Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've con(vinc)ed ;) a city friend to let me put in some edible landscaping for him. He gets a lot of sun (lucky dog!) and I want to use the trellising to provide partial shade for some of the lettuces and such and the northern side of the trellis. Any ideas?

·
Registered
755 Posts
None. I plant Maestro peas and they don't need any support. I broadcast them in a wide bed and I get three good pickings from them and they hold the pods up pretty good, too.

·
Registered
755 Posts
If you are wanting to grow food to provide shade, I would recommend beans. There are some beautiful bean plants that provide luscious food.

:)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Oh! You wanted to know about the trellis. That's what I get for scanning, instead of carefully reading. LOL!

I think a framed piece of chicken wire attached to some stakes and planted with beans would make some nice shade. I would make it about six feet high for beans, but only about three feet high for peas. Just a thought...

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
We don't trellis our peas but we do trellis the beans and use a stock/cattle panel. Easy to move and will keep the dog out of the garden, too.

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
I do trellis our peas because we get high winds here.
Use Hog panels.. not pretty but it is very sturdy.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

I grow snowpeas on hog panels attached to t-posts.

RF

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use a section of chain link dog run staked by T-posts. It is 16'x6' and I plant on both sides of it . It holds up nice. I plant snap peas against it. At the end of the season I take off the dead vines and put it against the barn out of the way.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Are you needing shade in early spring time? If not cucumbers on trellises make real good shade in the hot summer time. I use cattle panels.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to talk with my friend about hog panels. I'm not sure how picky he is about looks (city people :rolleyes:!)

Cukes might be a good idea, because it is in the summer that we need some shade for the salad greens, not in the spring. Maybe I could do the sugar peas first, then put in cukes after. I've never had the luxury of growing cucumbers, living in a hole int eh forest as I do...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I am going to put some chicken or rabbit fencing on an old swing set frame this year for my cucumbers....is this the kind of idea that might work?

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
I'm turning my kids old swing set into a small green house to get my seeds started in.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
in the city I found a bunch of old baby cribs out on the curb - took them apart and used the side panels (rails) as trellis. Looked rather artsy fartsy, was FREE, worked great, and I got lots of compliments from the neighbors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts