what's your favorite garden tool?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by InHisName, Nov 11, 2006.

1. InHisName

InHisName Well-Known Member Supporter

For Christmas I get to pick out one nice homestead tool- within reason, of course, and saw a Glaser wheel hoe from Peaceful Valley. We have a rear tine Snapper rototiller, but it is too big for me to operate, hubby does that- need something a woman can use. Any suggestions? What tool do you love? thanks, Teri

2. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the wheel hoe is so don't know how much $ you're looing at but I love my 2-cycle tiller. Just like the mantis but mine came from Sears it was a return so I got a better buy on it but it's the BEST!! I have a rear tine troy bilt i use for the big jobs but that little one has more uses. If you really want it to dig like in sod you pull it toward you instead of following it. You'll be amazed at how deep & good it can dig. Very easy to start also.

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

my husband :D seriously though, I love my mantis! I can take it anywhere and for a tiny thing it has some balls! we've even plwed through new ground with it.

4. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

I've got raised beds, so don't need a rotatiller, or cultivator. I actually donated my rotatiller to the local inspirational community garden thingy in town a month or so ago. My favorite gardening tool has always been my sharp shooter! You know, shovel type thing, just long and skinny, sharp on the end. Love it!

Woodsmokeinherhair!

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

a good trowel. :)

i've got raised beds too. besides a good shoveling in the spring, that's all the tool i need.

6. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I have a hay type pitch fork, I use for every thing, including digging my passive raised beds.

7. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

My Mantis tiller and a small shovel the size for a kid but on a regular handle.i found a hoe that was shaped like a triangle and I love it for making rows. I had my neighbor to cut a regular hoe into that shape for my second one.

8. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Well, if we're counting power tools, I vote the Mantis. As for hand tools, it's got to be the stirrup hoe. We have one that is probably 50 years old, and is called the "hula hoe" probably becuase the stirrup wiggles slightly. I've never found any other hoe that works with so little effort!

9. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Not in the same league as the other replies so far, but my favourite garden tool cost me a massive $3.50! It's a child-sized garden rake, the kind with long tines. It's just perfect for picking up and spreading mulch onto my little garden. It wouldn't be really useful for someone with a larger garden, but for me, it's perfect.

My dream is to be able to afford a really decent set of secateurs, with easy action for someone with muscular problems. Preferably one which stays sharp for longer than 5 minutes!

10. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

I have two. one is an old 5 tine draw type cultivator(hand tool). it makes about a 10" cut when used right and flipps all the stones to the surface. the other is my Corn fork or silage fork to some of you. I have had it for 20 years now and its one of the best for everything around here.

11. ginsengsally

ginsengsally Well-Known Member

The wheel hoe is a nice tool. It's basically a stirup hoe (or hula hoe) but with a wheel in front and a set of handles. You can have 3 going at one time for wider areas. I say go for that if you get to choose one thing. Any old garden hoe you can pick up for a couple bucks at your local hardware store but if you get to choose one thing for christmas, go for it!

12. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

tie between bowsaw and pitchfork- both make the jobs such a pleasure; wish I knew how to hoe and dig properly (maybe I need to sharpen mine!) so that there were a hoe or spade/shovel that made that work just as joyful.

13. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I have several garden tools the are considered favorite.
    But doing alot of drip irrigation required me to be home until I purchased an electric (battery powered) watering timer. The timer turns the water on and off automatically.....so we can go on a 2 week vacation and come home to perfectly watered plants. The timer is my favorite favorite. :p

14. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

When I did a big "row" garden it was my Troybuild "pony". But now that I do square foot gardening, I use a little hand held garden fork.

15. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Leaf rake, pitchfork, and wheelbarrow. I'm a mulch gardener and they are an indispensable part of my operation.

.....Alan.

16. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

Oddly enough, a claw hammer. It makes great rows, awesome for ripping weeds, pulling dandelion roots, and breaking through big clods. It digs small holes very well too!

17. northstarpermie

northstarpermie Well-Known Member

My hands are the best tools I have, but a shovel, a good 3 thong claw, & a wheelbarrow help me out as well.

18. marcir

marcir Well-Known Member

I garden sitting down and my choice tool is a hand pick, the size of a geologist's pick. The flat side takes out bunched weeds and hummocks of grass with a single blow and the pointed side targets single weeds, makes rows, and digs planting holes.
    Here's to getting dirty!

19. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

te he! te he! te he! ... I forgot about those *tools!* lol I have a couple myself!

20. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What is known as a scuffle hoe locally, a triangle of sharpened steel, 10 inches between long points and 5 inches between the short point and the flat back. On a 6 1/2 foot handle at about 25 degrees. 3 sides sharpened, it works both directions with ease.