Whats up with my pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by TNHermit, Nov 10, 2006.

1. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

OK I'm new at this. But I read that pigs would eat most anything. Well mine only like old bread,donuts and cracked corn (but not so much). They do like acorns too. But we have given him all kind of fruits and vegetable and they don't eat none of it.
    And does it hurt to give them stuff with a little meat in it. Like spaghetti or chile

2. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Ha Ha, just like kids, eating the sweets instead of what's good for them. Too much bread and donuts will just make them fat.
    If they get hungry enough I guarantee they'll eat most anything you feed them.
    Yes, meat's ok, they need protein to grow muscle. Pigs are omnivores, they can really eat most anything.

3. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I had a picky pig too. I had to harden my heart and only give him the good stuff - he only held out for a day and half before he started eating his 'veggies'. (not really veggies, but the good for him, stuff).

I thought I was the only person on the planet who ever had a 'picky' pig - who ever heard of such a thing! lol

niki

4. rj_in_MA

rj_in_MA Well-Known Member

I don't know what size your's are, but mine were picky until they hit about 70#. After that, they'd eat anything but citrus.

-rj

5. TNHermit

Well they must have an extreme sense of smell or something. i put two donuts in the bottom of a bucket of slop and they went right to the bottom. didn't even hesitate :) I watch them a lot. Neighbor doesn't think I can kill them. But after watching them for a while they are interesting but there just eating, fertilizing machines. the one is gettin a little freindly. Seems when I'm there he likes to come over and sniff me a lot

6. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

I honestly believe Rudy would starve before he ate some of the veggies I have tried to give him. He likes them less than most 3 year olds.
    Spaghetti is at the top of his list....also likes little debbie cakes.
    I'm glad to hear mine is not the only picky one as I was begining to doubt my cooking.....

7. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Hmmm... we just got three little pigs, about 40 pounds each, just weaned 7 1/2 weeks ago.

Since they've never had doughnuts, cake, or little debbie cakes, they aren't holding out for them...

They don't eat citrus (though they did nibble at it in interest for a little bit) they chow down on their pig pellets just fine, and I give them extra goat milk, cabbage leaves, cracked corn. They even eat chicken scratch. Maybe it's because we have three of them and they compete for the food. This morning they got the leftover chicken scraps that we didn't eat or save for us and loved them.

I give them EVERYTHING - carrot and potato peels, milk, bread crusts, chicken scraps, plus their pig pellets. I plan to mix my own feed after the second 50 pound bag is gone though - I don't seem to be able to get it through to our feed store that we don't want medicated feed.

SO... I'll feed a 4 to 1 ratio of cracked corn to soybean meal. They also get the leftover stuff from the kitchen, plus the extra goat milk, and will likely get any surplus eggs as well, though we don't have any surplus eggs yet. They also root around in the soil, and can eat the grass, the roots, and of course acorns when they are turned loose.

I don't know if doughnuts and cakes will make good pork or not.. and I suspect it would be best to save that for "treats".

But what do I know? I'm not an old hand at this myself :)

8. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Hermit, when that pig comes over to sniff you out he is not proposing a pact of friendship, he is wondering how you would taste.
    Ox

9. TNHermit

Yea your right. I've noticed that . And the other day he took a little nip at my shoe. We may have a hog roast before long. I don't like this ones attitude

10. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Get a stick and scratch his back when he comes over. At first it'll make him nervous and he'll back away, but soon he'll be coming just to get scratched.

11. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

Aw, I have a gilt who is like a dog when I'm in the pen. Comes up and wants a scratch, wants to see if I brought her eggs. (her favorite treat) I don't think she wants to eat me! She has taken a nip at a boot or my pants and I have put her in her place though.

kids