Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 50 pound bag of wheat "middlings" for treats for my gilts. I put a few scoops in a bucket and added water to make it a mash and holy moly did they like it!! They were like half the price of any other grain and listed at 14% protein. Anybody else ever fed them?

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I bought a 50 pound bag of wheat "middlings" for treats for my gilts. I put a few scoops in a bucket and added water to make it a mash and holy moly did they like it!! They were like half the price of any other grain and listed at 14% protein. Anybody else ever fed them?
They vary a bit from mill to mill. I got some last year protein about 16 % protein.

They are about 90% energy value of corn.

I plant 5 ac. of wheat in the fall. I never harvest it i just let the pigs graze it in the summer. Also plant milo,corn,peas and a few other things. My pigs love to graze the different pastures.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I feed wheat to my pigs should I be sokeing it befor I'm feeding it?
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/an027

You get a lot more value out of it to grind it. Different ways to feed it.
Wheat does have more Lysine than corn which will out weigh the need for protein. However i do prefer corn as a main feed for my pigs. Makes for more fat in the meat which i like. More favor.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Nice link, Gerold. Thank you for always providing beneficial info.
Hi Shore. I don't know what wheat seed you have there. Here i use Soft red winter wheat seed. (Beretta and some Roane) Been plowing today, nice weather. Will be planting in a week or two.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We are in a major transition in the feed dept. Our feed mills are gone in our area - thing of the past. There is an agribusiness locally, so we are going to see if we can get grain and start getting it by the ton. Then, we will need to find supplements. Our current feed is too expensive now that the girls and guy are big. Winter is coming! Great weather here as well - gonna be 80 tomorrow when I run new cattle fence. They are predicting a warm fall but brutal winter. The good and the bad! Just planted Austrian winter peas, rye and turnip mix for the pigs winter pasture. Coming up nicely with this weather. :thumb::hijacked: sorry - off topic!

·
Registered
903 Posts
I was always told to watch out in feeding to much wheat because it'll make soft meat. Is there any truth to that? Also isn't wheat especially good for lactating sows?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Are wheat middlings the little hard seeds?

I had noticed that when I throw flakes of straw into the stall for the piglets' bedding, they go crazy rummaging for the seed heads. So I asked my local farmers co-op. They said they sell wheat seed for planting and wheat seed for feeding. I bought a bag of the latter but didn't ask the difference.

I only throw a couple handfuls out to keep them distracted while I clean the stall. But I have been concerned that they are so hard. It appears the piglets are digesting them. (Unless I'm setting them up for a major compaction problem?)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Middlins are leftovers after wheat berries are ground for flour they are a byproduct. It is no problem to feed whole corn or wheat to hogs they just get more nutrition out of it easier if it is ground . My grand parents had a big old bank barn in Pennsylvania and they fed out about 20-30 head of steers in the bottom level they kept 5-10 head of hogs in with the steers and the hogs ate manure and got a bucket or so of straight ear corn everyday they ate the corn right off the cob . I keep a couple hogs running with my jersey cows and they keep manure piles cleaned up well too

1 - 20 of 21 Posts