Whats the scoop on Scioto Ohio?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paranoid, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

I'm looking to move and started seeing this. I found a tentative job in KY, and a nice brick house on 10 acores in OH.

Does anyone here live in Scioto County? Whats it like? How's the crime, the growing season, the people etc etc.

ty:)

2. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

I live in the next Co. west. Scioto is very hilly, people are nice. Crime is about what you would expect anywhere, a few meth labs, some b&e, and the usual family stuff. Many nice properties there from when Portsmith was booming. Portsmith is strung out along the Scioto River between the river and the mountains. Floods about every spring. Scioto Co. is also the home to one of the best swap meets I've ever been to. You can buy anything from guns to livestock twice a year nr Lucasville. State prison in Lucasville.

3. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

blue creek hit the nail on the head.

One thing he failed to metion is that Scioto county is full of homes people paid way too much to build . I built homes for fifteen years in the area many in scioto county.

Many clients over built, they had enough money to get it done , but I warned them you know this will never sell for what you have in it.

Most didn't care they built what they wanted and planned to live thier till they died.
    As they die the kids will knowing what went into those properties find they are loosing money on resales. So be careful about how much you spend there.

Plenty of houses in scioto county available for 80K 120K will get you a nice one with some land.

I prefer Adams county for property values and proximity to KY if I had the choice.
    If the piketon enrichment plant does close down which they are always threatening to do Scioto property values will drop even lower. There is just not much industry there.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I grew up in the South Webster/Portsmouth area and the above is about what I remember. Grandpas family farm is still there and I go back every once in a while. If you meet Dixons or Turners.....chances are I'm related to em'. :)

5. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

thanks everyone, so basically a good place to live it looks like, how is the seasons? good growing season? it looked like it got 3" a month every month basically, and seemed to have relatively mild winters right?

6. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

It's in zone 5. I'm farther north, so I suspect the winters are a bit milder than they are here. The growing season goes from about mid to late May until late September, early October. There are definately 4 distinct seasons! Hopefully someone closer can fill you in on the soil quality. Best of luck with the job!

7. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

Born there back in 1959. Grandparents lived there birth to death as did their parents. My mom was living in Huntington WV with my dad, and swore that she'd not give birth in WV, and made my dad drive back to Mercy Hospital in Portsmouth for my birth! Ha--the next two kids WERE born in WV--northern so I think mom felt less of a hillbilly. She's always had a problem with WV although she lives there still.

I haven't been back to Portsmouth/Wheelersburg, etc., for 4-5 years but it changed so much that when I was there I hardly recognized it!

Nothing constructive to add to the descriptions --just amazed to see it pop up on HT! :)

Vanessa
    near Nashville

8. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Here's all you need to know about the weather 'round here:

"It's not usually like this."

I'm serious. Since we moved here we've been told that every season. We finally caught on the normal weather really is "It's not usually like this".

Makes gardening a gamble every year. You never know what's going to thrive and what's going to tank on you.

That 3" a month, every month, is really deceptive. This year it's been as dry, hot baked earth days followed by getting it all in an hour and watching it wash gravel driveway all the way down the hills to downtown. Other years, it's been in an entire summer where every day is light drizzle and there wasn't any sunshine until just before the early frost. :)

Two big things to watch for when you buy land:

1. When you get 4 - 6 inches of rain in an hour, what is the drainage pattern for your land. Really study elevation patterns, look at the roads for where the water damage goes, and be wary of building on unproven land.

2. Watch for the possibility of mine sinkholes under your house. As with the flash flooding, sticking to land that's had a house on it for 100+ years makes life a bit easier.

We bought a 2 year old house build on the site of where a house stood for 100 years. Made it really tough to dig the garden beds, but whoever originally homesteaded this piece really knew what they were doing when they chose the site.

Winters might be mild some years, but usually "aren't usually like this". Sciotie is going to catch some good freezing rain some years. We're just a bit north and east, and we usually are just above the edge of ice storms. A mild winter year means you can expect a truly wicked tick season the following spring.

