wheat bran... store near us throwing it out... uses???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by june02bug, Jan 8, 2004.

1. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

There is a feed type store near here that is throwing out a lot of wheat bran. It seems to be ground up and in bags with only a horse head on it. I know some use it for horse feed and it isn't that popular anymore. The only critters we have besides a dog and cats are chickens. Does anyone know of a use for this stuff... ???

2. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I use it in my bread & granola all the time!

3. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

The kind for horses???

4. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

You can mix it in with your poultry feed but first make sure of why they're throwing it out. It may be contaminated with a chemical or other toxic substance and they have to get it off the shelves. You don't want to kill your chickens.
    A local feed dealer here disposed of goat feed about 7 mos ago-when the main company did random testing they found that it had some urea in it which wasn't listed on the tags and urea isn't used with goats.

5. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

oh gosh, if it is good enough for my horse, it is good enough for us!

Bran muffins, cookies, bread, mix it with other grains and feed it to the horses!
    *sigh* but oh those muffins! Blueberry Bran Muffins, Peach Bran Muffins, Apple Cinnamon Bran Muffins, guess you could feed that to the horses too...but <grin>

*sigh* guess you could modify these recipes at this link to use bran

http://grulloquarterhorses.homestead.com/cookies.html

oh but Cherry Bran Muffins, oh...cherry bran bread! peach bran bread... guess you could give it to the horses. <smile>

6. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I dunno what the difference is... if any... all I know is that I get this brown flakey stuff that's called wheat bran & put it in my baking...

I've used it in muffins, too... YUM YUM

7. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

If it is good as in not spoiled or buggy, I would eat it too, if it is buggy but other wise good, chickens or pigs would eat some, if it is spoiled such as mold it will still be good for the garden or compost, mix it in some, soild layers will mat together and block oxigen flow.

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I wonder how it burns? it might make a good fire restarter...
    i toss a handfull of pine shavings in when the fire burns almost down to no coals and POOF you got fire again, just toss in some wood and its roaring again...
    time saver.
    that kinda feed waste i get sometimes, old pellets, scratch, cracked corn, bran, beet pulp.. ect. I keep spreading it in the garden. as long as it isnt seeds.
    got enough it may make a good flower bed mulch?

9. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Feed mills put it in the feed of animals that tend to be a little constipated such as brood sows or horses on dry feed.
    Wheat bran makes excellent bedding for little chickens. Does not hurt them if they eat some as much as sawdust or shavings would. It'll fill your belly and not make you fat, and besides that it will make you get friendly with the pot. I hope none of you are poor enough to eat animal feed that can have more dirt in it than you can shake a stick at.

10. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I get mine from the grocery store & swampdweller's wife... don't think it'll have dirt in it... (that is unless swampy is playing a joke on me... which isn't unheard of.. )

11. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I would spread it on my garden...couldn't hurt!