Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everybodys preserving the harvest right now...But what's next on the "To Do" List?
Ours is fence- cutting posts and saving $ for all the rest. OK in true homesteading tradition, its 2 things :rolleyes: Fence and winterizing the house and well, and firewood. (which fits in w/ cutting posts,right?!) Wait a minute, thats 3! :stars:
Maybe some of you can narrow it down better than us! :)

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I want to get bark in the orchard and vineyard. I need to fall clean my house and get ready for winter--I don't spring clean--I do the fall cleaning because I know I will be in here so much more. I want/need to get all windows washed, the shower doors outside and pressure wash those boogers! That's two right?? Queen Bea

·
Registered
456 Posts
As we all know, no project stands alone. They are all intertwined.

Our next major project is to build a post and beam barn on the side of a hill. Going with my theme of all projects being intertwined, that means digging holes for footings (and since we'll be renting an excavator and operator for the day, we'll see if we can squeeze in some other excavator projects for our time with him), cutting down some trees where the barn will stand (thus creating the project of cutting them up to dry for next year's firewood) and then we can let the building begin!

-pour footings

-get beams from sawmill

-start assembling!

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
We are planning to put a lot of work into the garden and try our hand at a Fall garden and cold frame gardening during the winter. Hubby also wants to do some more fencing (including fencing in a large back yard area for the dogs). We also need to do some major maintenance on the barn...which is a shame since the barn is only three years old.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
buspete said:
As we all know, no project stands alone. They are all intertwined.
LOL First project will be to repair all the previous projects destroyed by flooding.

Then I'll tackle the outdoor pizza/bread oven & barbeque.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Ours is to clean out our shed beside the house. We had a new roof put on the house this year so the shed no longer leaks. DH has woodworking equipment in there and it is also where our deep freeze is. I need the room for storage area also. But, alas, waiting until it is cooler.

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
Have way to many to cramp in 2 things
1. build saw dust shed
2.new roof for chicken coop
3.build 12 more slatted floors in pigs farrowing pens
4.clean back porch off, going to stack kitchen fire wood in that this yr
5.fill wood shed for basement stove
6.winterize barn and house
7.get pole barn built to park all the tractors and implements under for winter storage
8.bring cows home
9.finishing filling pantry as things come available that we would likke in there
10.dig trench for drainage out behind the barn so water doesnt run in any more
11.take a deep breath and wish list wasnt so long

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
Oh...do I need reminding? The list is long, but I am thinking:

1) Put in 3 exterior doors & reframe one.

2) New roof over the garden room.

3) Clean out the barn--it's just too dang hot right now.

4) Get another window air conditioner--TODAY!

5) Repair the front porch.

6) Spray the pasture.

I think I'll go back to bed.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
I feel like a piker. :p We'll be in harvesting Hades through October, and then will be happy to have things quiet down a lot. There's a bit of fence repair that can be done, and I want to get some more blueberry bushes and get them in the ground this fall. Otherwise, my big project will be teaching myself to quilt. I bought the stuff and am itching to get started, but haven't hasd the time, and realistically won't have the time until late fall. But then - look out!

Oh, and I guess we will be focusing less on fruit/vegetable production and more on filling the freezer with meat (turkey, turkey sausage, turkey meatballs) and making lots and lots of canned turkey broth.

·
newfieannie
10,721 Posts
All I want to do is get moved. I can only walk 6 ft without bumping into a UHaul box. after that's all packed away in the new house I have to move most of the contents of the place in the country. when that's packed away I have to get the gardens put to bed for the winter and till a few more. all this will probably take me well up to december. ...Georgia.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
to add 1000 sq ft to the garden. It is too dry to dig post holes so I wait for a rain. Until then - decide on a milk goat or not and if so- how/where to build them a shelter.

It's a hard life, but someone has to live it!

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Order semi-dwarf fruit trees for the side of the house :) I'm gonna have a mini orchard!

Dream about having a real homestead in Idaho.....maybe there I can grow decent potatoes? :shrug:

·
Registered
360 Posts
My house is a 97 year old stone 1 1/2 story structure. Had the old wooden siding on the upper part in the back replaced a couple of years ago. Next project is to get the siding on the upper front replaced. This is the original 97 year old wooden siding!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
3. gotta cut downed trees off our hiking trails/road and split for firewood, stack and cover

ROFL~!! Wait til I tell Tony

6. And eventually we oughta consider wiring the shop/garage completely so we can see into the dark recesses without a miner's light.

Anybody got a handy electrician who'd like to come spend a couple of weeks staying in an off grid cabin in Minnesota that would help with wiring? :) I got a soil scientist I can loan yew...
Darn!!! And I made that vow AGAIN last night that when I was done building this house I would never pull another wire!! I could be persuaded however with some Key Lime pie...(hint hint...) :angel:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.