what's the troy built secret?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by poppy, Feb 17, 2005.

1. poppy

poppy Guest

All my life i have used front tine tillers, mostly old used ones. Sometimes they were a little rough to handle. I finally took the plunge and bought a new troy built rear tine. This thing is like wrestling a bear. I have locked the wheels and adjusted the rear bar and tried to follow the directions. It lurches forward at times, dragging me with it. Once it lurches forward, you can't let go of the handle. There is no way I could walk beside it like the picrures show. My garden is very loose, so I know it isn't hard ground. Any ideas?

2. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

How fast are you trying to go through the garden? I only had problems with mine, when I had it set to dig to deep, and breaking new ground at a fast speed.

3. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

dunno I borrowed an old troy built Horse model 8HP that is close to 25 years of age on it, broke new ground and it handled pretty nice, i couldnt walk beside it in the first couple of times going over it, but i could after that.

Anyhow troybuilt is to much in love with thier tillers, although not as much as a BCS so i went and purchased a Ace model 6.5 horse reartine, which only has one gear forward but it is slow enough to walk beside it in broken ground.

So I guess what i am trying to get at is maybe the gear ratio isnt what it is suppose to be, although sometimes I do forget to consider that i am 250 pounds and have been since before trying to wrestle one of those tillers..... so i have an advantage.

William

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

LOL Poppy....I have that problem with my tiny little Mantis :D
    My solution won't help you though....my hubby is not for rent ;)

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

In loose ground the rear tine Troy Built won't lurch at all. It practically walks itself. What I like is that you can maneuver it on a second pass walking at the side of the tiller. The oversized tires are also a major control advantage over the skinny tires of other brands. The back tine box also has good depth controls.
    The bronze worm gear is one thing that you pay for in a Troy Built that I believe is worth it. In about 15 years of hard use, my Troy Built 8 h.p. only required the normal tune up and maintenance and tine blade sharpening a few times.

6. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Sharpening? When they're new they are nice and blunt and the more you use them the sharper and more pointed they become and then have to be replaced. Never heard of sharpening them :confused:

7. poppy

poppy Guest

Maybe I was just running it too fast. Thanks for the help.

8. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Poppy, I had the same problem, but it was because I had the tines digging too deep. Raise the tines and see if that helps.

9. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

When we first got our Troybilt quite a few years ago, I couldn't even run it -- it could buck and lurch so much that only my husband could completely control it. We had decided that their reputation was all in the marketing until the shop we had sent it to every spring called and wanted to know why we had the tines on backwards . . . and they were the ones who'd set it up severa years before! Since then, it has run great and digs well -- no more bucking or lurching, even when it hits the occasional hard spot.

10. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

Mine does that when I try to go too deep before the soil is loosened and I have to raise it up some. If I take it slow and steady, not trying to till too deeply, making several passes over the same ground, I can walk beside it and hold it with one hand. It practically tills all by itself. If you hit a clump of tough roots or compacted soil, it might buck and take off skipping though. It takes a bit of practice and getting to know your machine. I love mine. I'm a woman with arthritis and it is wonderful for me.

11. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Depends on which troybuilt you have. IF you have a real troy built, it could be the tines are backwards, or your trying to till too deep, or you hit a root or something that would grab the tine. Even a baseball size rock could buck it. I have no problem tilling walking beside mine with one hand holding the handle.
    Now if you have one of those cheap MSD troy builts, then you got a piece of junk. Troybuilt went bankrupt about 3 years ago (i thinkit was 3years), and MSD bought the name and assets. They then started manufacturing tillers and threw the troy built name on it, but one problem with that. they were subbing out the manufacturing to a chinese company. A year later or so, Murray bought the troybuillt name and brought the manufacturing back to the US and started manufacturing back in tullahoma tn, but then offshored the manufacturing the next year in mexico. SO your getting what you pay for, cheap offshore manufacturing crap. Now ifyou have a old one, you can still get original parts. There is a big warehouse full of parts.

12. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

ugh i sold mine.... i miss my little front time dirt blaster.

that torybilt tank did just that, didnt matter the speed or depth, damn near tore my arms off unless it was good soft dirt already then it was smooth.

I got a shaft drive second hand rear mount tiller for my old bolens husky, I sit in first gear and it eats thru whatever I drive over.

if I had a huge well tilled garden to turn under mulch and stuff, sure TB is great... dont hit a hard patch or wave bye bye to one of your arms.