What's Wrong with this buck?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by minnikin1, Dec 18, 2006.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

One of my germanX angora bucks is sick and I can't put my finger on what his problem is.

He went off his pellets around Friday - and I started treating him for wool block- gave petromalt, and pulled the pellets.
    He passed some lumpy feces and I thought we were in the clear.

But now I notice 2 more symptoms and he's not perking up much -
    there is white discharge from his nose and eyes (I can hear it when he breathes. No sneezing or coughing, though)

And he seems to have trouble getting up if he lays on one side. He moves around, albeit slowly, once I help him up again.

He has an appetite, but it's not voracious. He's just picking. (although not for the pellets which I had put back in with him last night)

Any ideas? (This is a house bunny who lives in an environmentally controlled area)
    Thanks.

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd say a really bad allergy or else pneumonia or bronchitis, something like that. The weakness seems like pneumonia to me, though. I would get him on an antibiotic asap.

Jennifer

3. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I thought bunnies couldn't have antibiotic...
    What do you give?

4. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

When I need antibiotics I go buy the tetracycline fish capsules, put half the capsule in a quarter cup of grape juice and give it to the rabbit once a day. Rabbits cannot tolerate any of the Cillin or Mycin antibiotics, but the Cycline drugs are fine. I would also continue to treat him for woolblock, get some colace(stool softener) from the pharmacy and give him that. Sorry your bun is so sick. This link is really helpful for woolblock.

http://www.lopsandcavies.com/woolblock_fur_block.htm

5. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Kind of sounds like woolblock and snuffles? Poor fuzz bunn. :(

Can you get him interested in hay or oats? Keeping him eating will help him pull through this. How do the stools look? Is he passing poop ok, or does he still look wool bound?

Yes, a lot of antibiotics aren't safe for rabbits, but some like Baytril are. Baytril is becoming a popular treatment for snuffles and other bacterial infections, but it has to be prescribed by a vet.

good luck with the bunn...

7. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Thank you for all the advice and those links were both great...

So far he is hanging in there but not getting back to himself quite yet.

I looked for the fish capsules and could not find what you were talking about...
    do you have a brand name? I'd like to know for next time. (I found tablets but not capsules. The capsules sound easier to use)

Thank you all so much...