Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will admit it, sometimes in the evening when I am too tired even to read a book, I will "veg" out in front of the tv for awhile. Is anybody else sick to death of all these CONTEST shows??? It makes my head spin, talent contests, dance contests, impersonator contests, comedy contests, lose weight contests, remember-the-words, contests, etc etc.....
It's just too hard to keep up with it all. When did all this stuff become so competitive??? Nowdays, the only show I look forward to watching is the good old Raymond rerun every evening. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I know what you mean; we got Dish satellite tv last fall - first time we have had television in oh, around 5 years. Everything is a challenge this or cookoff that! We have the $20 a month Family plan, so I know we aren't seeing anywhere near the kind of stuff that's on the major networks.

It's weird, I think. Don't like it much at all.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I don't like any of them, except one. The Biggest Loser. I love that show. Can't wait till the new season begins.

Edit: Oh I do love lots of other programming, too, such as the Everybody Loves Raymond episode I'm watching now. The Biggest Loser is just about the only "reality" type programming I like. One of my favorite shows is Stargate SG1, although it has been cancelled. There are lots of others. In fact, I watch too much tv.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
I watch the Fake wrestling show. The C S I shows the R F D network channel 231 Turner classic movies and used to watch the B B C ,Oh I watch A few shows on Sci-fi too other than that its news or the regular channels (the few we get in ENGLISH)

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,468 Posts
I watch NCIS, the CSI series, the weather channel, sometimes Animal Planet, and HGTV. Occasionally Food Network.

Don't watch contests, reality TV, or mental drivel sit coms.

I like to read and do watercolor painting and quilt.

·
Registered
630 Posts
suzyhomemaker09 said:
We've found this one to be fun and entertaining....it has some more adult content...but nothing that is R rated

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/burnnotice/

We are so not the lowest common denominator television watcher...never watched a single reality tv show

Burn Notice is great! Funny and fairly intelligent. NOT for kids, though. Hubby and I love it. Eureka on the SciFi channel is another fantastic show. It's on its second season, though, so it may be hard to follow at this point.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I'm not a big TV person, but my mom has been TIVOing one off of the BBC that I just love called How Clean is Your House. I love those two old British ladies. They are great fun. I do try and watch Biggest Loser in the winter, it is about the only one I make an honest attempt to watch.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
The other night, we watched a little of some show about a group of obese people walking across the country. It was boring as the dickens. All they did was whine and moan and cry about everything and each other.

I told Roger that I'd rather watch paint peel.

I hope the Fall shows are better.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Rose - I watch pretty much as you do... while sewing or doing other things.

And a few movies on the movie channels. About all I watch on network tv is some local news, and Extreme Makeover HomeEdition if it's a new one.

Angie

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I like the singing bee, thats an interesting show where they sing the songs and then stop and the contestant has to fill in the rest of the song.
I like this one show on Tues night called just for laughs where they do silly stuff to people and don't know it's a joke..
I watch alot of the news networks too, like Nancy Grace.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I’m this close (.) to canceling the dish net account – I watch very little TV and when I do feel like vegging out have been finding that there is nothing worth watching. I like The Closer and watched it Monday night, well Tuesday evening I sat down and scrolled thru the listings and The Closer was on again – the same dang episode – grrr. So why am I paying $40 a month for reruns and crap shows? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
HeavenHelpMe said:
Burn Notice is great! Funny and fairly intelligent. NOT for kids, though. Hubby and I love it. Eureka on the SciFi channel is another fantastic show. It's on its second season, though, so it may be hard to follow at this point.

We watch Eureka as well...as it is in 2nd season it's why I didn't mention it. Hubby and I are re watching The West Wing as we didn't watch it when it originally aired . Love the writing of Aaron Sorkin...am still angry that they canceled Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Eagerly awaiting the new season of Dexter on Showtime.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We don't have cable, just the regular over-the-air networks, so that is part of the problem. I really prefer reading books, but sometimes my eyes are tired, that's when I watch a little TV.
WIHH, I wish I could afford to buy DVD's of some of my favorite shows from the past. I would just as soon watch them, as what is on nowdays. I used to enjoy Northern Exposure, too. Maybe someday, when I am working again and our budget loosens up! About the only bright spot I have found on TV is sometimes PBS. I really like their summer show "History Detectives". Our local PBS station has Saturday night movies, that they run COMMERCIAL FREE :) They show a lot of classic older movies, sometimes in B&W. Last weekend they had the "Barefoot Contessa" with Humphrey Bogart & Ava Gardner, it was enjoyable. The older I get, I find I enjoy old movies from the 30's, 40's and 50's, but without cable they are hard to find. Besides the story, I enjoy seeing the clothes, cars and furnishings from those eras, even though much of it was before my time (I am a baby boomer). Each year there is less and less that I want to watch. None of the shows they are advertising for the fall, look interesting to me, so far. Maybe I am just too old, they are making shows to appeal to the younger people I guess.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I find it ironic that there are so many 'contest' shows on now when we've bent over so far trying to eliminate any element of 'contest' from our schools and sports programs.

Could it be that the public craves these kinds of evaluations and that perhaps the desire to watch them stems from a deprivation of them in general life (at least for school age folk and young adults).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.