Another thing - even within a single county in this area, you can get a lot of variation in weather. We even have big differences across our 15 acres, and in winter we can have 20 - 30 degree temp differences between right near the house and the spot we call the "Spring comes early" spot. And when we watch the weather radar, we normally see big storms come at us and then break apart when they hit our hills. Then they form back up and soak the folks 5 miles up the road.

It's a really cool place to live. Just hard to predict the weather. :)

Lynda

9. cows50

cows50 Active Member

Wow! I was amazed someone knew where Scioto co. was. I was born and raised there in small town called Minford, about 20-25 minutes from Portsmouth. Our family had a dairy farm (my madien name is McKenzie) in case anyone would remember that name.

Summers are hot and humid and the garden will need watering. Winters can be icy but usually not to awful snowy. (except for the winter of 77-78 if anyone remembers that.

People are genrally nice and friendly but from what I hear from old friends the drug thing is going up.

Schools are good I have a sister and BIL teaching at West Portsmouth and a Brother teaching at the local Catholic High School (Notre Dame). Also there is a good community college.

To go and find a job there out of the blue might be kind of hard, easier if you already know someone on the inside.
    Hope this helps.

10. ozark_jewels

Oh, this thread is bringing back memories...... :)

11. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

Cows50--

my great great grandma lived in Minford --near it, anyway. Her last name was Deaver--can't immediately recall her first name--I called her Mamaw. Outhouse, crank telephone, water pump in kitchen sink--I LOVED visiting her place. My (great great) Aunt Gladys lived there, too. They were both really old and lived to be even older. I am looking at a picture of Mamaw right now...

it's truly a small world.

Vanessa
    near Nashville

12. ozark_jewels

My aunt lived in Minford for years......she now lives closer to Wheelersburg.

13. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

vancom all my kids were born at Cabell Huntington hospital in Huntington WV .

My daughter is a pharmacist there now. lgs lgs and melissa are both right the weather is unpredictable there. I lived through a ten day power outage there four years ago because of a terrible ice storm. But my gardens normally did well in the few omths of growing season we enjoyed. Fog from the river is a morning problem in the area and it frosts early probablly getting ready for first frost any day now.

lgslgs is right about the sinkholes, never seen that except in Pike , Jackson and Scioto counties. But when they sink they sink. Not freguently but you never know. Get a good house and land inspection and make sure your insurance covers all except the standard flood .

14. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

We had a littl bit of sparkle on the trees with that one. Power never even blipped.

Now on the south end of our county they had a huge mess!

Lynda

15. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

OMG!!! I was born in Portsmouth Ohio, May, 1960!!! This is like old home week!! My sister still lives in South Webster, I believe...if the name hasn't changed....anyone ever go to Greenup Dam on the Ohio??? :) Wow....this is bringing back some memories....
    OzarkJewels, I went to school in Wheelersburg!!! {til 9th grade}. My maiden name is Elliott...but don't think there is still anyone there with that last name.....

16. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Scioto Co. has Scioto state forest west of Portsmouth, that's the only place in Ohio that a paved road has been closed to protect the rattlesnakes that are becoming rare. Seems they lay around on the warm pavement and get run over, so the only logical thing to do is close the road (your tax dollars at work). :)

17. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I'm closer to Lawrence Co.,but I'm very familiar with Scioto. Portsmouth,Wheelersburg,New Boston,Lucasville...yep,I know all those places well. I was just in Wheelersburg last week. Portsmouth is pretty cool...the flood wall murals are nice and there are some good antique stores.
    My Mom was born in Huntington,WV...I know that area well,too. Actually,most of my family are from West Virginia,but I was born over here in Kentucky.
    I don't really know what else to say about this area,except it's not a bad place to live :)

18. yorkiedogsfg

yorkiedogsfg New Member

I have lived here for 42 years, all of my life. I think it is a great place to live and grow up. i live in minford know also. was raised just outside of Lucasville on Big Run Road. My family here in Minford have been in these parts for a long time. Our last name is Fyffe.