What's your favorite window box plant and why?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by thefarm, Jul 5, 2004.

1. thefarm

thefarm Well-Known Member

Was wondering what is your favorite window box plant and why? Because I had so many different request for next year.. As we have a greenhouse would like to hear from you... Brenda

2. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

My favorite three: Lobelia (it isn't a window box without this!); impatiens;
    geraniums (only if you're doing good size deep boxes -- the first two flowers do well even in shallow window boxes). Oh and how could I forget violas/pansies and petunias?!

Now in the spring, nothing is more gorgeous than dwarf tulips mixed with violas or violets.

Window boxes make a house a home, in my opinion. Good luck on next year's crop!

3. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

When I plant window boxes and pots I like to use bright colors. Things that don't necessarily go with the colors in the flower beds. Geraniums are a favorite with me, bright red ones and the salmon colored ones especially. I usually fill those out with bacopa and the little swan river daises. Also lewisia (sp?), million bells petunias and those purple potato vines are nice too. At the moment I have two planters full of cosmos, they look great.

4. thefarm

jassytoo what color bacopa do you like? Also I have never heard of little swan river daises or Lewisia sp? what are they and what colors do they come in? on the potato vine is that the tri color one? Thanks Brenda

5. thefarm

Becky W what color of lobelia do you like? Brenda]

6. LOL, my preferences are a little more practical. I like herbs such as basil (useful in the kitchen plus keeps flies and mosquitoes away), tansy (can be used in kitchen plus keeps ants, flies, and other insects away), and other practical plants. Then again I don’t grow anything I don’t have a use for. I enjoy fresh air and the sent of herbs so keeping the windows open is good. Why not keep the bugs out when the windows are open.

7. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the above. This year I did bush morning glories in buckets with blue lobelia, purple and yellow petunias and a yellow cosomo.
    I really recommend the bush morning glories. They are called royal ensign blue with a bright yellow and white throat. They are amazing- they really fill up the pots and bloom like crazy. The ladies in the neighborhood love them.
    I also did borage this year. Beautiful plant with blue flowers (edible). They can do a large container/window box. The grow really tall. I gave one to mom for mother's day- and the ladies her her neighborhood love them.
    All were very easy to start from seed.

8. jenny1

jenny1 New Member

I like to mix up my window baskets-I've planted new guinea impatients with trailing petunias, and the effect was really great.

9. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We like thyme in the garden. Not sure about using dill but we do like the smell. Would minature roses work? How about daffodils in the spring.

10. thefarm

11. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Heavily scented things. My fave is Freesias.

12. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

I got my royal ensigns from either parks or jungs. The flowers sit up high on the plant, so I don't think they would work for hanging baskets.

I like the tuberous begonias for hanging baskets (also edible flowers). if you could find a bulk source for the tubers you might be able to make a profit on them. Great color for a north or shady spot.

13. jassytoo

Brenda, the Bacopa color I use is mostly white although I have had the pale blue before. Very pretty. Swan river daisies are properly called Brachycome. They have ferny foliage and hang well over the edges of baskets. They come in blue,mauve, pink and yellow.Lewisia is a favorite of mine, I love the flowers. Its like a succulent with leathery leaves. It proper name is Bitter Root. Lovely colors of pink, white, apricot, red and a red-orange shade.Another favorite is Linaria maroccana ( baby snapdragon or toad flax) Comes in a nice variety of colors ( gold,apricot, cream, pink and mauve). Even though it is considered an annual I have overwintered plants in Zone 8 without any problem.

14. jassytoo

Sorry, forgot about the potato vine question. I have not seen the tri-colored vine. I have purple and a nice lime green color.

15. thefarm

16. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I like cascading petunias, red, white and blue lobelia in my sunny window box.
    In the shady one (it gets about 4-5 hours a day, I like coleus, caladiums, fuschia (sp?) and new guinea impatiens.
    This was the first year I also stuck some "persian shields" in both boxes. What amazing plants!! I think they are more intense in the sun, but both are pretty.

17. thefarm

[/COLOR]
    [That sounds great... I really like the window box combo I think I will try that in hanging baskets next year.. Also I see you like chocolate so do I .... Got any favorites chocolate recipes you would like to share... If you send me an email... thanks Brenda

18. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I'm a great cook, but a lousy baker :( I leave the chocolate creations to those who excel at them. However, a local restaurant has this decadent 7 layer chocolate cake.....every once in a blue moon, we take it to go, mound some Friendly's Forbidden chocolate icecream on it and top with Herrelli's hot fudge sauce. It HAS to be Herrellis....this is the only stuff you will find in the icecream topping isle made from only cream, milk, butter, cocoa powder and chocolate liquor. It's an obnoxious $7.50 for a 10 ounce jar.....and worth every penny.
    Sigh. I need some NOW!!!! :D

19. jassytoo

Brenda, there are quite a few different Linaria plants.Linaria maroccana ( baby snap dragon) is the type that is perfect for containers. Thay are available at all of the nurseries I go to, probably are in your area too. If I were you I'd go check out a few and see what plants they have. Give you some ideas on what will work and what people are buying.

20. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

trailing vincas...they can take MO. heat and humidity and just keep blooming. Don't care if they are in full sun or a bit of shade. Petunias always get raggedy and everyone grows impatiens....we've turned lots of neighbors onto vincas which bloom way into the fall even when you neglect them. Good thing as we have ferns hanging over our window boxes and a very territorial wren has a nest in one!!! MUTTI