Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could only grow one type of green, what would it be? Is there one variety that is good cooked and also raw in salads and such?

G

·
Spinach is the only cooked green I actually LIKE the taste of. And the young leaves are delicious raw in salads.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
SWISS CHARD!!!! Especially the Lucullus!
I love it raw.
I love it cooked.
In pizza, soups, my eggs in the morning with red peppers and red onions, on burgers. It is my favorite green in the world.. ever!
I will never grow anything but the Lucullus again! At least overwinter. I planted it last summer and it did well through 100+ heat. It grew all winter even after night after night of low teens. It grew all summer, but with no one here to pick it and keep the pill bugs off it was looking poorly by the time I got home in Aug. Stupid me.. I pulled it up. I shouldn't have. I should have just trimmed it up. The 'trunks' were as thick as my arm and the leaves just as sweet and tender as the first ones.
I planted some Rainbow Lights.. but they croaked in the first cold snap and now I am chardless. Oh, the horror!!!

I am also very partial to stinging nettles, but I wouldn't suggest that off the top of my head. It is an odd crop to ahve in one's garden though I have quite a big patch of pampered nettles:) I eat that raw too and in soups and on pizza and burgers too.

·
on furlough-downsized
1,516 Posts
Swiss Chard...... tiny new leaves for salads, big ones for cooking.

ETA I'll try Lucillus this year, If I can find some seed.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Spinach, hands down!

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
only one????

I would have to go with spinach, but I love turnips, collards, kale
really any green

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Do you mean leafy greens?
I like chard, kale, spinach, turnip, beet greens, sorrell, vitagreens, salad greens like red leaf lettuce, romain... I like cabbages of all kind including brussels sprouts. I like dandelion greens.
I was not raised eating greens. In fact, the first time I ever ate them, was the first year I was in a winter CSA 3 or 4 years ago. I had to learn what to do with them, but I have to tell you, I feel SO much better in the winter when we eat a lot of greens. I think without the sunshine, a person NEEDS all those vitamins, and there is a ton of iron in them too.

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I guess if I could only grow ONE, it would be spinach! I love it instead of lettuce, I like it cooked and I love it in soups and stews. QB

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Swiss Chard.

Makes soups and stews fantastic as well. Lucullus is our favorite too. Otherwise, Fordhook - and is it ever easy to grow, all season and well past the first frost.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
It would be really hard to choose between spinach, beet greens and chard. Spinach would probably win if I could only have one but just barely. I'm glad I don't have to choose just one.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Swiss chard. You can keep picking the outside leaves off each clump for a long time. I'd say beet greens, but if you are growing beets for the roots, you have the greens anyway, without specially planting them.

Amaranth is good, too.

Kathleen

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Spinach or silverbeet - can be boiled, steamed (and served in a thousand different ways), fried (great in stirfries), in pies, omelettes, quiches, spanakopita-type things......AND is delicious raw. A terrific all-rounder.

Cabbage is another goodie - can be cooked in many ways, and is great raw as well.

An alternative to both is any of the Asian greens - mizuna, bok choy and the like. The best thing about these is that they are very fast growers.

Don't forget that peas are just as good raw as cooked - and you can eat the leaves as well. Pea shoots are very yum, and great in a salad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would have to go with turnips because then I have both the root and te green which I like very much raw or cooked. Good question though. Very tough choice because I also love spinach, kale, collard, cabbage, and well pretty much any green gets my vote especially if its cooked with hotter spices.

·
Banned
7,802 Posts
I'd go for sweet collards as it grows year round as an evergreen perennial here and it's very tender and delicious. Just keeps getting taller and taller and in late winter we cut the top 6 feet off, leave 2 feet behind and it starts all over again for the following year. Here's what they looked like at 8 - 9 feet tall 3 weeks ago before it started snowing.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Swiss Chard for sure. In the same space a one or two spinach plants you get one forever, or at least until a hard freeze, chard plant. It only get tastier as time goes by. Best bang for your buck also. When you pick a handful of leaves it makes a whole meal. I sell it and it gets the top money maker award also.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts