What's wrong with my bathroom?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bare, Mar 16, 2005.

1. bare

bare Head Muderator

Well, never thought I'd have to ask for advice here, but my girlfriend informs me that hillbilly chic is out. She especially seems to not like my bathtub for some reason. Undoubtedly, she is unaware of the time and effort I've made over the years to come up with something unique and pleasing to the eye. Told her I'd post a picture here and let you all decide if I should be heading for the plumbing store.

[​IMG]

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Weeelll, . . . .

I think it's time for a trip to the plumbing store. :eek: I can put up with a lot, but if that was in my house . . . . :no: I'd do something about the tub, too, if you really want to make points. Either replace it, or, if it's one of those deals where you'd have to take the house apart in order to get the tub out, then refinish it. Looks like a good sturdy old porcelain one, so maybe a new finish would make the most sense.

Kathleen

3. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

Looks well used and like it serves its purpose to me! OK maybe a good scrub and some CLR to shine it up and see what you have under the rust, then a run to the junk yard for matching knobs (if yer into matching). I like it fine.

4. TnTnTn

TnTnTn Well-Known Member

Is the 3rd tap for Miller High Life??? LOL TnTnTn

5. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Well, does hot and cold water come out when you turn the knobs? That's always a plus, lololol. otherwise, I think it's amusing.

hollym

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i've seen worse. hey, you can introduce her to the joys of a sawdust toilet too. but she'll really love that.

7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Well, if I HAD a tub, I wouldnt worry about matching, just weld up a unique handle out of scrap odds and ends. Never know when some crazy city person considers it art and pays me some big bucks for it. ;)

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

As long as hot water comes out of one of those taps and the bathtub ring hasn't turned into intelligent life I'd be fine with that tub.

If that extra tap were to dispense red wine, I'd be extremely happy with that tub. :)

9. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Looks ok to me....as long as its clean and it works who cares? And besides if you like it thats all that matters :eek:

10. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Well, its hard to want to change something that is functioning. But to stop her from buying you a set for some holiday....you might scrounge so that they look alike. Personally, the one on the far left is cool and having the others like it might be neat.

Some paint on the wall (is that the wall they are mounted on?)might make it seem cleaner to her....but if she is having problems with this...is she really a good match for such a great homestead do-it-yourselfer? :) I'm just sorry you don't live closer as I know one or two women that might think your handiness was exemplary.

11. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

bare,

If you don't want to find another tub, then there are coatings you can apply your self. It is a multi step process. It does work.

However, there are lots of newer tubs at garage sales, and I even saw one at Home Depot near the bins where I got some slabs for our new Root Cellar floor, last fall.

The re coating is not perfect like a new one -- and your tub looks like it has some rust -- I don't know if that coating stuff is designed to go over that. At least you would probably have to get the grinder out and touch it up, and you must sand and, I think, etch the surface with the cleaner they give you.

You gotta check it out at Home Depot, or some other store that sells the stuff.

You don't have to take the tub out to re-coat: that's the only advantage, you gotta decide. If I wanted it to look, and be better, I would go to the effort to replace it -- I would do whatever it took to replace it.

Have some fun,

Alex

12. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks like the main thing is it needs cleaned. Some lime and rust cleaner called the Works can be bought at Gen Dollar store that will take that right off.

I wouldn't mind the mismatched handles as long as they didn't leak and worked correctly. The 3 handles remind me of one of our rental trailers we had to redo. The middle one is for the shower head. Our rental handles was matched and worked, only was leaky.

Put up more pics, we will sure inform you of what we think. He he :eek:

13. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Like grandpa used to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

14. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Is this the bathroom that has a bidet?

15. MichelleB

MichelleB Well-Known Member

I like mismatched stuff, though I'd second the remarks on using some CLR. Funky has more than one definition, and you don't want to lean towards the one that's synonymous with "naaa-aaa-sty".

Anybody ever try boat paint? There's a brand called "Boat Coat" but I"m sure the actual moniker is "Boat-Kote" or something cute like that. Might work well on the fixtures, or the porcelain. My beau uses it on his art bus. Expensive, but lasts forever and is really durable. Same goes for the paint. :eek:

16. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

That looks like something from our milk barn. From our old milk barn that we don't use anymore. Nothing wrong with that--just saying that's what it reminds me of. If everything works and you keep it clean, I see no problem with it aesthetically.

17. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

doesnt everyone have knobs like that in their tub?

18. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Is that the Master Bath ??If so wheres the Urinal at all proper homes need one for the master bath (if theres a gentleman in the house) there about $100. each and will save on the water bill to.(yes they are flushed)

19. Jo in PA

Jo in PA Well-Known Member

Hey, I like the mismatched look! But I agree on the cleaning hints others have made.

20. poppy

poppy Guest

Bare, my advice is to keep the tub and find a new girl friend. Sounds like she is lacking in class. Take my advice, she will be nothing but problems for you. Next she'll want a bathroom door put up.