What's your water usage?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ellebeaux, May 2, 2006.

1. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I still can't figure out how I use so much water per month. As a single woman with a 75 (?) gallon water heater, my water usage is 1400 gallons/month. That's almost 47 gallons a day!

I mean, I shower 3-4 times/week and do sponge baths the other days. Don't flush every time (unless necessary!). I run the dishwasher once a week. Have a frontloading EnergyStar high efficiency washer that I do about 4 loads of laundry a week. Maybe water the garden if it needs it. But this seems like so much water for one person to be using!

What's your water consumption like?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Elle, put some food coloring in the tank on the toilet, leave it alone for a while then look in the bowl and see if there is any food coloring in the bowl l water. The bowl water should remain clear. The toilet valve is a true water waster and it is very difficult to realize it is leaking and the water slowly weeps into the waste line.

3. dale

dale Well-Known Member

if you live in town and have city water or rural water district.. most water meters today have either a small triangle in the middle of it it is the leak detector it will move if you have a leak or are using water.. should not move if you have everything off.

Like the other poster.. toilets are terrible for leaking.

our family uses about 5-6ooo gallons per month but I have a teen age daughter that takes 2 some times 3 baths a day and changes clothes like they will fall apart if worn over 4-5 hours a day.. lots of laundry.

dale

4. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

I really haven't given it any thought. Once lived in a house with a cistern that dried up in the summer & had to catch rain water for the bare necessities. Now, I have a well & the water is plentiful so I generally don't waste but I sure don't skimp on it either. Family of 4 shower daily, more laundry than I care for, etc. I don't water the lawn & only water the garden if it's been a drought. Hate to wash the cars so that's once in a blue moon.;)

5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

400 to 800 gallons per month, depending on the season ,by cycling all grey water to the gardens and worm bins.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Average water use per person in the USA is about 75 gallons per day.

7. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

I just happened to get my water bill.

Family of 2, bathe daily, laundry as needed, dishwasher couple times a week, rest by hand, water garden maybe once a week or less, filled the 50+ gallon goldfish pond this month, extra dishes due to making soap & lotion this month

Total useage 4100 gal. Based on a 30 day month, that's 68.34 gal per day per person. WOW - never would have guessed it. Now I have a number to try and beat!

:grump: I have county water & sewer. My water cost was $17.36 for said water but the sewer cost was $34.38!!! :grump: $51.73 for two people just for water. :flame: Drives me nuts.

Nance

8. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

way to much water. My washer uses about 40 gallons pre wash load and i do about 19 loads a week. 7 people bathing, dishes potty use. I know its way to much. We now scoop out the water from the tub and water teh garden. We let out 25 gallons of water a day from baths and showers. 25 x 7= 175 gallons for teh garden. We are tring to get the drain pipes for the tub washe and sinks diverted to the lawns and garden. Drought will be no worries then.

Watering the lawn= 20 gallons every 3 minutes. water for 3 hour=1200 gallons.

Our garden shall not be dry this summer. :)

9. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Just recently, I checked our last two years' water bills to find out exactly how much water we normally used. For 3 adults during the July-August time period (our heaviest usage) we used an average of 250 gallons a day - that included watering the garden and we did not conserve water in any way. Now that we will be moving to a place with a well, we will be using as many water conservation measures as we can. Which means that my nightly bubble bath/reading time will have to go away :Bawling:.

10. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We had a winter of no water and we were able to get by on a 5 gallon carboy of water a day for all our need EXCEPT the toilet. Flushing takes a ton of water. So does a conventional washing machine (we've since switched to an water conserving front loader).

47 gallons a day sounds like a lot, but if you've got a couple of people flushing a toilet, say.. 6x per day at 2 gallons a shot.. that's 12 gallons right there!

11. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Suggest re toilet- If it's yellow let it mellow- best H2O conservation method I know!

12. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I'm on a well some unsure of how much we use. Will second the toilet. We had an old one and knew it was leaking because the well pump would kick on now and then for no reason (now we know). We replaced it and all is great in the world.

13. Bitsy-Bet

Bitsy-Bet Well-Known Member

In our news paper, there was an article about the county water board wanting to put a meter on all rural wells. So far we have no water bills but I can see it coming.

14. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

We don't have a well. We get water from my neighbor's well. We bathe daily, do at leat 2 loads of dishes, wash hair at the gym, and use creek water for laundry in the wringer washer. There are 3 of us (sometimes 4 when ex comes for a few days) and we use about 14 gallons per day for all of us. We also use a sawdust toilet.

15. peanutgreen

peanutgreen Well-Known Member

We're hauling water right now while we live in a camper. About every 3 days we fill a 55-gallon barrel and 2 five-gallon buckets. That provides the water for our showers, washing dishes, watering chickens and dogs, and watering the garden/fruit trees (if needed). We also haul about 5-10 gallons of drinking water per week. We go to town and wash our laundry, usually around 4 loads/week.

16. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Our RV home has a fifty-gallon fresh water tank. When we are away from a water source, as we are with some regularity, that tank will last four or five days.

17. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ours comes in cubic feet--usually around 750. Can anyone convert that to gallons? Two people, plus day care baby, lots of work(hobby) laundry for dh.

18. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

One cubic foot = 7.480519 gallons x 750 cubic feet = 5610 gallons (if calculations are correct)

19. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Until we get the drain in the shower fixed, we are using two 1-gallon jugs each to shower outside. We wash our hair either in the kitchen sink or under the garden hose. We use rainbarrels to water the animals and garden beds. We only use the dishwasher for draining hand-washed dishes.

We are still in drought conditions until the end of the month when the rains should start coming every afternoon. Plus we have a shallow 30 foot well, so conserving water is a necessity for us anyway.

Our big water use is the top-loading washing machine. We aim to do a load a day, but somehow the schedule gets ruined and we end up doing several on Saturday instead.

20. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Have that water meter checked out. Mine went bad last year and they charged me for thousands of gallons I didn't use. Water dept. finally replaced the meter head and I got most of that bill rebated to me. The meters will go bad, mine was 31 years old.