What's your cookstove?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Timberline, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Timberline

Timberline Keeper of the Cow

I love antique cookstoves and like to learn about them, so thought it might be fun to share pics. Mine is the Fairfax Model made by The Wehrle Company in Newark, Ohio. I haven't been able to find out when it was made, but it's got a lot of miles on it. We've replaced the lids, made a new ash tray and some other repairs. I've had it about 6 years now and it works great. I do all my wintertime cooking with it. Just love it!! So what kind is yours?
    [​IMG]

2. Timberline

Hmm, boy it would sure be hard to part with. Right across from the stove, facing each other, is my antique Hoosier I bought at auction a couple years ago. It has the flour sifter, spice jars, etc., and they go perfect together, hate to break up a set!

3. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I just got a Waterford Stanley but it isn't antique...it's about 11 years old. It's being stored right now and will be part of my new, big kitchen when we add on to our cabin. I can't wait!

4. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

5. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

We just got a 67 year old Chambers stove, haven't hooked it up yet. :)

It's incredibly insulated, made for "Cooking with the gas off". Heat up the oven, put in a roast, 20-30 minutes later turn it off, and it continues to cook for hours, like a giant slow cooker.
    Has a Thermowell, you can cook up to 3 things at once in there. Also made for "cooking with the gas off". So well insulated you can make ice cream in the Thermowell while cooking in the oven! Saves alot of fuel because most of the cooking is done with the gas off.
    Has a stove-top grill and broiler.

[​IMG]

Read more about them here:
    http://www.chamberstoves.net/

I can't wait to use it!

6. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

We inherited an old Sunny Glenwood wood cook stove!!! Yipee! My dh shined the nickel and sanded all the metal and she is so pretty and warm, I will have to find a good pic and post it. It has pieces marked 1912. On the temperature gauge it has for temps. Bisquits . Sponge Cake . Plain Cake . Roast, so quaint, I use the stove top but have only cooked covered things like baked beans in the oven. I will get brave one of these days and venture a roast or something.

7. Timberline

Thanks for the Chambers link. Sounds great for my "modern" kitchen. Good looking stove, too.

8. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

[​IMG]

1917 Genesee wood/coal/gas from Summit Foundry in Geneva, NY

9. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

The wringer flips back like the older ones, and the dasher actuation handle is a lever that comes out from the bottom and comes up a ft or so. I also have a 1924 Detroit Jewel side oven, gas. It has a knob on the side of the oven that has listed the degrees and what will cook at that degree, so you either set it by the degrees you know you want to cook a cassarole at, or just hunt up cassarole on the knob. I also have a 1936 wood range, cream color with back plate and 2 drawers high up on it. It has a dial on the oven door that says low, med high hot. It is a 6 holer with water resivour. One of the plates on one of the holes is recessed, and on top of it, fitted in and removable is a plate that is cast and looks like a checkerboard. Written around the rim of the plate is this RAISE REGISTER AND CERIALS WILL NEVER BURN, whatever that means. The name of it is in the back on a plate and im too lazy to climb back there to find it. I also have 2 hoosier cabinets. both wood, one with the flour sifter in it, and a tin lined door for bread. Its 2 doors slide open from side to side. The other is, I thjnk , older as it has no flour sifter, but it has a small mirror in the middle of it. Its door slides down from the top.

10. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

We have an old Monogram, but I can't find a picture to post. :( I believe it was made in the 1920's or 30's. We adore it.

11. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

A 1937 Magic Chef gas stove (don't have a camera to make a photo to post). It's the kind with the rectangular metal plate-shaped burner grates, and has the regular oven as well as a triangular shaped swing out roasting oven, and a storage drawer below that. It has a short back on it with a clock in it, but the clock didn't work so I removed the back, and have it stored. It looks really nice with the vent pipe going up, which I enameled white.

I too have a Maytag, only it's a 1951 model, I think. I've used it a few times but it leaks, needs a gasket. I want to get it set up to use regularly, though.

12. Timberline

"One of the plates on one of the holes is recessed, and on top of it, fitted in and removable is a plate that is cast and looks like a checkerboard. Written around the rim of the plate is this RAISE REGISTER AND CERIALS WILL NEVER BURN, whatever that means."

Mine has one of these,also, and I love it. It really does keep food from burning to the pot.

13. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Sure brings back memories!!! I had one like that, bought for $50 and another just a bit newer with a florescent light my x bought for $45 in the 80's. Let 'em both get away from me and I sure do miss them! Does it still have the door seal at the bottom of the oven door to seal over the pilot lighting hole? Makes a difference on how long it'll hold heat. You're going to enjoy this stove!

This is like the second one we had, but it was white.

[​IMG]

There's a yellow one sitting out side by a house down the road, will have to check to see if it's rebuildable.

Another one that got away from me was a woodburning range. An old Home Comfort that still had the original owners manual with it from the 20's. Perfect condition and I really enjoyed cooking on it. No better roasts and bread. Came from a guy near Centralia, KS who's grandmother cooked on it up until the time she had to go to a nursing home.

Now we're cooking on an apartment size electric. Awful! Just wait until the new great room/kitchen is built on, that's gonna change. . . .

14. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Chalk Creek,

That stone work is to die for! I love it.

The "brand" is a very nice touch as well.

15. Timberline

Thanks, Rockin B. It was my first big indoor rock project, I have done quite a bit outside. I used cultured stone and it was a dream to work with. I used a small chisel to put my brand on the stone. My hubby was quite proud of me (did it all myself!). I can post a picture of the whole wall if you'd like to see it.
    Thanks again!

16. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

17. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

[​IMG]

Mine is a Waterford Stanley. I love it.

veme

18. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

I sure would like to see it all.

We just built some half walls for a stove enclosure and I about gagged at the cost of cultured stone. I tiled the walls and used a natural quartzite stone for the flooring of the stove area.

Your work is very nice. Congrats.

19. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Mine is a old gas Stewart, converted from NG to propane;
    [​IMG]