum I once wrote a post telling about the growing of wheat on a small scalle. Here is the url to that post, if it doesn't work, it is in the archives on this forum. I posted there as greenbeanman.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/homestead/Countryside/Wc2720c81cabb6.htm

Yes you can save seed from one crop to use for the next. Around here the sowing rate is around 60 pounds per acre (43,560 square feet).

There have also been some questions asked on this forum of late that may be of interest as to wheat production.

Again, welcome to the forums.

3. Ofsailsnbales

Ofsailsnbales Member

Thank you very much!
    Your post was very helpful, thank you for replying. I admit my ignorance, I do not know about collecting seeds. How do I go about this? How do I get seeds from the wheat? If I planted an acre with seeds I recieved elsewhere, and that used up all the seeds I had, then the next year I had to gather the seeds from the plants... is this possible? How often does wheat need to be replanted? Once it is planted the first time does it, if undesturbed, continue to grow year after year? I don't know how this works with wheat. Thank you, farewell!

4. rwood

rwood Well-Known Member

Howdy,

Ive been doing some research into this myself, so while I have yet to do it on a large scale, I have the theory and practice on about 10 feet x 10 feet of wheat.

Wheat is an annual, so you have to re-sow every year.

You can easily gather enough seed for next year. I think the average head of wheat has around 30 grains (seeds), which grew from the one original single grain, so you dont need many to replace your seed bank.

On the small scale you are talking about, a scythe would be the best option for you. Cut the wheat the same direction leaving neat rows of cut wheat (windrows). This can be gathered in bunches (like flowers with all the heads of wheat at one end), tied and stacked to dry.

When its dry (learn more about how to figure this out exactly), you beat these bunches over a fence or railing or similar, and the grains fall out (have a tarpaulin or sheet on the ground on the other side). If you do this on a windy day, the wind will blow the chaff away leaving the grains on the collection sheet.

You then have some fantastic straw in your hands for livestock bedding or composting etc.

Hers a quick website to help you with varieties you might like to grow.

http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/WGAtoZ.html

Its sounds time consuming and labour intensive :( , but unreal fun!! :) I cant wait to have a go at one acre next year.

Good luck.
    Raphael from Australia