whats this plant?? its a weed... i think you can eat

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by wizzard, May 4, 2005.

1. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

http://foragingpictures.com/plants/Honewort/h0001.htm

i have it growing a bit around here, this is the only picture i have found of it on the internet. at the site the picture is at it is called honewort. however, when i looked up honewort in google, it consistantly gave a completely different plant.

so, anybody have a clue?

2. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

No, that is not honewort,

That (I suspect) is Wild Geranium, Cranesbill Geranium, Spotted Cranesbill (call it whichever you want) Geranium maculatum is it's botannical name. (Though it could be Herb Robert, Geranium robertianum.) (hard to tell from the photo).

To my knowledge it is not edible. It is medicinal, it is used as a styptic (stops bleeding) and I know that the tea has been used but I can't remember what for. I have never used it. The flower is pretty though.

Where do you live? That info would be helpful. A copy of "Newcomb's Wildflower guide" will help you tremendously with id's if you live in the East/Northeast.

so I wouldn't eat it.

David

I should also add that whatever advice you receive on the internet you should take with a grain of salt.... mine included.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i agree- wild geranium. it doesn't show up in either peterson guide as medicinal or edible.

just pretty.:)

ps- just because someone posts it on the net, doesn't mean it is correct.

4. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

5. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

6. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

I know that Hibiscus trionum (Not Hibicus) does occur in the wild in Va. I have never found it. So I can't help you much with that one.

David