What's your most recent "BEST DEAL" that you have gotten recently?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Dec 6, 2004.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I just bought my wife an '85 John Wright Gingerbread House Cast Iron Mold from ebay for $18.00 including shipping. This will make her very happy as the best "new" price was $28.00 Plus shipping!

Woo Hoo I love good deals. So what is the best deal you have goten on something lately?

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Found the new hardback knitting books I wanted to get for each of my families of nieces at Amazon for half what they were locally, plus I had an awards coupon and got free shipping....which amounted to a total of less than $4 a book. They came today!

3. daycab

daycab Well-Known Member

I finally found a BCS with a 10 horse diesel motor. Came with sickle bar and tiller.Pretty decent price of $597.00. I sure do like online auctions!

4. seedspreader

Ebay or another auction??? If another, list the address, come on man, don't keep it all to yourself.

5. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Does it have to be new stuff from a store?

I recently got a free 10 x 30' house trailer, in rough shape, but good enough for a new chicken house. A neighbor towed it over with his tractor in exchange for a few dressed chickens.

6. seedspreader

Nope, mine wasn't new, but hey, it's hard to ruin cast iron!

That sounds like a good easy new chicken house.

7. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I got a 5'x8' bow window with therma pane glass and two opening panes for 15 dollars. Not sure where I will use it in the Missouri house but I will find a spot.
    Maybe I will build a library room in the spring and use it for a window seat.

8. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I recently aquired, a whole bag of wool yard and wool rug hook yard, christmas garland, red velvet bows, a wooden easile (sp), a wooden 6 foot ladder, a porciline doll with dress, 2 bushel baskets, 1 case of pint jars, and other craft stuff all for FREE. Yes, you guessed it, dumpster diving!!!!!!!!!! Now that is what i call a good deal!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the best deals i have ever gotten was a wonderful ben franklin free standing fire place in perfect condition for $5 at an auction...

and another super duper deal...A like new, double, electric, self cleaning over for $17

I so love a good deal!!!!!

Belinda

9. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Got a great deal at wal mart. I found albacore tuna on the discount rack for 60 cents a can. Bought a case for use. One for emergancy stocks. Love that albacore.

duke

10. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I got a $30 Oregon Scientific weather station(plus remote station) for under $3 @ Target. It wasn't marked and I took it to the counter. The guy said I got the deal of the year. It works great.

I get some great deals from a dumpster, but i'm not talking!

11. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Black Diamond plate tool box (with keys)used (no major scratches and no dents but some one let wax stick,bake on in the sun,looks new under neath)from the pawn shop 60 bucks.And a 60,000 BTU space heater (very like new) 80 bucks.I love pawn shops! :D These was my X-mas presents for work.

Wife got a Diamond ring (engagement and band) with 15 diamonds to signify 15 years of lousy marriage she says.HaHa paid 160 at the pawn shop.Guessing it would cost 2grand from a shop in the mall. :D

Wish i had some more money i always get tons of deals around X-mas time. :(

12. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

13. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

Today my load of saw mill slab was delivered..It costs $10 a bundle & I got 8 bundles...I have about 4 bundles left from last year that I'm cutting up now..I can handle it with a small sthil 018...I'm a happy camper !! Around here they can't sell it & it is too hard to haul myself..It was raining so the logger couldn't go to the woods & was delivering slab...easiest/cheapest heat I've ever had..Lots of butt wood for long fires & enough small to cook or start a fire going...this is the 4th year I've burned it..they are just 10 miles from me so I'm not sure what they'd charge to haul farther.. Love those auctions too...GrannieD

14. mountain granny

mountain granny Well-Known Member

I bought five flannel shirts and five pair of jeans for $1 each at the local senior thrift store. When I got ready to leave the manager (a friend) asked me if I was going past the dumpster. I told her yes and she asked me to throw away a pair of insulated coveralls. I asked her why and she said "they're too dirty to sell and people don't want to have them dry cleaned". I told her I'd take them. I brought them home, washed them in the washer using a mixture of Dawn dish soap and washing soda. Hung them on the line and they came out looking like new. They were too long for DH so I removed the side zipper on the leg, shortened them and replaced the zipper. He's happy as can be.

15. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I guess the best deal I've gotten lately would be a .380 pistol from my boss for $20!With a holster & 1/2 box of ammo!

16. seedspreader

Wow, was he hard up, or did he recently marry a gun activist?

17. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We got some wonderful large windows, wood cook stove and a smaller stove that we can use in our new retirement homestead from a VERY GENERIOUS man, thanks boxwoods...Joan :)

18. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Don't laugh but I bought a 87 Yugo back in the spring for 250 bucks at an auction. I drove it daily round trip 50 miles to work all summer and just put it away for the winter. Spring will see me driving it again. No radio, no power, great gas mileage and I'll drive the junker till it's not worth fixing.
    Good deals here too.... http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

19. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

I about a month ago I drove by the Home Depot waste container and saw a pallet of broken pavers next to it. I loaded them all up an drove them 660 miles north to our cabin.

I set them for a floor in the root cellar. Worked great, had fun.

Alex

[​IMG]
    Happily Grouting Root Cellar Floor

[​IMG]
    Floor of Paver Pieces Can't Even see Cracks

[​IMG]
    Also, Got Free Bi-fold Doors from Our Son's Renovation Project

Alex

20. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Hav'nt had any deals lately but i love the spirit. Alex that root cellar looks great. Good old dumpster diving.I thought this was below me as a kid but now i aspire to be one of the best.Steve