what's worse?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Al. Countryboy, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

What is worse than dressing an old 1 1/2 year old rabbit????? Dressing out a 2 1/2 year old rooster! My neighbor had given me a doe that had never gotten preg. and I dressed her last week and it wasn't very hard. Well today I decided to kill our old mean RIR rooster. I had rather dress 3 rabbits to one chicken. That chicken skin was as tough as a rabbits and a lot harder to get off. After about 3 hrs of slow cooking he was tender though. :)

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I find rabbits much easier and quicker to process than chickens I think one reason is that one can open the body cavity from stem to stern, so to speak, whereas witha chicken one has to get one's hand right inside. We rarely eat chicken nowadays - just culls for the most part. Rabbit has replaced it almost entirely. We eat it in one form or another 2 - 3 times a week.

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Good for you Maggie, and rabbit is so much healthier too. Mostly white meat even on the tough old buggers and it's lower in fat, cholesterol, and sodium and higher in protein than chicken, beef, or pork.

Personally, I like the richer flavor of a slightly older animal...the youngsters are good and tender, but the flavor just isn't as intense.

4. Al. Countryboy

I had already decided only to hatch chickens only to be used for layers not fryers. I like the taste of rabbit more than chicken and since they are easier to dress, we will be eating more rabbit. I am sure that by using the rabbit tractor that I am feeding my rabbits less feed than the chickens also.

5. MaggieJ

We had another great pot of rabbit soup tonight for supper. I have to tell you, it is just the BEST supper going. Far, far better than chicken. Better than pork or beef. Goldarnit... better than just about anything!

6. Al. Countryboy

We had the old rooster again tonight in a soup this time. Will be glad when the old boy is gone. On the other hand the 1 1/2 year old doe was tender, tasty and had more meat on her.

7. MaggieJ

Al.Countryboy - When you process your rabbits, how do you divide the meat? Usually we package the hind legs for roasting. ditto the loins, the rib cages for soup and the giblets and front legs for rabbit pie. Just curious how other people divide their bunny meat - and how they cook it.

8. Al. Countryboy

Years ago I cut them up and put all pieces together, but this was only one or two bunnies at a time. This time I have 10 to do so it would be good the separate and keep same parts together. I will definately keep your post in mind when I start freezing. Thanks

9. MaggieJ

Glad you like the idea. When you freeze the hind legs, if you put them in the bag large end first it is easier to get the air out and the sharp bones are less likely to pierce the bag. Also, the rib cages will nest nicely inside each other - again easier to exclude air. Be sure to label them well - I always think I will be able to tell, but they look different when frozen solid. So now I label carefully on masking tape.

10. MaggieJ

Okay, Al. Countryboy - now I can truly tell you what is worse than an old rooster to kill and dress. A year-old goose! We culled our aggressive gander today.... and it took me FIVE hours to pluck, eviscerate and cut up the bl&!dy thing. I'm posting about this separately on the Poultry Forum as soon as I recover form the ordeal, so if you are interested in details, you know where to find them!