Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it crazy to think of making one with pallets?

I am trying to keep cost down....you know how pricey lumber is these days

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I had a guy in town make a garden shed using pallet wood, not the whole pallets themselves. I was skeptical, but said if he could make it look presentable I’d sign off on his permit. He did a good job. All scrap wood.

·
Registered
955 Posts
This shed is made from rough sawn lumber .
The lumber is about . 60c a board foot if I had to buy it , so this shed would cost about
650 bucks plus roofing hinges , and I used 8 treated posts That are sitting on rock ledge 2’ in the ground .
It took 2 days to build it plus some digging time .
I think it would be a pain to make a shed out of pallets , even big pallets.
pallets that final siding comes on are nice the are 48 wide x12long all oak .
But if your time is worth nothing it could work out for you
Property Sky Wood Tree Land lot
Nature Snow Natural landscape Wood Tree

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
shed made of wood or shed made to hold fire wood

if they answer is shed to hold firewood

I like bays 4 bays each bay should hold 1 years wood this way you have the one your filling , the one your using , and the one that is seasoning. the 4th bay is to hold your equipment and some kindling.

for dividing walls 2x4 walls 8 inches on center works very well crazy strong lots of air flow and the wood can lean on it well as well as minimal amount of wood needed to build the walls to keep the cost down.

if you can facing south roof slanted north

·
Registered
955 Posts
No need for 4 years worth , my wood shelter is open on the ends .
I fill it up and take wood from one end , the next year I fill it up and take wood from the other end .
I allways have a couple months of wood left in the shed To start the next year off
I usually have 30 cord stacked in a pile ready to go .
I like to get it in the shed by June and it burns good but February .

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, a shed to store fire wood.
great ideas I never would have thought of with the bays or the two open ends....

Ultimately it's DH's project, but I am going to chime in these thoughts.
I appreciate you guys for answering me.

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
4 bays not 4 years
the year your on, next year and the year your filling so that you don't ever have to wait for it to be empty to fill

and that extra year of wood is the insurance year , break your leg, get sick and get laid up during cutting season and you don't have to scramble to try and fill the shed

I have a 2 bay shed and a pile around back and it works but it often means handling the wood an extra time

if your dreaming go 4 bays , then let your budget drag you back to 3. this years wood , next years wood and a place to store your equipment like the splitter

if you keep your bays 8-9 feet wide you can run 2x4 perlins just like in a pole barn roof to put the steel on

·
Registered
955 Posts
yes, a shed to store fire wood.
great ideas I never would have thought of with the bays or the two open ends....

Ultimately it's DH's project, but I am going to chime in these thoughts.
I appreciate you guys for answering me.
At home here I just have a load of gravel on the ground with 10‘ wide pallets on the bottom .
1 have 1” electrical conduit 2 10‘ Pieces together to make a hoop.
The hoops are 24” apart with 1x4 running front to back and zip tied on .
A silver lined tarp 12x 16 that covers every thing .
this is 6 years old and need to be redone but it dident cost much,I’ll look for a pic

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
At home here I just have a load of gravel on the ground with 10‘ wide pallets on the bottom .
1 have 1” electrical conduit 2 10‘ Pieces together to make a hoop.
The hoops are 24” apart with 1x4 running front to back and zip tied on .
A silver lined tarp 12x 16 that covers every thing .
this is 6 years old and need to be redone but it dident cost much,I’ll look for a pic
I helped build a hoop shed last year, it is made from stock panels sitting against t-posts. The panels don't sit flush with the ground, they are raised a little bit for extra headspace. 8ft by 8ft, about 10ft high in the center with oiled canvas covering. It holds firewood well, only modification we did was to enclose the bottom part so wood would stack well. Cheap and quick woodshed. Was easy to do and I would definitely do it again

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
Is it crazy to think of making one with pallets?

I am trying to keep cost down....you know how pricey lumber is these days
Not crazy at all. The first chicken coop I built was with pallets and old barn tin.
It was 8'x8'x8'.
I made sure every pallet was 48" (not all are). I screwed them together, pitched the roof just slightly for runoff using 2x4s, hung and old piece of T111 for a door and bam, done!
It took longer to paint than build.
I had 16 pallets total which I got from the local Rural King (free) and various other places.
I still build shelters on our property out back using pallets on the lower half and cattle panels and tarps on the upper half. Cheap, quick and easy.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, pallets can be used!. DW has come up with a projects and a"goal" to use what we have. We have made shelters using pallets,and scrap lumber I had. I did choose to buy metal roofing,but I found the roofing on marketplace or C/L, so not brand new. I like a lean to shed where I can use existing structure for one wall. I have made freestanding sheds as well.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
one thing that is great that I just remembered is we (he) already have some metal left over from siding the barn. Maybe he will use that for the roof.
Love the idea of a bay for the splinter, he will probably like that too as it is taking up space in the barn.

I am finding some pallet shed plans online.
Thanks again fellow wood burners!

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
There are a bunch of great ideas here. Would anyone be willing to post pictures of their "good enough" woodsheds?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
This shed is made from rough sawn lumber .
The lumber is about . 60c a board foot if I had to buy it , so this shed would cost about
650 bucks plus roofing hinges , and I used 8 treated posts That are sitting on rock ledge 2’ in the ground .
It took 2 days to build it plus some digging time .
I think it would be a pain to make a shed out of pallets , even big pallets.
pallets that final siding comes on are nice the are 48 wide x12long all oak .
But if your time is worth nothing it could work out for you
View attachment 104514 View attachment 104515
I really like what you built!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I helped build a hoop shed last year, it is made from stock panels sitting against t-posts. The panels don't sit flush with the ground, they are raised a little bit for extra headspace. 8ft by 8ft, about 10ft high in the center with oiled canvas covering. It holds firewood well, only modification we did was to enclose the bottom part so wood would stack well. Cheap and quick woodshed. Was easy to do and I would definitely do it again
Hay I’d like to see a pic

·
Expect the unexpected
2,315 Posts
We have a outside wood boiler furnace. Our only source of heat for the house.
Hubby build a shed on the end where the door is. It has 2 big doors to fill from
the driveway side. We use one half of it for a winter. The end closest to the furnace
door which is accessed by a human door on that end. Rectangle building.
Has wood sides. But after my metal siding deal, the roof now is metal and the sides.
Also the little add on, that joins the shed over the furnace door.
Sky Snow Slope Asphalt Building

wood shed on the right.
Nothing fancy here. We built the garage and all our additions ourselves.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts