What's your opinion on worming?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tobo6, Sep 20, 2004.

1. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Our last pig we didn't worm. The butcher said it was a great looking pig and we think the meat is great. We have one more pig that is getting butchered on Oct. 14, and we have heard from a couple people that they always worm before having their pig butchered.

Does it make a difference? Don't you think the butcher would have said something if our pig had worms (or a lot of worms). Both pigs never had a problem gaining weight and were very healthy so I hate to give medicine if you don't have to use it.

A little info, the pigs were in a pen approximately 50' x 100'. It was grass, but is all worked up now. Just this last week it is pretty muddy, except the pigs sleeping area.

Deb

2. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

You NEVER want to worm a pig prior to butchering it. If your going to worm, it should be done during it's growth, not at finishing. You want all that medication worked out of it's system before you consume it.

I also have mixed feelings on worming. I will tell you that there is no such thing as a pig without worms. Your pig's natural rooting instinct causes him to pick up worms from things like droppings from other animals (like flies, larva, etc). Your butcher most probably isn't going to mention it because the worms won't be in your meat, it's in the intestinal track.

Unless your pig is in really filthy conditions, worming's main purpose is to aid in making the pig gain weight. If your pig has worms, he is not going to gain weight as effectively. He may gain weight fine, but he would gain better if wormed regularly. It's a matter of economics.

For us, I don't like medication in animals unless I have to. On the other hand, I don't want sick animals and I also have to realistic with the cost of feed getting so high (there's even kitchen scraps if you consider it). We compromise. I worm when first get our pigs, then again 2 months later and then again 2 months after that. The 3 times, and that's all. The recommendations are monthly; but, this way, you get the bad stuff, keep your pigs healthy, get adequate weight gain, but don't over do it and it is all worked out before the pig grows up and is butchered. I use Wazine in their water.

Also keep in mind that if you use the same spot for you pigs each year (or even every other year or so) you will have to worm more often. You really should, however, try to pick a new spot each other and not repeat a spot for 5 years to completely kill off any previous infestation.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

If your pig is healthy and looks great, I don't see a reason to worm him. We've grown out three domestic pigs and several wild pigs without using anything but minute amounts of DE in their feed. We butchered them ourselves and there was no evidence of parasites (and we even used the casings).

4. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

I feel a little better. I tell ya, when people are telling you that you HAVE to worm you start getting a little freaked. We asked the butcher to be honest with us about the meat quality, because it was our first pig and we would take his suggestions on raising the other pigs we will be raising. I figured if he says it's real good meat, we did something right.

We did start them out on starter feed, which was medicated, but then switched to organic feed when they hit 50 lbs. They are our only animal that has got the medicated feed, since we like to stay organic.

Thanks,
    Deb

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

there's nobody worming the wild ones.
    I dont use any commercial wormers, they do get a little diatomaceous earth mixed into their treats though

6. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

We didn't worm our first two pigs but thought we'd try our third. After we wormed him he starting gaining weight MUCH better. I was amazed. You CAN worm pigs up until they get butchered if you use the right one. Safe-guard pellets are awesome. The are very safe and it says on the box they can be feed to a pig until they day you take them to butcher. I would definitely do it, especially if they are in the same pen as your others were.

7. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

I have ten sows and I worm them after we pull the pigs off them at 5 weeks old. There breed back and turned back in with the other sows. It probably doesnt completely take care of the worms but at least there wormed twice a year. We keep our sows for 6 farrowing then sold or to the freezer. I like big Pork chops so a 500 or 600 lbs sow in good shape not fat, is just fine for the freezer. Arnold l

8. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

We don't worm. It's not a philosophy thing. The fecal tests are negative for worms, the pigs are healthy and grow fast so there is no need. They are on pasture with sheep and chickens.

I've read, and it makes sense, that being moved around on pasture they don't get as intense an exposure to parasites plus the birds pick apart the poops destroying the habitat and eating the parasites they can find.

And to think I spent $50 on a bottle of wormer from the vet years ago so we would have it on hand - it sits in the fridge. :( Maybe it was good preventative insurance! :)

Cheers,

-Walter
    in Vermont