Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized ours is 1:2! We have 3 bucks and 6 does. Of course, we do have one buckling, one doeling, and one ewe who don't count because kids we're going to sell and sheep aren't going to be bred to our bucks (although we'll probably sell our non-keeper doe preggo to one of our bucks.) What about you? Do you have too many bucks? Too few? Just right? I'm curious! :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
2:3 Having 2 bucks is great, they're buddies and I can keep a closed herd without worrying about inbreeding, since I'm hoping to expand the herd with a couple of daughters. I intend to keep my boys to a ripe old age, I'm very pleased with them for my purposes: dependable unregistered home milkers.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm super curious about this, because seriously, I want my own buck. I am filled with dread re: driving all over creation with lovesick goats in the back of my van. But if you have one you might as well have two, because he needs a friend.

We're borrowing the neighbor's meat buck to use on the Saanen girls for this year. We will see what it's like to live with one before making any decisions.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I wouldn't be without my own buck. Disease and the bother of driving everwhere. And my boys are great. :D Calix, my Sr buck, is the sweetest thing on 4 legs. Sadly, he'll probably have to be sold after this breeding season as he just won't have any more work to do here.

I have 4 breeding does max at any time, and currently 2 bucks. Not including 3 bucks in my AI tank. :p I like two bucks because I'd have to feed a companion anyways, might as well be one that I can use to breed as well. :)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Two is perfect IMO. They keep each other company for all those long months when they are "off." Also, no one else understands them like another buck! Unless you have a really big herd of does or some show concerns, two should be good.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
We have 7 does'(counting 2 doelings retained from this spring) & 3 bucks(1 is a yung buckling purchased this summer that was born in the spring) & 2 wethers.

I'd say we are a little buck heavy at the moment but I will say I have a lot of choices for pairings for this fall's breedings.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
Four bucks, `3 does. Three bucks are currently working here, and the fourth is working at another (CAE free) farm. I like having several bucks to choose from for breeding, and I *like* my bucks' line - all nice, gentle boys.

Reactions: BackfourtyMI.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have 1 buck 35 does he keeps them all bred fine. its a rare occasion one doesnt take he wears a marker and i keep good records only had one doe he wasnt interested in ever i think perhaps she wasnt coming into estrus. sold her ill keep him for now hes on the big side for mounting young ones but he has manners and i just let them get a little bigger before i put them into the breeding pen. i payed handsome for him but he is by far my best investment i made in my herd. hes produced close to 200 kids so far and havent had him very long. i think 10 months iirc best part is he is totally a lover to them girls i have amazing twin/triplet to single kid ratios and i think its just him macking on them

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have 3 bucks (still trying to get rid of one- he's free to HT'ers! :drum: MiniMancha)

And 4 keeper does now- an additional 6 -returning to a friends farm-are bred to my boys, all those offspring will be mine and I'll cherry pick the girls and sell all the boys. I'm going to try to keep it under 8 does, and two bucks.

Regarding the free one- herd tested neg for CAE/Johnes, never any CL. Registered if you want

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have two bucks and 4 does. I used them both but will be breeding one exclusively to my foundation does and the other to the keepers. I am still in the market for an exceptional buck to close my herd. I plan to purchase 1-2 doelings this year and one buckling. Then I should be able to close the herd and learn AI.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts