What's wrong with my toy poodle??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. My 7 year old toy poodle has been throwing up for 3 days and hasn't eaten for 3 days....when she throws up it's just clear liquid she has no appetite at all. We are all very worried about this. She ate a little hamburger but VERY little. Please help what's wrong with her! Thanks
     
  2. sheraldyne

    sheraldyne Member

    Messages:
    8
    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    She needs to be taken to the vet! NOW!!! 3 days is to long to wait. Toy poodles are to tiny to be throwing up for that long. JMHO
     

  3. MelissaW

    MelissaW Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,030
    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2003
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    She is probably getting quite dehydrated at this point, and may need to have an IV right away. I agree, get her to the vet as soon as possible. Once she is rehydrated, they can pinpoint a cause.
     
  4. Ardie/WI

    Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    15,516
    Joined:
    May 10, 2002
    Ditto what everyone else said! Poor doggy! :waa:
     
  5. CraftyDiva

    CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

    Messages:
    3,340
    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2003
    Is your dog up to date on all it's shots? Distemper seems to be rearing it's ugly head lately, doesn't take much for a dog to get it either, just being in an area an infected animal has been, is enough. I'd get to the vet and have your dog checked.

    If your indeed up to date, try giving the dog some boiled chicken and rice. It's easy on the digestive system and your vet will probably suggest feeding the dog that anyway after you find the cause of it's illness. The dog needs it's strenght to fight whatever it is. Had a dog that was poisioned and after the vet pumped his tummy out, he told me to feed him boiled rice and chicken for awhile, just to see if it will even stay down.

    There could be many reasons for the throwing up and after 3 days, I'd have the vet check it out.
     
  6. fellini123

    fellini123 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,550
    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2003
    Location:
    Central Virginia
    I ditto all the comments about taking her to the vet. These toy dogs cant take a whole lot of trama before it gets REAL serious.
    It also sounds like it might be some type of obstruction. Let us know how it works out.
    Alice in Virginia
     
  7. Jacki

    Jacki Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    136
    Joined:
    May 12, 2002
    Location:
    Oregon
    What state are you in? If you are in the PNW, and your dog got into some trout or salmon, the dog could have salmon poisoning. It is caused by a fluke, and has a very high mortality rate if not treated. The vets here all know it, and tourists or new comers to the area learn the hard way.

    Jacki
     
  8. agmantoo

    agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

    Messages:
    10,854
    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    Location:
    Zone 7
    Is anything being expelled from the other end? Sounds as if the dog has an obstruction.
     
  9. wr

    wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

    Messages:
    16,481
    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2003
    Location:
    Alberta, Canada
    I would ask you what the devil you are waiting for? If a dog is vomiting for 24 hours, you should be quite concerned and after three days, it's obviously not going to take care of itself and you are not being responsible. Any human with a pulse can pick up a phone and call a vet to ask this very question and the vet will ask questions and advise you of a proper and safe next move. Instead, you slide in here, leave us with no background on the dog and want us to make a diagnosis. My diagnosis is that if you cared about the poor little dog, you would have already done the right thing. Shame on you for leaving the poor little dog to be ill for three days.
     
  10. Sorry I Didn't Give Enough Info On The Poodle She Is A Housedog And Stays Inside All The Time. She Does Not Vomit 24hrs A Day. And Today She Ate A Little Which Is Good. She Is A Housedog Only And Is Rarely Let Outside. Her Teeth And Gums Are Fine And She Poops Ok. I Am Going To Look On Google And See What I Can Find.
     
  11. Bink

    Bink Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,476
    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2003
    Location:
    Beautiful Kentucky
    Sounds eerily like Smith again.
     
  12. wr

    wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

    Messages:
    16,481
    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2003
    Location:
    Alberta, Canada
    Bink, you are probably right.

    Unregistered, rather than google, why not call a real vet before the poor little thing dies?
     
  13. CraftyDiva

    CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

    Messages:
    3,340
    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2003
    Do a search on Google for "Common sense" see if you find any.
     
  14. bgak47

    bgak47 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    936
    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2003
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    Take the dog to the VET! While you're screwing around on the Net asking questions, your dog is sick. What is wrong with you? If you're going to have a dog it is up to you to be responsible for it. There should be a liscense for people to own pets & the test should be HARD! :(
     
  15. fin29

    fin29 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,622
    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    Maine
    Hard for whom? Idiots like this wouldn't be able to SPELL dog, let alone have a clue enough to care for one. :no:
     
  16. Shygal

    Shygal Unreality star Supporter

    Messages:
    9,894
    Joined:
    May 26, 2003
    Location:
    New York
    Yep, sounds like the typical Smith "HELP me I have a problem" and then when people give advice its "Well the problem is all gone!" :rolleyes:
     
  17. doeofthemountai

    doeofthemountai New Member

    Messages:
    1
    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    Location:
    Colorado
    You said it was an inside dog. Do you use any of the pre-bought swiffer sweeper products? I heard that the solution in them is just one step away from antifreeze and can poison dogs.
     
  18. sancraft

    sancraft Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    5,961
    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2002
    Location:
    Georgia
    doeofthemountain, I heard that Swiffer thing is just a rumor.
     
  19. FolioMark

    FolioMark In Remembrance

    Messages:
    1,436
    Joined:
    May 10, 2002
    Location:
    illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    WHEN will you folks learn to check these darn fool rumors on Snopes.com? It took me 5 secs to search it there and find out its all bunk. Heres the link:

    http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

    Granted anyone dumb enough to waste money on swiffers when they can wash the floor with plain old soap and water is prolly too dumb to take the dog to the vet as well. :rolleyes: Take the dog to the vet!!!
     
  20. Amy Jo

    Amy Jo Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    319
    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2003
    Hey, I just got a swiffer! I have 2 cats and sweeping the kitchen floor causes a flying hairball the size of a tumbleweed! Not very apetizing :no:

    Maybe they don't have the money and are desparate. And when they posted it was Monday, so perhaps the vet was closed for the weekend... or the car's broke down, or payday isn't til Friday.

    I know... we get tired of "games", but let's just try to be helpful in case the conclusion we jump to isn't quite right. :eek: