Whats your opinion on these tractors?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marisal, Oct 13, 2005.

1. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

Hello,

My DH and I want to buy a tractor. We are looking 30 HP ones. I will give you a little background first, so you dont have to spend time mentioning certain things...

We are only interested in new. My DH has an issue with buying anything used.
    Partly because of Warranty. Alot of the news now have 2 years on them.

That whole "Made in America" thing....I not as concerned about that since When I was on the John Deere site looking at specs, it said "Country of Origin: China"

We are looking for 30HP.

We will be getting quiet a few attachment, so if that makes a difference. We will get upfront, a loader, and brush hog. Later will be log splitter, chipper, backhoe, snow thrower, tiller.

Ok. so we are looking at:

John Deere
    Farm Pro
    Kubota
    New Holland

I did do a search here for tractors, but it didnt have quiet the information I was looking for for these specific ones.

Thanks!
    ~Marisa :)

P.S. I'm just looking for opinions on the tractors, not why we shouldn't get one, or used are better, we are dumb for our chooses, etc. etc. Do you know what I mean? :)

2. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

I just went through this last year when I decided to upgrade from my old John deere B. I decided on the John deere 5103. It was low cost (around $13950) and had plenty of horsepower (close to 50). I like the tractor, love the power steering and the confortable seat. I need those since I'm trying to make 60 acres of parture out of brambles.

I chose the deere specifically because the warranty and service. I had a mower that the muffler threads stripped out of the block one month before the warranty expired. John Deere replaced the engine block and several other components to make it right. Its not often you get service like that.

3. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

We just purchased a New Holland 33 new with a front loader and had a New holland 30 before that. They run a little cheaper than the John deere and seem to be a good tractor. The only reason we traded in the other one is because the deal was really good on this one. They run nice are built well. We have very steep terrain and went for the four wheel drive. It sticks to the ground like glue. It is a great tractor.

A friend has a john deere with the front loader. I don't know the exact model, bought new and has had some problems with it. Also, I don't recall the problem. By looking at both closely the New holland seemed to be heavier built but could be the model he had compared to the model we had.

The only problem we have had with the smaller tractors and attachments is that some of the attachments seem to be a little heavy for them.

Whichever model you choose get one with the folding safety bar. Especially if you have a lot of trees. Our first one did not have this option and I was always getting it caught on the trees and breaking branches that ended of hitting me in the head or sticking me in the back.

Also, We are in PA and find equipment is a good bit cheaper in OH. We purchase all of our equipment in OH. So you may want to check in different areas for price differences. If you live near a different state check there also.

4. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

5. flascrub

flascrub Member

tractorbynet.com has number of forums on this subject

6. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

well i hate to say, but i think all tractors under 35 hp are made overseas, different covers are put on them to make them look different..
    have you checked out farmtrac. farmtrac.com i think. there tractor is based on the long, is assembled in north carolina, has a perkins engine, they have good payment program if you are interested in that.....i wanted to look at one...but i'm used to farming with old junk...it suits me.

7. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

Man Ace, I gotta tell ya, after wrestling with that B over the years, thid new fangled basic tractor is great!! I find every excuse to use it instead of the old JD. I'm only using the B for corn cultivation and hay mowing now.

8. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

A friend has a 2001 4WD Kubota - one of the mid-sized ones (not sure what model #) - that he uses primarily for mowing. He breaks mower deck bolts WAY too often because of a design flaw - bolts that are a 'Kubota exclusive' and cost $9 each. After he "mentioned" the problem for about the tenth time, I got sick of hearing about it and spent an hour fixing his tractor. He still breaks bolts, but nowhere near as often - and he now can buy his replacements at the hardware store for a bit more than $1.

(I'm happy with my '48 Ferguson. The last time I had anything major done to it was four years ago.)

9. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

I have to swallow my pride since my 80 horse john deere is made in germany. I have two smaller fords also. In the 30 Hp range it would have to be the Kubota. They are hard to beat for overall quality. The people I know with them never have major problems just common small items.

10. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

We have a Kubota great tractor, never a problem with it. In-laws have a New Holland TC-30, seems to be a pretty decen tractor, the shaft underneath that drives the front axle is exposed and wrapped enough grass up to ruin a $3 seal that took us a week to get is the only problem we had with it. In comparison, the Kubota has a completely enclosed drive shaft on the bottom, no place for grass to wrap and cause problems.

Other than that, both have been good tractors.

My sister and brother-in-law have a John Deere about the same size, they have had real good luck with it.

I don't know anything about the farm pros, mostly I would look them over for quality of construction compared to the other three and make sure you have a warranty and a dealer who can do service nearby in case you have problems.

Oh and on the log splitter, I would get a standalone one, not that much more expensive and it is real nice to have the use of the tractor to move logs to the splitter and cut/split firewood away from the splitter.

11. blessedspotfarm

blessedspotfarm Active Member

My husband and I looked at all the tractors our there and ended up with a Kioti. My first choice admittedly would have been John deere due to the seating and previous experience with them.. but for almost $4K less on a 45 hp model with a pretty long warrenty and 1% financing we couldn't turn down the kioti ....
    I have been very pleased with the handling.. the loader is excellent with self leveling bucket that has an easy detach system. Dual hydrolics in the back are great, and for our 35 acres is handles everything from grass, garden, hay production ect ect...

Only complant, the bush hog we purchased with it is not to my liking...and it has a catagorey 1 pin sytem instead of #2 whihc means we use adapters.

Hope that helps!
    Rhonda

12. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought a John Deere 790 (30 hp) new last December and we love it. For what we need it is perfect and we haven't had any problems with it at all. We use it daily for moving hay, both with the front loader for square bales and a bale spike for the big round ones. We have the post hole digger (wish we'd that a few years ago!) bush hog, fork lift attachment, etc. We also just had a center pto installed in preparation for a snowblower. It is also small enough to maneuver easily inside our horse barn. Good luck with your choice.

13. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I have a 1986 ford 6610 that is more than most need and I gave 9grand for it with less than 300 hours on it. It came with a double bushhoog and a trailer to haul it on. It pushs about 80hp. 8 forward gears and 4 reverse 4 cylinder diesel

14. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we run ford/new holland and have for 33 years. during that time there have been lots of changes and tractor models .most have had very good durability and parts availability. that being said if your nh dealer is far away or has a poor service record then that would be a very large strike against the new holland. close good dealer means a whole lot!! if you have an even playing field for dealers , go and try any model you are looking at at least 3 times before you purchase and get the dealers to show you every aspect of their model. if it feels comfortable but is a few thousand more then it is worth the extra for the ease of use even for part time use.

15. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

The John Deere, New Holland, & Kubota will all be _very_ equal on anything important. Park your rear on one, buy the one that feels right, has a friendly dealer, appeal to you. All will have good parts support, resale value, quality. Pick the one you like for your own reasons.

The Farm Pro will be less quality, less dealer support, less resale value. Your choice if you want to take a gamble on that.

--->Paul

16. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

I know what ya mean, I grew up with daddys '50 model TO20, I have been running a ferguson "50something" 35 model for the last 8 years, bought it with a bushhog, front end loader, and disk for $3,000. It hasnt given me any trouble at all. I put it through all kinds of torture and it wont break down. If it ever tears up I guess I will have to track down the actual year from the serial# to order parts but so far its been the best all around rig I have ever had.

17. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

18. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies!

John Deere 790 27hp with loader is 14,200.

John Deere 3120 29hp just the tractor is 16,000.

Farm pro 30 hp with loader is 12,200.

Kubota B7800 30hp 16,000.

Kioti 30 hp, manual, ag tires with loader 14,900.

the JD 790 would be my pick personally.
    We will use it for clearing the weeds in the trails, carrying wood, clearing small trees? We have a TON of trees, but they are choking each other out so they are very skinny.

cutting lawn out by road and down driveway.

gardening with(very large gardens)

thanks again!

19. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Ours was just a bit bigger than you mentioned, but we had a 45hp New Holland Boomer with the front end loader, and just loved it! When we sold the farm last year, it was on it's way back to the dealer for them to sell it for us, when they got robbed, it along with it. Since we had it insured for full value, we ended up getting to use it for 2 years free :).

We'll buy another when we buy land again. Probably a bit smaller, since we won't buy as much land.

20. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a local JD dealer then the 790 is a good option.