Whats your cure-all? Or Old Wives tail thats true?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TxCloverAngel, Jun 19, 2006.

1. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

It often seems that "country folk" seem to have very strong beliefs in certain products or concoctions to "fix" many things...

Hubby....
    If it bites/stings you... pee on it or use the good ole spit-n-tobacco compress.

If its not clean.. ANYTHING! it must be Scrubbing Bubbles... never ever run out or he'll have a fit! lol

Now, my Grandfather.. he put Listerine (the old yucky kind) on anything!! Listerine will fix it right up! lol

Don't get me started on Grandma and her caster oil.. I've had it poured in my ear, floated on Orange Juice, rubbed on Sunburn you name it!

How bout you and yours? and tried and true cure-alls or fix-it's?

2. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Water! Fixes everything. My scouts come up crying about an owie or bug bite, they know what the first words out of my mouth will be! "Drink some water, honey" Waits for them to finish an appropraite amount for thier size. "Okay, now what's wrong". Heck half the time by the've finished all their water they've forgotten what they came up for. :D

Other than that, I use aloe for most everything. Bug bite, burn, owie, dandruff, all kinds of fun uses!

Castor oil only goes in my facial oils! (I use OCM to clean my face) I get painful zits sometimes otherwise.

3. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Oh, this is a subject I could talk about for hours! I'll try to limit myself here... LOL

slippery elm bark. I use it for tons of things. I made a poltice and put it on DH's tummy when he was gored by a mean ol' cow one time. It would have worked real good if the poltice had been big enough, the next morning when the poltice came off, there was pretty pink skin under it with a black spot in the middle the size of the horn, and 4 half moon shaped bruises all around the outside where the poltice was too small!

egg skins for splinters

mud on a bee sting

a tsp of honey before bed prevents bedwetting.

epsom salts soak for cuts. if the cut ended up infected then charcoal was used

aspirin and acetone for chicken pox or shingles. Not taking the aspirin, grinding it up and mixing it with the acetone, then dabbing it on the sores.

iodine. dad thought iodine was the cureall for any and all cuts and scrapes. I once stepped on a rusty nail; it went all the way through my foot and out the top. He dipped a thick piece of string in iodine and tied it to the nail, pulled the nail out and pulled the string through my foot... OUCH!!!

I had never been to a doctor in my life until I got married.

It's late, I'm tired. Will check back tomorrow to see what others have posted.

edited to add:

mix 1/3 apple cider vinegar with 2/3 hot water. Gargle with it to cure laryngitis.

keep a freshly cut onion on a windowsill to prevent colds and flu

to get rid of a wart, sell it to someone

another way to get rid of a wart - stand in the middle of a dirt road at midnight, spin around in a circle 3 times while peeing in the road. (sounds dumb, but it works!)

smoke for a ear ache

honey for eye infections

4. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

My parents swore that Ungentine, Campho Phenique or Neosporin would fix almost anything. Oh, and Vicks.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Hot tea with honey and lemon. Any sort of sickness - stuffy head, cough, stomach ache, you name it - would get you a big mug of hot tea with fresh lemon slices and honey. You know what? I does make things feel better.

Blu Kote was the all purpose skin treatment. Bad cut? Ring worm? Funky rash? Blu Kote is what my grandparents and parents reached for.

6. praise4him

praise4him Well-Known Member

dillute about half and half in a bowl and apply to sunburn with a washcloth. Do not rinse! I learned this when I worked in a tanning salon and It works every single time. It will neutralize the burn and help it heal much faster. Plus it helps take away the pain!
    Blessings,
    Jennifer

7. Dixielee

Dixielee Well-Known Member

I stepped on a splinter yesterday and it still hurts and I can't see or feel it. I went to the store tonight, bought a big box of Epson Salts and have my foot soaking in hot water and the salts now. My grandmother would be proud.

If we had a cough as a kid, my dad, who was not a drinker but kept a bottle of whisky for this purpose.....would fill a tablespoon full of sugar and soak it with whisky and we had to take it. I don't know if it really worked, or we were just too afraid to cough again!

My grandmother put this black paste called ictheal (or something like that) on any kind of wound. She said it would draw out the poisons and let it heal.

My mother was a firm believer in the tobacco and spit for an insect bite. It did seem to work.

My husband gives our animals chewing tobacco and swears it kills parasites, and the goats love it.

And of course the most important one is a cure for warts....you steal a piece of clothing off your neighbors line and hide it under your bed. Never tried that, but sure heard about it!

8. lilmommajnn

lilmommajnn Well-Known Member

Aloe or tea tree oil....between the two of them, there's not much you can't take care of!

9. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

Homemade chicken soup for the cold/flu symptoms. I keep some in a container in the freezer. I add a LOT , A LOT, of salt, pepper, tobasco,garlic, & onion to mine. No kissing while on this remedy !!

10. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

Sorry, did you mean half and half with water? I could have used that remedy a couple weeks ago for someone! For burns, we usually used that Noxema cream but does it stink! Not sure if it really works either, but you thought it did, so you felt better.

Plain old salt mixed into warm water for sinus problems. I went to the doctor so many times for help, I was soooo stuffed up, then came across the saline remedy. I haven't had many episodes and those that I do have, clear up within days (instead of weeks or months).

Green tea (preferably with ginseng) to cut down on food cravings. Don't put more than 1/8 tsp of sugar in it. If you're not into making your own, the Tetley version (with ginseng/lemon) is very good.

Ahhh, sure there are more, just can't think of them right now.

11. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

....'Old Wives tail thats true'......(giggle) umm, I think you mean 'tale'. Just playing with you Dana. Hope you survived the rains yesterday.

Seriously, back to topic; chicken soup is my answer. For everything from head colds to upset tummies, it works every time.

12. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

jewell weed for poison ivy.

13. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Jagermeister for just about anything.

14. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my elderly clients swears by Preparation H. He uses it for any problem with his skin. I have heard that it works to reduce wrinkles too but have never tried it myself.

Sherry in GA

15. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

lol oh my ! fixed it....
    yup we survived the rains.. but got over 11" in less than 24hrs! wow careful whatcha wish for.

16. BertaBurtonLake

BertaBurtonLake Well-Known Member

plantain for insect stings

aloe for burns

cold strong tea compresses for sunburn

ginger or peppermint teaa for nausea

feverfew for headaches

valerian for insomnia, nervousness, or panic attacks

joe pye weed for kidney stones

17. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

My father did some work for a company that made the active ingredient for Preparation H. Apparently it's very popular among movie stars as wrinkle cream. Either it really works or Hollywood actors are just all @$$#0!3$

:)

Good joke, but apparently it really works.

18. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

Salt water gargle for sore throats.

Tobacco juice for insect bites, also makes a decent insect repellant in a pinch.

Aloe for burns.

baking soda for an upset stomach.

peeing on your toes for athletes foot.

19. moodcouple

moodcouple Well-Known Member

About that tobacco juice - does it have to be chewed or can you put in on right out of the pouch? Also, does snuff work the same way?

Can't think of any of my mother's 'cures' that actually worked (she was also a pretty bad cook). But whenever any of us kids got too sick to go to school Dad would make us eat white bread soaked in warm milk. As we all thought it was yucky, we seldom got sick.

20. greenhart

greenhart Well-Known Member

Sour kraut brine for hangovers ( I learned that in another lifetime) it also works for other upset stomach problems.
    A little honey and apple cider vinagar in water when overheated to keep from getting sick from over drinking water. I think it's better than that stuff they sell as a sport drink.