Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started happening several days ago. It's very weird and I never heard of this problem before.

When I type something out (forum post or document or whatever), then go back and proof-read it, I find a lot of words are missing vowels. Any or all the vowels, and ONLY the vowels. So I have to type them back into the words where they are missing.

I've had to be extra careful about proofreading for several days now. I hate to edit a post to put the vowels back into the words.

It's not happening when I c/p.

The keys are not sticky. This doesn't make any sense. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
In ordr to sav mney, Chuck has gon to a keystrk metrd, per wrd systm. So it is like in the oldn days of sndng telgrms. So many of thos vowls r redndnt to cmprehnsn anyway. U've obviously gon ovr ur keystrk lmt. :typomat: ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
The keys do not have to be sticky. Those keys that are used the most tend to be the first to break. They will likely specifically NOT be sticky, and you have to press them SLIGHTLY harder than the rest of your keys eventually (usually happens after two to three years of good keyboard usage). If you're a typist, you will naturally hit all the keys the same pressure, so those will not come out. It's likely you need to buy a new keyboard, but there is the possibility that some food or something got under those specific keys, in which case it might just need a good cleaning. (do not use water :p)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In ordr to sav mney, Chuck has gon to a keystrk metrd, per wrd systm. So it is like in the oldn days of sndng telgrms. So many of thos vowls r redndnt to cmprehnsn anyway. U've obviously gon ovr ur keystrk lmt. :typomat: ;)
Myb we gt metrd whn we rch 16,000 psts. Wht hppns whn I rch 20,000 psts? :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Thn u gt ratnd 4 xeedg ur keystrk crbn ftprnt & mst wrt w/o vowls in Hwn:

10 Hawaiian Vowels: 5 vowels: a e i o u [pronounced: ah eh ee oh oo] + 5 vowels with kahakô: â ê î ô û [pronounced with elongated sounds: AH EH EE OH OO]

What's a kahakô? (kaha = mark) + ( kô = elongate). It is a diacritical mark that is a horizontal line over a vowel to signify elongation of its sound. Instead of one beat of sound, give it two. In English, this mark is called the macron.

8 Hawaiian Consonants: h, k, l, m, n, p, w, ` [pronounced: heh, peh, keh, lah, moo, noo, peh, veh, `oh kee nah]

What's an `okina? (`oki = cut) + na (a suffix that makes a word a noun). It is a diacritical mark that looks like " a tiny "6" with the hole filled in." Known in English as a "glottal stop," it signifies a break in the breath, as in "oh-oh." Because `okina is recognized as a consonant, there are eight (8) consonants in the Hawaiian language

Gd lk!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I agree with trying to replace your keyboard. They wear out easy. Also, I'd like to know, does it just do that in certain applications/websites or does it do it every where?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My theory is, it's a cyber-attack by rogue elements of the Polish government, trying to recover their vowels, most of which were stolen many years ago, and have been missing ever since.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts

Someone is going to pay you a visit to find out why you're spending so much time on the computer...:p

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
LC,

Would you like to "Buy A Vowel", or spin?

RF

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
Have you tried a USB port keyboard? Your PS2 port might have gone bad.

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
Well darn! Thought for sure that would be it.

The more I think about I'm pretty sure the problem is that your keyboard is possessed. How about an exorcism??? :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
How fast do you type? lol...there are three computers where I work that I obviously type too fast for. I KNOW I hit the proper letters, but I am always missing tons of letters. It doesn't happen on any of the other computers there... go figure

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is driving me crazy!!

It's not *just* the vowels. Sometimes it's part of the consonants or other characters.
How fast do you type? lol...there are three computers where I work that I obviously type too fast for. I KNOW I hit the proper letters, but I am always missing tons of letters. It doesn't happen on any of the other computers there... go figure
I am a very slow 2 fingered typist.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It's not *just* the vowels. Sometimes it's part of the consonants or other characters.
If the problem occurs with a USB keyboard as well, that rules out a hardware problem. What's left is software -- either your operating system got tweaked somehow, or a virus of some sort (although I've never heard of a virus doing that).

·
Administrator
20,273 Posts
Any chance you're using a different font than usual? Sometimes downloaded fonts will behave like that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts