What's the soil like in Washington State?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tngirl, May 28, 2004.

1. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the soil is like in Washington. Eastern Washington, that is.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

U would suggest going on line and checking out the U S D A soil charts for the state and county you are thinking about.

3. Joy in Eastern WA

Joy in Eastern WA Well-Known Member

tngirl, EWS has many different soil types, and climates! Everything from solid rock to the finest soil ever found can be had on the eastern side. Temperature ranges as broad as you can think of too!

4. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

Joy is right.

I have a variety of soil types just on my property. Most of it is pretty gravelly/sandy decomposed granite. Then there are patches of clay.

We get about 25 inches of rainfall a year. Technically, this is "mountain desert", but trees do grow! Well, conifers anyway.

5. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

Eastern Washington has a variety of soils, Here I have some nice soil, been farmed and ammended for many years. My grandfather had 40 acres (this is the last 3 acres left) but even on that 40 it was different in diffent corners of the place. Nearby they grow wheat dryland and then other irrigated crops, 7 miles away from our place (at a friends) I think the best crop is "rocks" So be sure if you are buying around here, walk the place as it can really vary and still be on the same farm!
    Denise